Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

Learn more about incomparable Brad Thorn

Cheslin Kolbe dazzling run, no look pass

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Ludovic Mercier crazy reverse pass

One Year to Go 'til Rugby World Cup 2015

Biggest Hits in World Rugby in August

Why you should always tackle low

Female Streaker has no regrets

Monday, April 29, 2013

Jonny Wilkinson seals Man of the Match performance with trademark drop goal

Above is a short piece from what was a fascinating interview with Man of the Match Wilkinson after the game. Here he is talking about the final, but when asked about the Lions, he was as humble as ever.

"The Lions is difficult for me because it's not at all that I wouldn't consider it, it would be fabulous," he told Sky Sports. "It's up there with the most amazing experiences you can get in rugby.

"But I watch guys like Owen Farrell, Toby Flood, Dan Biggar and Jonathan Sexton and it is them who are driving rugby forward. Perhaps they should be the ones driving this tour forward as well.

"I'm digging my fingernails in and hanging on really and watching these guys is what it’s all about.

When asked what he said to Farrell on the floor, he explained: "I said, 'Listen mate, that’s a bit lucky. I apologise for that one.' He smashed me as well."

Page: 12View All

Clermont make Heineken Cup Final after tense Munster win

Jonny Wilkinson steers Toulon to victory over Leicester

Jonny Wilkinson - The Real Story - Parts 5-8

Jonny Wilkinson - The Real Story - Parts 1-4

England vs Australia 2003 RWC Final

Posted in Heineken Cup, See it to Believe it

Honisett2002 April 29, 2013 7:10 pm

such a sportsman - through and through - if he's not on the plane its a crime, he's been amazing in France for the past few years and is at the moment the inform fly half for England, no questions.

Tobo April 29, 2013 7:29 pm

The guy's been immense all year, watching him yesterday vs. Saracens showed that he is still better than any English no. 10 around right now. Get him on the plane, Gatland!!

Haldir April 29, 2013 7:45 pm

You just can't argue against taking him, he's one of the form 10's in the world, he has a proven record in Aus. Brian Moore summed it up well - with 20 to go in a close test, bringing Jonny on would strike the fear into the Aussies, I really hope he, Sexton and Madigan go as the 10 options.

Hernan April 29, 2013 8:53 pm

We'll gladly take him for the Pumas if the Lions do not want him

Juggernauter April 29, 2013 10:19 pm

Should abolutely travel as back up for Sexton. Biggar, Weir, Jackson, O'Gara just arenĀ“t that good to make the Lions and honestly Farrell can kick goals and tackle but he can't get a backline moving, and in the hard pitches of Oz that'll be a must. Wilko is a master at finishing games and he's up there with BOD and O'Connell in the experience front, so I say take him, Gats, you won't regret it.

thunor April 30, 2013 12:05 am

I'm surprised that Charlie Hodgson hasn't been mentioned more. He might not be a 'fashionable' player, but he is probably the best passing fly-half bar none, and his kicking has been superb lately. Even his defence seems pretty good, which has been an area cited as his weakness.

If they want something different to those names being bandied around, I think he could be a seriously good pick. He might be towards the end of his career, but on present form I think he could be an excellent choice - he has certainly been superior to Farrell in every area aside from place kicking.

Guy April 29, 2013 10:24 pm

Great gestures between both flyhalfs as they watch the ball sail through the uprights; Wilko consoling Farell, Farell congratulating Wilko.

That's rugby through and through. God I love this sport!!!

browner April 30, 2013 3:45 pm

So do I, thats why Gougers, high hitting tacklers Biters, & limb bend/breakers should be removed from the sport.

Be Physically very hard, but always be fair.

Pete April 30, 2013 10:12 am

What really sets Wilkinson apart is things like his reaction to the final whistle in this clip. He walks straight to his opposite number and then his old rival for the England 10 jersey, Charlie Hodgson and makes a point of shaking their hands and congratulating them on a good game before he joins in with the celebrations of the rest of his team. He practically pushes two of his own team away to allow him to do so. That's a sportsman right there.

peter UK April 30, 2013 11:23 am

There is or never has been any doubt about the skill and class of JW, but you have to put your Management head on when making huge decisions of selection and look at the whole picture, asking the questions "How do I Manage this guy" will JC's body cope with the stress and strain of gruelling tour after a long season? and does this mean I need to keep him wrapped up in cotton wool for the or 3 or 4 province games, where make no mistake he will be targeted to be taken out before the first test? also what will our Test tactical game plan be to accommodate JC, keep it tight, rolling mauls and wait for the mistakes for JC to cash in on? the man is a sporting legend but has he got one more swan song in him, I think not.

Canadian content April 30, 2013 4:58 pm

I'm not ashamed to say I had tears in my minds over the beauty of the moment after Jonny hit the sealing droppie. The young, ambitious up and comer striving to everything possible to win and falling short, yet being consoled by the old master who knows both the pain of defeat and the joy of victory. Beautiful.

Jonny will tour eventually, has to, otherwise gatland is a fool

Guest April 30, 2013 5:26 pm

Any chance of seeing highlights of the whole game? I missed it and am interested to see the wasted Sarries try scoring opportunities/

Ben April 30, 2013 11:00 pm