Closing montage from Heineken Cup final

Maxime Machenaud carries Heini Adams!

Biggest punches & worst fights in France

Toulon do the double with Top 14 win

Huge hit by Tonga in Pacific Nations Cup

Dafydd Howells scores quickest try ever?

Eddie Butler on Jonny Wilkinson career

Ma'afu banned for punch on Tom Youngs

Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Thursday, July 04, 2013

TJ Perenara gets injured then makes courageous tackle

Hurricanes scrumhalf TJ Perenara scored a try as part of a losing effort against the Chiefs, but one of the more memorable moments of the game came a few minutes later, as he showed great courage to make a tackle despite receiving a nasty knock.

The battle of the number nines, between Perenara and Chiefs counterpart Tawera Kerr-Barlow, was tipped as one to watch in terms of who could impress and push for higher honours.

While Perenara did score a try, he made a few errors too so perhaps didn't put in the performance he'd hoped for, with the Rugby Championship coming up for the All Blacks.

His legs swung around as he made a tackle on Julian Savea, catching Perenara who getting in position to clear the ball. He dropped immediately and it looked quite painful, but when the turnover occurred, he made a courageous effort to get up and not only chase back half way across the field, but make an important tackle.

He ran it off for a while but was later replaced so they could treat the ankle with an icepack.

Yes, some cynics may say that the story would have been better if the injury was more severe, but thankfully it wasn't, and regardless of the long term seriousness, it was brilliant to see that level of dedication in the moment, and it was one of our highlights of the weekend.

Posted at 5:19 am | 16 comments

TJ Perenara makes big hit then gets punched in the face

Andre Taylor scores with brilliant finish vs the Rebels

Kurtley Beale back from the dead, then commentator swears

Posted in See it to Believe it

Filipe July 04, 2013 8:43 am

This is what rugby is all about, putting your team ahead of yourself. Well done TJ, hope you are better.

Arfur Jock July 04, 2013 3:15 pm

This was one of my favourites. Jamie Noon getting treatment for bad injury - waves away treatment and smashes Kane Robinson http://www.rugbydump.com/2008/02/352/jamie-noon-great-hit-against-italy

Donald July 04, 2013 9:18 am

Ouch! I broke my fibula from a second rows legs swinging round like that but a hit on the ankle looks far worse.
You can see how it really blindsided him as he just flopped to the ground straight away too -- great effort to track back and make the tackle.

stroudos July 04, 2013 10:15 am

@RD - "some cynics may say that the story would have been better if the injury was more severe"

What!? Seriously!? Not sure "cynic" would be the word I would use for someone expressing that opinion.......

hamsandwhich July 04, 2013 11:00 am

I love how little he makes of it as well: "yeah the impact kind of hurt but it was alright after that"

DrG July 04, 2013 11:19 am

Nope, wouldn't comment on the severity of the injury as such.

I personally would say a broken leg is more severe than a dead leg, however I had one dead leg which lasted over a week, so severity does not always tell the whole story.

Awesome effort to get back, I thought the tackle was going to be right around the fringe of the ruck when someone just ran his way, I didn't realise he was going to give chase!!! Quite a nice little banter story there, "caught by a one legged man!". Great video thanks for sharing.

Oh, on a side note, whats with the wind chime stuff thats going on? Do they issue every fan with a couple pipes to clang together???

TotesMcGoates July 04, 2013 11:53 am

They're cowbells. It's kinda their thing up in the Waikato.

DrG July 04, 2013 11:47 am

"Ironically it was Kerr-Barlow that was involved in the injury he suffered, albeit unintentionally."

Ironically because Kerr-Barlow is pushing of an AB spot too?

Sorry a little lost on that one...

Flying Tacklemonkey July 04, 2013 1:40 pm

You reckon it should say: "Suspiciously, it was Kerr-Barlow..." ?

DrG July 04, 2013 1:55 pm

Lol I just didn't know he was a scrum half..

brawnybalboa July 04, 2013 5:49 pm

The thing that surprised me about this clip is the appalling back play of the Chiefs at around 0:26 onwards. They instantly had a 6 on 2 with TJ Perenara being the first man. All they needed was to play simple draw and pass rugby or for one of the backs to hit off the fullback at Perenara's inside shoulder as he would have had not chance.

Massive kudos to Perenara for tracking back and making the tackle, but if the Chiefs had not have butchered a simple overlap he would not have made it.

Herman Munster July 04, 2013 6:03 pm

Kind of sums up he Kiwi ethos of not allowing yourself to be the weak link. Always be in position, no matter the cost. That's rugby.

Kiwi In Germany July 04, 2013 8:50 pm

I don't think that is innate purely of Kiwi's mate. Rugby players in general are a tough breed.

Cww July 05, 2013 4:04 am

Fantastic Guts! I don't know if many of you watch ice hockey, but in the Stanley Cup this year something similar happened as well. Albeit completely separate sports, it's always amazing to see the dedication athletes in sports such as these put in.

View Video

Stringer July 06, 2013 9:01 am

I got a dead leg once, the entire back of my thigh went black and I was on crutches for some time. I had longer out than when I broke my arm.