Huge crunching tackle on USA club rugby

Catch up with MND sufferering Bok legend

Southland sensational try after big bump

Eddie Butler on Jonny Wilkinson career

Horwill & Bismarck Du Plessis slaps

Ben Tameifuna banned for pushing referee

Joe Marler and his unsual pets

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Biggest Hits in World Rugby in August

Thursday, May 23, 2013

TJ Perenara makes big hit then later gets punched in the face by Liam Messam

As we head into round fifteen of Super Rugby here is a quick look at two incidents from an eventful game between the Hurricanes and the Chiefs in Wellington last weekend. They're largely unrelated to one another, other than Perenara being involved in both.

Starting early in the game, dynamic scrumhalf TJ Perenara stopped fullback Robbie Robinson dead in his tracks with a solid chest high hit. It might have snuck up a little as Robinson ducked into it slightly, but Perenara showed that for a little guy, he packs a bit of punch.

And a punch is what he was on the receiving end of later in the game, when he and Liam Messam got in a bit of a tangle after winger Asaeli Tikoirotuma dropped in a heap as the Hurricanes tried to get the ball to take a quick lineout.

After a bit of push and shove, Messam, who is never far from a boxing ring, gave the nuggety number nine a short shot, which Perenara wasn't afraid to tell everyone about.

As you'll see [that video is on page two], referee Lourens Van Der Merwe felt that while it was a closed fist, it was more of a love tap than a genuine punch, so only a penalty was necessary.

Below is the big collision early in the game, and you can view the Messam punch here

Page: 12View All

The Chiefs Dance Video (Liam Messam Remix)

Andre Taylor scores again with brilliant finish vs Rebels

Corey Flynn and Liam Messam tussle sorts itself out

Canadian content May 24, 2013 1:12 am

Huge hit by TJ, love it.

I know I am gonna get lambasted here and my manhood and knowledge of rugby questioned but I wouldn't mind seeing a yellow for the short punch. A closed fist to the head is a straight red, this was done for no reason other than to intimidate the opponent or start a fight, I'd have no problem seeing a yellow for that. I hate all of the pushing and shoving after the whistle, its dumb in hockey its dumb here.

matt May 24, 2013 5:16 pm

I'm with you, I wouldn't mind seeing a yellow, he knew what he was doing, it was unnecessary and done just as a method of intimidation. However, I do like that the referees pulled their heads out of the rule book and applied some sense, a punch from that range is never going to do any damage, so why impact the game for it?

Wilko May 27, 2013 4:43 am

I never though that I would see the day where Rugby fans would rather see a yellow card than a bit of biffo...SMH. These kinds of tussles were the norm not too long ago, and fans accepted it as a small part of this physical, confrontational game.

Many Rugby fans, or the princesses, are slowly deteriorating into soccer fans where they believe that any type of physicality that frightens them should be penalized to its fullest, whilst hoping for extreme bans. I see it in almost every RD blog and its disgustingly feminine.

TotesMcGoates May 24, 2013 1:46 am

Nice hit.

Silly stuff from Messam, he could have easily got a yellow for that. I'm glad the officials had enough sense to realise that there was nothing much in it. Correct call and some good officiating from the ref and also the TMO.

Pchig May 24, 2013 2:26 am

Awesome gamesmanship from Perenara, he lured big, dumb Messam into the punch and won a penalty for it. Wait till he gets among some of those big Saffa forwards! He is going to be a good prospect for that ABs 9 jumper for many years to come.

Pipo May 24, 2013 5:53 am

Who is #11? Is it Savea? Seems like he pretended to be an actor there for a moment, barely got touched and still went down like if he had gotten punched for real. Disgraceful. Wish he had gotten a card for acting.

TotesMcGoates May 24, 2013 7:16 am

11 for the Chiefs is Tikoirotuma.

Tom May 24, 2013 7:25 am

Looked like Tikoirotuma might have accidently been winded by Ash Dixon?

beerholder May 24, 2013 7:39 am

OMG, THE VIOLENCE!!! Since when did Rugby turned into Soccer? First, one player shoves an opponent to get to the ball and that one starts crawling on the ground, and after that, a little push of the fist to the jaw is even considered a punch??? And since when do the refs take halfbacks seriously?

Let's get realistic here, people. If they can manage 150kg/force impacts, they might as well take a little push or a pathetic quarter punch which seemed more like a friendly gesture than a violent act... Players today would do anything to start whining on the ref. There's no honor left in rugby anymore. Disgraceful.

matt May 24, 2013 5:18 pm

And the honour comes from "punching" someone who is stopping you from cheating does it?
And for the penalty in the first clip, I'm glad he was penalised, people get away with that sort of thing on pretty much every kick. We complain that too much kicking is ruining the game, but it would be a damn sight more interesting if players were actually allowed to get to the ball like they're supposed to.

Canadian content May 24, 2013 10:34 pm

No apparently the honour is in punching a man that you outweigh by 15-20 kilos.

FoXtroT May 24, 2013 10:26 am

I have to put this out there but I really do not like this ref, I think he is a disgrace to the other South African refs. He acts like such a flippen arsehole all the time I can't stand it.

DrG May 24, 2013 12:09 pm

Out of interest why? Whilst watching these clips I thought he performed well:

1st offence:
Blew the whistle when touch judge had flag out.
Conferred with the touch judge to find out the offence.
Didn't go overboard and left it as just a penalty.

2nd:
Heard about incident.
Used all tools available to him (TMO).
Used his judgement to award a penalty and nothing more on a very "weak" punch.

If I were to judge him on the videos here alone I'd give him 10 out of 10..

FoXtroT May 24, 2013 4:27 pm

The games I have seem him ref are generally centered around him, he seems to really love himself and wants to be the center of attention.

Ithilsul May 24, 2013 5:06 pm

So you're telling us that a ref might do this "job" to have attention centered on him?

You may be right, although: look at him, wearing a different jersey just to stand out in the middle of all this men!

DrG May 24, 2013 11:38 am

Chiefs 11 was wrong for that shoulder to shoulder contact, but the yellow player going down was a bit weak, but there was not too much focus on it, so maybe he just overbalanced or something.

The subsequent hit from TJ was brilliant. Nice to see a 9 throwing themselves in the mix.

Then the Chiefs 11 again, no idea why he went down himself, maybe he got a bash in the spuds, or just winded, I'm not sure if we could say he was milking anything... looked like a "dive" but then again, that sort of action could be what you'd do if you did get winded.

Then the "punch".. as others have said it COULD have been a yellow card; technically etc, however I am glad it wasn't. As the referee said, it was more of a push punch than anything else, and with the 9 latching on to Messam like that, it's no wonder he tried to swat him away.

Love the title though RD. Great video.

TotesMcGoates May 24, 2013 10:15 pm

I agree for the most part but I'm happy with the shoulder to shoulder contact. There is an allowance for it in the laws and Tikoirotuma utilised it well.

Facepalm May 24, 2013 1:02 pm

It's a shame Perenamanana is so gobby because he's a great player otherwise.

matt May 24, 2013 5:20 pm

He wouldn't be half as good a 9 if he wasn't

DaveSea May 24, 2013 4:03 pm

It was a punch its a yellow I dont care how sft it is. The law is the law

matt May 24, 2013 5:22 pm

Yer but the law has reasons behind it. And in this case it is player safety, which clearly wasn't an issue. So penalise him on the score board for being a bellend. Don't make it a big issue

cheyanqui May 24, 2013 4:09 pm

A chippy, pain-in-butt scrumhalf?

Well I never.....

Colombes May 24, 2013 4:10 pm

Nice tackle on the first video
On the second one, 2 very "soccer" behaviours from both teams...

Ithilsul May 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Even it that was a light punch, I wonder if my jaw wouldn't have been dislocated: the hit was quite low on the jaw, best way to dislocate IMO.

RedYeti May 24, 2013 7:24 pm

That kind of cheeky 'punch' can easily provoke a big scrap and get opposing players sent off for retaliating. That said the 9 getting involved in the first place probably provoked Messam so all's fair really.

The biggest disgrace is wingers from both sides going down that bloody easily...

brawnybalboa May 25, 2013 11:06 am

I think it was very good refereeing all in all.

First Video: He did not see the shoulder charge, so consulted the assistant referee who gave a recommendation, and he took it (not like George Clancy ignoring Nigel Owens in the Italy-England game). I think a penalty was a bit harsh as charges like that are seen all the time.

Second Video: A bit of handbags, instead of flashing a yellow he wanted to double check what had happened with the TMO. When told it was just pushing he acted appropriately giving a penalty. Hence not ruining the game.

aaaaaaaah May 28, 2013 6:55 pm