Sebastien Chabal knocks out Marc Giraud

Brian O'Driscoll brilliance against NZ

Friday Funnies - Alex Grove's freak try

Malakai Fekitoa smashes Conrad Smith

Mourad Boudjellal on building Toulon

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Impressive big hit in USA Rugby playoffs

This is a quick clip of a must see (and hear!) tackle from the USA Rugby Playsoffs recently, in a game between New Orleans and PAC. The hit itself was so solid that the sound could be heard from the stands. Not bad considering that there was no referee microphone.

You'll notice a call for a yellow card. We can assume that it was because the guy felt that the tackler wasn't back 10 from the quick tap, and not because he thought that the tackle was illegal.

Huge hit, and worth sharing for the sound effect alone.

Time: 0:13
Credit: busbeepbeep

Posted in Big Hits & Dirty Play

Riggler May 22, 2013 5:13 pm

Yellow card my arse!!

the truth May 22, 2013 5:14 pm

not 10, completely valid call.

jbartram10 May 22, 2013 5:28 pm

Just because he wasn't 10 doesn't mean he should get a yellow, way to harsh... Great hit too

Tom May 23, 2013 12:01 am

It can be a yellow card, I've been yellow carded for not being 10m before.

In my defense I was coming out from a collapsed maul when I saw their scrum half running at me so I just tackled him and got pinged and yellowed straight away. Not realizing it was a penalty.

So it depends on the ref, if a team has been constantly been offside or whatever the ref will eventually lose his patience. And in my case I was just wrong place at the wrong time.

DrG May 23, 2013 10:33 am

Sometimes it also depends on how well behaved you've been just prior to not being 10...

Whoa May 22, 2013 6:17 pm

I was shaking my head the first time that I heard the cry for a yellow card on the video. Sour grapes, I thought. Sorry to see his buddy lit up.

However, upon further review, the tackler was barely 5 meters back, so while the tackle itself was completely clean, the circumstances behind it warrant a yellow card. The player receiving the ball had reason to assume that he would not be destroyed after taking only a few steps due to the obligation of the defense to get back 10. It's a professional foul either way, which could warrant a yellow card, but beyond that, the professional foul ended with a potential injury to the tackled player.

I think if I had the whistle, with how quick this happened, I wouldn't have given a card either. But having the benefit of the rewind, I think a yellow card would certainly be justified here.

piano May 22, 2013 5:20 pm

you recognize a well done tackle by the sound. and this is so fucking regular!

Cheese May 22, 2013 5:24 pm

Follow-up tackle was a mess though!

Andy May 22, 2013 5:49 pm

As I have noticed since I have moved back to the states, no one has a good grasp on what the rules are. Ignore the yellow card call...

Rich May 22, 2013 5:50 pm

been several yellows in the Aviva premiership for obstructing a quick penalty. Its by law a professional foul, so a yellow card is the recommended punishment

sketch May 22, 2013 5:51 pm

never a yellow card and its the refs call if he was 10 which he didnt and let play go on nice hit shame about the 2nd tackle

Boom May 22, 2013 5:55 pm

Seriously, the Refs Sucked all weekend! Period.

stuck May 22, 2013 6:13 pm

I can't stop replaying that hit.

ginge May 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Should only be a yellow if it was persistent offending. It is cynical to tackle within 10, but should only be a warning for first offence. The worst part of the lot is people thinking they make the call on whether it is a yellow or not. Tuck it in sunshine, this isn't football, respect the ref, don't berate him.

Floridarugby May 22, 2013 6:56 pm

Refs in the US are really poor.

Mattsicles May 22, 2013 7:11 pm

The call for the yellow card was for the tackle. I would wager an awful lot of money the bloke thought it was a yellow card because he tackled him without a helmet on. He wasn't ten back granted, but who is nowadays, especially off a quick tap? He would only be carded if he had slowed play down deliberately which he didn't.

Conman May 22, 2013 7:52 pm

I'd say that tackle fairly slowed him down, no?

Canadian content May 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Not ten, no real attempt, touchies should help with that, took advantage to lay a big hit, otherwise not capable as he completely blew the next tackle lol, easy yellow

stroudos May 22, 2013 9:09 pm

*DUV* Love it.

The most satisfying sensory experience in rugby. Other than perhaps the liberating joy of aquaplaning 5+ metres over the tryline on a soggy pitch. Actually scrap that, the resounding thwack of shoulder into ribcage is surely unsurpassable.

bubblesdv May 22, 2013 11:31 pm

the only impressive thing about this tackle is the sound... by all other accounts it's a run of the mill hit... (nothing to see here, move along!)

TotesMcGoates May 22, 2013 11:32 pm

In fairness to the ref, after a couple of views, I think the call for a yellow card comes from some goon in the crowd.

Iamaguest May 23, 2013 4:02 am

Only a yellow card if in the red zone or persistent infringement.

Basic laws surely?

hagmiester May 23, 2013 10:17 am

You are correct.

It is on the ten meter line so there was not a try scoring opportunity. It did have material effect so as a result it would have been another penalty for being offside.

As for the yellow card call, the whites could have been offside all day which is frustrating for a team playing against that kind of behaviour.

Macca9 May 23, 2013 10:24 am

partisan crowds always call for a penalty/card. I'm sure i've heard our supporters call for a card from a knock on before :D

ClassicGav May 26, 2013 10:13 am

So is the rugby! Don't complain to or about the ref just shut up and play on.