Step and unbelievable dummy sets up try

Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

Streaker starts mass brawl after tackle

Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Springboks edge All Blacks in thriller

Sam Burgess breaks cheekbone, plays on

Brian O'Driscoll Breakdown Masterclass

The Human Hurdle Attempt

Female Streaker has no regrets

Monday, June 24, 2013

England beat Wales to win the IRB Junior World Championship 2013

England Under 20's won the IRB Junior World Championship after coming from behind to beat Wales in the final in the north west of France yesterday. In the third place playoff, South Africa staged a comeback of their own as they beat New Zealand.

Wales led 15-3 at halftime and looked on the way to their first ever JWC title, but failed to capitalise after England went down to 14 men and had a try disallowed shortly before the break.

Jack Nowell and Sam Hill tries brought them back into the game before two penalties by Henry Slade extended the lead, earning them a well deserved victory after having been runners up three times in the past.

Earlier a repeat of last year's final saw South Africa come from behind to beat New Zealand in the third place playoff in Vannes. The Baby Blacks were up 21-0 at one stage, before the Baby Boks launched a comeback and won the game 41-24.

"For the sixth year in a row, the IRB Junior World Championship has delivered brilliant matches, we've seen some magnificent skills on display and fans have witnessed top quality matches with open, running rugby," said IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset.

IRB Junior Player of the Year 2013

While it was disappointment for Wales in the final, young flyhalf Sam Davies was awarded the IRB Junior Player of the Year 2013 title following commanding performances throughout the tournament. He is the first Welshman to win the award, and the first to receive an IRB age grade honour since Gavin Henson was named IRB Young Player of the Year in 2001.

"It is an honour, just to see the names of the other people that have had it before me, it makes it extra special. I’m gutted with the result today but this is a bonus picking up this Award," he said.

Elsewhere, France beat Argentina to finish in fifth place, Australia finished seventh after beating Ireland, Samoa defeated Scotland to claim ninth place, and the USA were relegated to the IRB Junior World Trophy after they were beaten by Fiji.

Highlights of the final are below, and you can follow the links for the other games, or view all

South Africa vs New Zealand | France vs Arg & Aus vs Ire | Fiji vs USA & Samoa vs Scot

Page: 1234View All

Posted at 11:39 am | 22 comments

Posted in IRB Junior World Championship

Alfymoon June 24, 2013 4:50 pm

So gutted for the welsh boys! But congratulations to England, they showed up in the second half after a poor first half. But hey two northern hemisphere teams in the final, we're doing something right ! Lets hope Wales get it next time fellow taffs

Merlin June 24, 2013 6:58 pm

Good game, English physicality proved too much for the welsh team I think, and they seemed very fatigued in the second half.
I am really impressed with the increased use of the video ref, picking up that knee was excellent.
I am all for the physical edge, but a cheap knee to the head??
Guys a jerk, then his arrogant look as he went off....... #anothercallumclarke#

Benny June 24, 2013 7:48 pm

I agree, great to have a TMO at this level but was it just my eyes, didn't the assistant refs award England a penalty that they missed? The ref should be checking those with the TMO

TWKP June 24, 2013 8:58 pm

Think its a bit harsh to call him another Callum Clarke. I didn't see much in the knee to be honest, and I thought he was unlucky to be penalised, let alone yellowed (although obviously if the TMO thought it was deliberate he had no choice).

DrG June 24, 2013 7:57 pm

Congratulations to England, brilliant step from the second row before his 'try' which was subsequently disallowed due to moronic play from; as merlin said, another Callum Clarke!

All I can say is that guy was LUCKY to only get a yellow, especially when you consider how 'soft' this era of rugby is, when you take into consideration Simon Shaw got a red for his effort when rugby was 'semi-hard' (LOL) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXA9cxFw79s

I'm shocked by the comeback the baby boks staged!!! To be down 21 points, and then score 41 whilst limiting the blacks to only another 3??? Incredible!

View Video

Facepalm June 24, 2013 10:47 pm

Calling him another Callum Clarke is absolutely ridiculous. It's akin to likening Brian O'Driscoll with Jerry Flannery for stamping. Clearly the players are nothing alike so don't make stupid comparisons.

Facepalm June 24, 2013 10:58 pm

It's the same thing that happened to Etzebeth. He did a nothing head butt on Nathan Sharpe and ever since people unfairly have completely unfairly labelled him a thug. Don't try to tarnish a young lad's reputation when he's done nothing wrong.

DrG June 25, 2013 12:00 pm

Last time I checked kneeing someone wasn't "nothing wrong".

Agreed Etzebeths headbutt was nothing!

Merlin June 25, 2013 7:18 pm

Sorry, I wasn't trying to annoy you. I called it as I saw it. My link to Callum Clarke was more to do with the fact that Clarke also got sent off in the Junior RWC if I am not mistaken, for something equally stupid, which could have cost them the game. England lost on that occasion, but won in this occasion despite having the try disallowed.
Also, I will be honest and say that looked like an out and out cheap to me, aimed at the other players head when he thought he would get away with it.
Lastly, I did nothing to tarnish the boy's reputation, he did that all by himself.

Facepalm June 25, 2013 11:34 pm

I can see that, but when you talk of Callum Clarke you don't think of what he did for England U20s. You think of him snapping Hawkins' elbow. The situation we see here is not in any way the same level of thuggery and the call for a yellow card is, in my eyes, unjust.

DrG June 24, 2013 11:05 pm

Ok, so another moron then...

p.s not sure how "clear" it is that he is so different to Callum Clarke (or the same for that matter). I was more irritated that a brilliant bit of play was snubbed and the try disallowed because of a players moronic behaviour.

Facepalm June 25, 2013 11:47 pm

If you are the one making the comparison, the burden of evidence is very much with you. Show me anything that suggests this guy is suddenly going to rip off someone's arm, please, I would love to see it.

Spend time learning how to construct an argument without caps, exclamation marks, "p.s" and "moron".

DrG June 26, 2013 2:27 am

Right, I can see you're on a mission to defend this player who clearly kneed an opponent. I personally view his actions as moronic, without a thesaurus at hand, I believe I could also use the terms 'imbecilic' and 'stupid' if that helps you out a little more.

I've no need to learn how to construct an argument, this guy was lucky not to receive a red, when others; Simon Shaw & Jamie Heaslip, have themselves received a red cards for their efforts. Admittedly this was far closer to Shaws actions than, Heaslips, but they all involve kneeing a player.

p.s I can stick a p.s into any comment I WISH to. I'd still take any comment with capitals and a p.s as more credible than someone such as yourself trying to defend what is an act of thuggery (whether a one off or not!)

Facepalm June 26, 2013 9:18 am

I couldn't care less if you think this is a red card. My problem is you drawing a comparison to Clarke. A comparison which you are as yet to back up with anything. Got anything to show me?

DrG June 26, 2013 10:58 am

Clarke was sent off in a junior RWC, always continues to maintain a facial expression which says 'innocent', much like this guy. However if you spent less time on your blind crusade of justice and more time reading, you'll see I quickly stopped referring to him as Callum Clarke and left it at just 'moron', I even left you a lovely little reason why I feel he is a moron.

DrG June 26, 2013 10:58 am

Facepalm June 26, 2013 5:52 pm

No? Nothing? I thought not.

DrG June 27, 2013 10:55 am

Oh I'm sorry, did you miss the part where I wrote: "Clarke was sent off in a junior RWC, always continues to maintain a facial expression which says 'innocent', much like this guy."

Followed by the part where I retracted the statement and mentioned how the guy is just a plain ol' moron.

Didn't realise you were trolling the site these days..

DrG June 28, 2013 9:31 pm

Couldn't care less, I base my opinion on the fact that this guy showed no remorse and his behaviour was downright idiotic. This is how Callum Clarke began.

Perhaps you feel relating him to another young rugby player who acted in similar fashion is wrong, that is your prerogative. Either way this was a dickish effort to ruck and something you apparently have little issues with.

Joey June 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Well done to the English boys. I might be wrong, but wasn't the penalty given against Wales, 10 minutes into the video, for collapsing the maul a bad call. If there was no Welsh player attached to the maul and then they joined, isn't that obstruction? Makes no difference to the final score and he missed the penalty anyway, but I'm just curious.

Moo June 24, 2013 11:27 pm

I think the ref called "same maul", as the Welsh player who ended up on the floor was part of the initial maul - which, as far as I understand, is fair enough, as you can't disengage a maul once it has started. However, the English ball carrier at the back wasn't bound by more than his fingertips for half the time (a problem with most of the mauls I saw this weekend). So surely a penalty to Wales for that?

I actually thought from first look the officials had a pretty good game for this one - the knee in the ruck was a good spot at full speed (I thought he used the TMO well for the foul play call) and the crawling penalty was spot on too. It also seemed to me, at least from the highlights, to flow better than the other games this weekend.

Nice to see some promising young players - England 8, 15 and 20 and Wales 9, 10 and 15 stood out. Also nice work-rate from the Welsh 14 to get out of the second ruck, after his initial break, back to his wing to score the cross-kick try.

Well done England and commiserations to Wales - very entertaining stuff.