Bloody Florian Fritz returns to play

Jason Rutledge's great tryline defence

Huge hit by Tonga in Pacific Nations Cup

England beat Baby Boks in JWC2014 final

Japanese player loses ball over tryline

Dafydd Howells scores quickest try ever?

The Top 5 'Big Boppers' in World Rugby

Jebb Sinclair red card for leading elbow

Catch up with Sam Warburton

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

England thump the Barbarians ahead of South American tour

England got their international season under way with a strong 40-12 victory over the Barbarians at Twickenham on Sunday. They scored five tries, providing a good confidence boost ahead of the three match tour of South America.

The match started with a bang as England scored within 40 seconds, as Freddie Burns crossed after an electric dart down the wing by young flyer Marland Yarde. Yarde went on to score in the second half, as did Kyle Eastmond, Christian Wade and Billy Tweltrees.

The Barbarians disappointed for the most part, but scored late in the game through Springbok Schalk Brits and future England star Elliot Daly.

The fixture provided an opportunity for coach Stuart Lancaster to blood some new talent, which bodes well for the tour of South America, as there are 12 uncapped players selected in the squad.

Yarde impressed with his try, and his size could weigh in his favour according to Lancaster. "Closer to 100kg than 90kg, which means he can bump people off as well as run round them," he said.

With senior players such as Chris Ashton, Toby Flood and Danny Care all being rested, it's a great opportunity for the next batch of hopefuls to step up.

England play a combined South American team on Sunday, June 2nd, before a two-Test series against Argentina. The last time England toured the region in 2009 they lost 24-22 in Salta.

Friday Funnies - Marland Yarde try saver on Marland Yarde

John Leslie scores the fastest ever international try in 1999

The Fastest ever tries scored from the kickoff

Argentina beat England in Salta to level the series 1-1

UpTheLowEnd May 28, 2013 10:44 pm

I think Lancaster is crazy not to include Daily and his try here is testimony to that. Sure theres an abundance of quality full backs floating around at the moment but i'd put my money on him accomplishing more in his career then Brown or Goode ever will. In my mind he's second only to Foden.

Facepalm May 29, 2013 1:00 am

He is absolutely quality but he's not really a full back, he plays best in the centres. In my mind england's best centre pairing would be with daly at 12 and manu at 13. Now THAT would be an exciting duo to watch especially with Burns at 10.

UpTheLowEnd May 29, 2013 11:27 am

Would it ever! Unfortunately it seems Lancaster is pretty set on 36 playing alongside Manu, but it'd prefer a more subtle runner like Daly to pair with such a destructive crash ball centre. I'm not sure that having two pretty large centres in Twelvetrees and Manu is necessarily the best combo (good as both players are).

dave May 31, 2013 6:50 am

are you crazy!?
if this game showed us anything it showed us that billy twelvetrees has an awesome blend of size, strength, skill and distributing ability, not only can he make it easier on the flyhalves to create he can anchor the 12 channel and replace brad barritt, this guy is england's 12 for the now and the future

TechnoMouse May 28, 2013 10:47 pm

Good result for England, though can't read a great deal into it as the BaaBaas didn't really start playing until the 2nd half. I hope for the sake of English rugby that guys like Wade, Yarde, Eastmond and May tour well and push for places for the autumn series.

Elliott Daly definitely showed Lancaster he made a mistake not picking him. I was amazed he didn't get selected as he's been in outstanding form this season. One of the many for the future for sure.

Ottawa Rugger May 29, 2013 4:26 pm

Daly is just 20 years old, so I think Lancaster wants to give him a bit more time before bringing him into the England set up. Besides, I'm sure Lancaster is pragmatic enough to realize that Daly still gets a lot of high-pressure game experience from the Barbarians as he would playing for England. As far as Lancaster was concerned he probably thought about this game as a chance to 16 of his potential test players on the field, not just 15.

cbakker1 May 28, 2013 11:00 pm

Is it just me or is there a score missing? it jumps from 16-0 to 23-0

iamaj8 May 29, 2013 12:35 am

There isn't a score missing, they just have the tries in the wrong order.
It should be Burns, Yarde, Eastmond, Wade, Twelvetrees, but instead they got Yardes' and Eastmond's mixed up.

Flank91 May 29, 2013 1:03 am

I bet Daly would have loved skinning his old school team mate Yarde for his score!

Facepalm May 29, 2013 1:10 am

I don't understand how Daly can be below Twelvetrees in the pecking order. Based on club form Daly has been one of the outstanding premiership performers. After he scored an average try on his debut Twelvetrees was bigged up as something he isn't. He may well develop in the future but at the minute he simply isn't as good as Daly. I'm not just basing my thoughts on this one game either.

DrG May 29, 2013 1:22 am

Disappointing how many penalty kicks were taken...no kick to touch and lineouts?? :(

DaveW May 29, 2013 1:39 am

That was my first thought too. I know they might care about winning the game, but that's not quite the spirit that particular team should be played in.

brawnybalboa May 29, 2013 1:43 am

Even though I am Welsh I find it mind-boggling at some of the talent that is left out of the English team, especially the backs! Is Lancaster allergic to creativity? I used to hate seeing players like Catt, Cueto, Robinson, Greenwood, Lewsey etc on the team sheet as I knew they were likely to do something creative to rip open the Welsh defence. I don't worry like that anymore.

If I saw a 11-15 on the team sheet of Strettle, Twelvetrees, Tuilagi, Yarde & Tait, I would be a lot more worried that seeing Brown, Barritt, Tuilagi, Ashton & Goode.

paddy o lyin May 29, 2013 2:19 am

Wow, who was the ref in this game? Very first try the no 7 tackles the scrummy without the ball, also a forward pass and possible foot in touch (linesman). Turnover try from underneath their own posts, ball is played back illegally with the feet. Both in full view of the referee.... Where can I apply for a job?

Future May 29, 2013 2:28 am

Eastmond looks increasingly like a very good prospect, especially with the ball in hand. His quick feet remind me of a certain Mr. Robinson - him and Wade are the most dangerous runners in the country at the moment and I really hope they get their chances on tour.
As for the Daly debate - very good in the tackle and on the ground despite his size, a great bit of pace and some real creativity in attack. Him and Twelvetrees in the centres one day? That I would like to see.

Guy May 29, 2013 8:59 am

1.13 was THE highlight for me. Giggity!

Angus May 29, 2013 10:48 am

As a bath supporter I am honoured to see Eastmond and Webber play so well! It is very exciting to see a new 10 developing in Burns as I think England need his pace and skills in the back not just a kicker. Again I hope to god that these guys play well in the autumn series as it would be very exciting for years to come

Doigo May 29, 2013 2:41 pm

I think actually Lancaster is doing a very good job with his talent management. We have seen before with Barclay, Tait and others the perils of introducing them too early into the senior team.
Give Wade, Daly, Burns and Yarde another year to prove they aren't just a flash in the pan and to experience more and then if they perform well they should feature.

What I will say is, Ashton must be absolutely bricking it right now!

Colombes May 29, 2013 10:14 pm

Can't read a lot from this match, especially because of Baabaa's defence holes

But Lancaster has the opportunity to test some speedsters with yarde, wade and eastwood in very favourable conditions. Will be interesting to watch them in more hostile ones in Argentina
Watch out mrs Ashton, Goode and Flood

Ps; blatant forward pass on the 1st try

dave May 31, 2013 7:06 am

I would love to see matthew tait in the england side, I think his natural ability and mind for the game of rugby makes him unofficially the best 15 in the country