Step and unbelievable dummy sets up try

Just how fast is Carlin Isles?

Ben Funnell slamming tackle on Hawkins

Ben Tameifuna massive fend on huge prop

Female Streaker has no regrets

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

The Top 5 Schoolboy Prodigies

Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

Southland sensational try after big bump

Saturday, June 08, 2013

New Zealand come up trumps in hard-fought first Test against France

France face up to the Haka at the first 2013 Test against New Zealand in Auckland

Page: 123View All

Posted in All Blacks, Midyear Tours

anonymous no7 June 08, 2013 7:18 pm

Some quality tries there, although do wonder if having internationals after a long season for the NH sides is good for the players. But I guess same applies to the SH sides when they visit the NH too.

Also it looks like nonu is missing a whole eyebrow in that picture...

DrG June 08, 2013 11:29 pm

"Also it looks like nonu is missing a whole eyebrow in that picture..."

Yeh there was some brutal tackles...

lowkeykiwi June 10, 2013 7:12 am

Nonu dyes one eyebrow blonde.

TechnoMouse June 08, 2013 7:43 pm

Hope the French put in some more performances like that. France vs NZ often produces some of the most cracking games.

Does anyone know why Nonu is missing an eyebrow?

Pipo June 08, 2013 9:01 pm

I was wondering that too

skronydn June 08, 2013 10:23 pm

don't quote me but I it is because of alopecia

djbanana June 08, 2013 10:40 pm

Its not missing, its just grey i think.

CEO Front Row Union June 09, 2013 2:30 am

I remember hearing somewhere that he said he shaved his eyebrow when he was a teenager and? it has grown back white / grey

Benny June 09, 2013 11:29 am

When I first thought it was missing, I assumed he was trying to do a Jonah and shave his number into his eyebrow but with 12 being more intricate than 11 he made a mess and shaved the whole thing off.

But I have a feeling I read somewhere that he bleaches it. He made a comment once that he doesn't want to be a follower, which might explain the eye liner before and now the eyebrow. I guess he's a young man under the spotlight and trying to find his own identity

blackT June 08, 2013 8:01 pm

Nice game. A bit frustrated, there were some space to win it. Machenaud and Lopez good surprises, Picamoles Fofana Dussautoir excellent as usual, Huget and front row (including subs) below expectation. Full credit to AB, they were stronger and more pragmatic.

Pipo June 08, 2013 9:02 pm

Why weren't Yachvili and Parra in the team? Are they injured or is this a case of Saint Andre's (mis) selection?

kadova June 09, 2013 1:35 am

Dimitri Yachivili is not taken anymore in the national team because he will be too old for the next world cup. he's giving palce for younger ones.
Morgan Parra is injured, wing Vincent Clerc is injured too, and wing Alexis Palisson is getting surgery for a recurrent problem at one hand (he's getting the benefit of the june month off + the holidays before the start of the next season).

ruckinmaul June 08, 2013 9:35 pm

Huget was really good actually. perhaps, couldn't took some of the wobble pass but his overall performance was good. he took a big blow from Ranger, and a few minutes later make a good break but only couldn't the support. Michalak was very average. poor perhaps. he could not make a single good pass. not in front of the player.

DrG June 08, 2013 11:30 pm

I love the French players mutton chop-esque facial hair!

Olivier June 09, 2013 1:25 am

Parra is having surgery on a hand for a long lasting issue and Yachvili is not on top form and
is getting old hence not fitting in st Andre's long term plans...

Colombes June 09, 2013 12:23 pm

Nice game of rugby, like always between the 2 sides
Both teams had some experimental selection, but the level was great.
NZ win it in a pragmatic way with nonu at the centre of everything.. when France really missed some good chances to wish a result. the next 2 tests will be entertaining

btw, these highlights even the extended one are naturally biased ;)

BenjaJ June 09, 2013 1:52 pm

Totally agree, NZ TV is always biased. They never show replays when NZ seems to commit a foul that the referee doesn't see.

Aonhus June 09, 2013 10:12 pm

BenjaJ, every country does that. that is nothing that only NZ TV does.

BenjaJ June 10, 2013 11:20 am

I agree, but I really think that it is worst in NZ. I guess I'm also a little bit upset because France played well and lost.

Jeri June 09, 2013 12:33 pm

That French player has gotta deserve free beer all week for braving against Ranger like that.

BenjaJ June 09, 2013 1:06 pm

Definitely a very nice game. Both teams could have win it, but NZ was more pragmatic. The French need to rework the lineouts and scrums, that was a catastrophe (at least they can thank Wayne Barnes for the scrums).

I'm surprised by Planté performance. Planté was a good winger in France, but i really didn't think that he had the level for the national team. And I was wrong.
Dusautoir and Fritz good as usual, good to see Doussain back on the team, he really deserve it.
The pair Nonu/C.Smith is definitely the best, but I really want to see Ranger with the number 13 next week. He's better on the center than on the wing, and he really deserve it (he is so powerfull). Savea did nothing, Cruden is not Carter.

Can't wait to see the next game, but I think it will be harder for the french. Top 14 is really long and they were already exhausted at the end of this match.

dave June 09, 2013 9:18 pm

in order to beat new zealand you need to heavily contest the breakdown, stay out of your half and don't let up once, as soon as france scored that first try they let up and i stopped watching because i knew france was going to lose

DrG June 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Just had the displeasure of watching the second NZ FRA game. I use the word displeasure not because I wanted France to win, but because I feel disappointed that I spent 40 mins (only the 2nd half) of Michalak butcher any chances the French had!!

Can the French fans really say Michalak is their best 10? Why not Trinh-Duc, or even Parra!!!

On the other side of things I thought NZ played very well, defence was solid and running was hard as usual. Not sure about Nonu today though, seemed a bit quiet (maybe I just missed his stuff)

DrG June 15, 2013 12:02 pm