Dafydd Howells scores quickest try ever?

England beat Baby Boks in JWC2014 final

Huge hit by Tonga in Pacific Nations Cup

George Pisi hit makes Shane Geraghty ill

Two casual tryscorers shown up

Ma'afu banned for punch on Tom Youngs

Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Carlos Spencer & Stephen Larkham fight

Brock James amazing reverse flick pass

Sunday, June 16, 2013

British and Irish Lions too strong for determined Waratahs in Sydney

It's been an eventful weekend for the British and Irish Lions off the field but on it, they beat the Waratahs 47-17 in one of their best performances thus far on the tour. Since then three new players have been called into the squad.

Leigh Halfpenny contributed 30 points as the Lions claimed their fifth successive tour victory.

Despite the Lions almost scoring through Simon Zebo very early on, the Waratahs put up a good fight and were in the game for a long period of time before the visitors took control and scored some excellent tries, later running away with the victory.

Halfpenny scored twice and kicked eight kicks from eight attempts, further cementing his spot at first choice fullback for the Test series.

"It was a good effort and we're very pleased about the outcome," said Warren Gatland.

"To be fair the Waratahs took it to us but I think the boys handled it magnificently (and) in the end we were just too big and too powerful for them."

On the downside, Jamie Roberts limped off with a suspected torn hamstring. Three players have since been called into the squad, with Brad Barritt, Christian Wade and Shane Williams all set to play in their midweek game against the Brumbies. Billy Twelvetrees will also start.

View both teams for Tuesday here | Extended highlights

Page: 12View All

Posted in British & Irish Lions 2013

mrjmmlc June 17, 2013 12:23 am

for the test it seems most forwards are picked by now. as i see it it would be
1 vunipola 16 hibbard/youngs (could be either way)
2 t youngs/ hibbard 17 corbisiero
3 a jones 18 dan cole
4 awjones 19 parling
5 poc 20 obrien and tipuric to fight for it in brumbies game
6 croft (was expecting obrien, but after brumbies selection seems this way)
7 warburton
8 heaslip

but maybe there is stil a slight chance for best, grant or gray to push for a bench spot.

in the backs it isnt so easy because of so many injuries which we dont know how bad they are. but some players are guaranteed to start. this is how i think it will go:
9 phillips
10 sexton
11 north (if fit)
12 tuilagi (if fit) (roberts shouldnt be fit) (davies to start if tuilagi isnt ok)
13 bod
14 zebo
15 halfpeny

20 youngs
21 davies (farel if he starts)
22 hogg (he he does well against the brumbies)

kearney hasnt played enough but could be considered for bench if farel is also there to cover fly half. if north doesnt play, dont really know who id pick

DrG June 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Why Parling over Gray?

Is that YOUR desired selection or just how you feel the positions will be dished out?

UpTheLowEnd June 17, 2013 12:26 pm

Hello again! Gray is starting against the Brumbies, theres no chance he's featuring in the first test. For the record I think mrjmmic is spot on!

DrG June 17, 2013 1:24 pm

It is a question I asked. I am aware Gray probably won't be in the first test, but why, is what I am asking?

I personally don't think Parling has shone this series, then again I don't think Gray has been pretty 'shiny' either...

mrjmmlc June 17, 2013 2:31 pm

actualy both. i like parling better and also think he s gonna be picked to the bench

UpTheLowEnd June 18, 2013 11:31 am

I suspect thats purely down to Parlings lineout ability that isn't paralleled by any of the other locks, including Gray specifically. If you're playing Jones and O'Connell, Jones is the same kind of lock in terms of carrying etc, but Parling has something that none others do, and thats securing a situation if you're on the front foot and (more often than you'd think) pinch the ball at the lineup when you're on the back foot. Thats a good impact to be able to bring on.

Jon June 17, 2013 1:50 am

Poor old Tahs, they had a good go, but that young forward pack just couldn't keep it up against a team full of internationals.
Only one of the Waratahs normal starting pack played, most of the rest were young guys coming through. It was crazy at about the 60 min mark, when the clearly exhausted Waratahs forwards looked up and saw five Lions subs coming on, all of them full internationals.
That must have been dispiriting.

skillz June 17, 2013 4:40 am

did anyone else see the catch at 1:47?

jimter10 June 17, 2013 5:09 am

That's all I came on to mention. Mitchell looked such a pro, he had all the tricks. Does he keep getting injured? Think I'd pick him just for that

skillz June 17, 2013 9:13 am

I couldnt tell if it was Mitchell or not, he actually does this quite a bit from penalties, i think he caught it behind his back once - but the lad definatley has handling skills. Ashley Cooper does it too - glad im not the only one who notices these things!

Jon June 17, 2013 1:07 pm

Yeah it was Mitchell.
It's not that he got injured heaps of times, it's just that when he got injured he got really badly injured.
It was against the Reds. He broke his ankle, really really badly.
Have a look :

He's never quite been the same player. It's a fucking shame, because he was in the form of his life before this. Scoring tries for fun.

View Video

DrG June 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Anyone see O'Connell (I think it was) in the changing room at half time? He was more pink than a Stade Francais shirt!

Jimothy June 17, 2013 5:41 pm

Real shame about Roberts, I know I've posted before about him and I still think Manu is a better option at 12 but this is a real blow. Seems like a nice bloke! The Wales 12, 13, 15 try was awesome!

Croft once again showed (in this clip, I didn't see the whole game so would be interested to hear others non-bias opinions) why he should start at 6 over Lydiate and SOB.

What about playing Hogg at Full back and half penny on the wing? Or the other way round? Half Penny is the only player (along with maybe Sexton) that I FEEL has his place nailed down and should be a sure starter in the first test!

Reality June 17, 2013 7:12 pm

What a super hand-off from Croft for that try! I know the guy was small and probably a bit disinterested at that stage, but it was excellent.

And really classy from the tighthead afterwards.

matt June 17, 2013 8:28 pm

Can anyone explain how he has escape sanction for what was a deliberately late shoulder charge? I cannot begin to understand how they make these decisions. For something as invisible as Healy's bite to make it, and then something as blatant and disrespectful as this to be ignored baffles me.

Jon June 18, 2013 8:44 am

Sorry matt, but are you serious?
For a late charge to get cited, it have to do some real damage to the bloke hit.
A penalty is fine for what Ulugia did. It was just a bump.
You'd think he stabbed him.

So much whinging.

DrG June 18, 2013 12:35 pm

I agree with the "blatant and disrespectful" thing, but there wasn't much in it, just being a dick...

I suppose the referee could have yellow carded him, or given the Lions a penalty from the kick off or something, but it isn't worth much more...

matt June 18, 2013 3:03 pm

I think I agree with you, but I'd love to know how something so unsubtle and deliberate was not even addressed by 6(?) different officials.