Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Learn more about incomparable Brad Thorn

Female Streaker has no regrets

Brian O'Driscoll Breakdown Masterclass

Mike Brown's great try saving tackle

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Southland sensational try after big bump

Tana Umaga smashes into brother Mike

Horwill & Bismarck Du Plessis slaps

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Prop Coenie Oosthuizen's knockout run and two tries vs the Hurricanes

Cheetahs prop Coenie Oosthuizen is fast becoming a fan facourite for the way that he carries and handles the ball, and of course his power up front. Against the Hurricanes he was on the losing side, but scored twice and made one big charge in particular.

Still just 24-years-old, and weighing in at a whopping 125kg's plus, the front rower affectionately known as Shrek earned his first Springbok cap against against England last year.

A product of the presitgious Grey College, Oosthuizen has become a try-scorer of note for the Cheetahs, and one to watch with ball in hand. In recent years he has had back and neck problems, but against the Hurricanes he showed that he's looking as strong as ever.

The Cheetahs came close but a 39-34 home defeat will have been a dissapointment after such an impressive overseas tour. Oosthuizen crossed twice with powerful tries, and earlier made a huge charge that knocked strong tackler Jack Lam to the turf.

"He was a little bit unlucky, I think I caught him on the wrong foot," said Oosthuizen at the halftime on-field interview. "I feel bad for him, hopefully he's okay."

Lam had to leave the field but he has been announced in the Hurricanes' starting lineup for their upcoming clash with the Chiefs at the Cake Tin. The Cheetashs will host the Reds on Saturday.

View the match highlights

Extended highlights of the Cheetahs vs the Hurricanes from Bloemfontein

Time: 12:22
Credit: ttrugbyvids

Posted at 8:41 am | 24 comments

Opeti Fonua smashes through Chris Masoe in 2010

Jonny Wilkinson absolutely smashed by huge Opeti Fonua

The Top Five Best 'Fatman' Tries of all time

Jack Lam's big hand-off and hits against the Bulls

Posted in See it to Believe it

Number 7 May 16, 2013 11:15 am

Pretty impressive

SpencaH May 16, 2013 11:32 am

had a stormer in that game, but still needs to proove himself at an international level as my lasting memory of him is numerous penalties and sin binnings when playing for the Boks

Facepalm May 16, 2013 12:14 pm

Bloody hell . The intensity of super rugby really is worlds apart from anything we see in the aviva or rabo.

TotesMcGoates May 16, 2013 1:52 pm

The natural comparison would be to the Heineken Cup, in fairness.

Atilla May 16, 2013 12:33 pm

Never heard of him, but he looks a pretty impressive player to me.

Sibu May 16, 2013 1:25 pm

I guess we all want to smash into someone, please watch my semi-runs

View Videos

DrG May 16, 2013 3:29 pm

Yeh go on, I'll give you a like for those, shame there was a turnover on the first one, second one had me laughing with some of those fearful tackle attempts from the backs!

Sibu May 16, 2013 3:59 pm

stroudos May 16, 2013 8:40 pm

Nice one. Decent offload too.

Sibu May 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Thank you Stroudos.

Guy May 16, 2013 1:54 pm

Juggernaut would be a more appropriate name for this guy.

"I feel bad for him, hopefully he's okay." Seems to have some proper character too.

Gonzoman May 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Yeesh, what a unit! Seems like a decent fellow, too.

DrG May 16, 2013 3:41 pm

Guy already mentioned it, this guy seems like a good bloke, definitely humble (at the moment anyway). Nice to see him show some support for the Lam and not adopt the "Yeh, I smashed him" stance.

He seems like a thorough handful, never stops running. Brilliant tries, brilliant runs and I don't look forward to him being in the boks (if he gets another cap that is..)

As the 100+ cap pro rugby player mercenary millionaire that I am, I would however comment on a part of his technique: "tongue out in concentration".. might be wise to keep that tongue IN, to avoid losing part of it if you do happen to bite down hard, gumshield won't stop that.

Ando May 16, 2013 10:04 pm

"The. Bus. Is. Full!" - haha great comment

Tc May 16, 2013 10:49 pm

He looks an immensely powerful guy, but lets be honest, going high in the first tackle can be forgiven, but when a guy is getting that much momentum, you don't try and smash him chest height every time he gets the ball thereafter. you take the legs and then stop any further rolls or leg driving. Very naive defending

HeavyHooker May 17, 2013 12:09 am

I think I'll show this to my juniors as an example of how NOT to tackle a big guy. His last try with all those yellow shirts standing up to stop him is poor technique, one guy low would have brought that whole deck of bricks down 2 - 3 meters short. That being said, you have to love a team that sees the awesome potential of a prop to run the ball; that too I will tell to my juniors.

DrG May 17, 2013 12:37 am

....well..yes... as long as you bring a decent thin bladed spade to scrape up the "one guy low" afterwards, a good heavy roller to get rid of the imprint left and enough subs to keep refreshing the process XD

waxy90 May 17, 2013 1:31 am

Wow Coenie is the real deal!!

Canadian content May 17, 2013 1:34 am

Agreed, what people fail to remember is that big guys usually have big legs too, that are not fun to tangle with. You've got to try and get a guy this size in the mid section or try to use his momentum against him and hip throw him to the ground. Either way, he's a truck and Lam is no slouch. I wouldn't be lookig to put the big hit on him that's for sure.

dave May 18, 2013 8:24 am

Sometimes I find the idea of trying to smash a monster on the field is really not worth it, if it's on the try line you have no choice because it's all or nothing but if you find yourself in the open field I find a good tactic is to avoid the force vs force collision and focus your energy on grabbing and holding onto him while trying to trip him or weigh him down

browner May 20, 2013 1:14 pm

The rhino charge - so last century, give me a player who uses footwork before contact any day. Unless injuring the opposition is your main game strategy .....

Guy May 21, 2013 5:59 pm

I guess you mean footwork by the defending player, to get out of the way?!

CEO Front Row Union May 24, 2013 3:22 am

Brings a smile to a fat mans face