Biggest Hits in World Rugby in August

Joe Marler and his unsual pets

Cheslin Kolbe dazzling run, no look pass

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Catch up with MND sufferering Bok legend

Brian O'Driscoll Breakdown Masterclass

Ben Tameifuna banned for pushing referee

Southland sensational try after big bump

5 Biggest Hits of the Premiership season

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Nick Mallett slams referee Romain Poite after All Blacks vs Springboks Test

Former Italy and Springbok coach Nick Mallett shares his thoughts on Romain Poite's decision to yellow card Bismarck Du Plessis for the tackle on Dan Carter. Mallett argues that Poite had technology, as well as his touch judges, at his disposal so should have made use of them.

"This was an absolute disgrace. A match of this quality deserved to have fifteen players on the field for the whole game," said Mallett in the Supersport studio chat post match.

"The referee had every opportunity to look at that [the tackle]. He ruined the game as a spectacle because of that first yellow card that wasn't. It's a disgrace, and it needs to be said," he added.

Bismarck Du Plessis yellow carded for huge hit on Dan Carter

Posted in The Rugby Championship

DanKnapp September 14, 2013 7:36 pm

I agree with everything Mallett said. Poite should have used the resources which are available to him in sending a player from the field during a game which was likely to be the Championship decider.

I don't think the integrity of referees should ever be challenged, รก la Hartley, and I believe that players should be taught from a young age never to argue with them as a mark of respect, but in games of this magnitude, when the laws have been rewritten to include access to technology, referees should be called to account if they do not make use of it.

Afroman September 15, 2013 12:19 am

This was an absolute disgrace. I agree with Nick. This test match should not be allowed to count in the history books. TRC 2013 is now tainted and has lost all integrity. The whole tournament, millions of dollars, wasted by a referee. The IRB really needs to step in, because this is completely outrageous and unacceptable. I'm boycotting the competition. Giving away my Ellis Park tickets and not turning on my telly either. Absolutely disgusting refereeing.

Bill September 15, 2013 9:40 am

absolutely right, ref should be yellow carded.

Ruggernut September 15, 2013 3:19 pm

I agree with Nick Mallet. That is all.

gabriel September 16, 2013 8:01 am

I agree 100% with Nick on the issue regarding a yellow card on Bismarck. That was absolutly unnessasary and a comment Kobus Wiese made during the game which I have to say I agree 100% is that the rule of red and yellow cards should be held one side and actions taken after the game for a player who has commited foul play to keep all players on the field for the full 80 min. I might not be a ref, but I know the rules and even the TMO is blind with the 2 touch judges alongside. Romain Poite should be hammered hard by the IRB and ban him from refereeing an international game the same as Bryce Lawrence. Its a disgrace for referees who does not follow out right procedures. The second yellow followed by red think was just as unneccasary as it was not libretly it was during the momentum of the play......shoudnt have gone that far. Romain Poite apologising aint gonna cut it.....sorry. Nick, is spot on.....

concerned September 16, 2013 11:25 am

get real Gabriel
first yellow was unwarranted I agree with Nick Mallett, but Bismarck was so far offside it was ridiculous, should have just been a penalty for that
However, the second one was an elbow lead to the throat region, lucky that one wasn't a straight red
Boks gotta realize that sheer brute force won't beat the All Blacks; now days you have to have the complete game - beats me why they don't use Habana, Kirchener and Le Roux more on attack,like the AB's use Savea, Smith and dagg - both sets of players are lethal
I love AB's/Boks games - the best of the best - sheer drama, tension and physicality drenched in controversy and history - that's what makes them so riveting, still the best contests to witness

fatflanker September 18, 2013 3:08 pm

concerned, bismarck wa not in an offside position, it was general play tha ball was alive all the time, nmo ruck or maul was formed so he was in an absoluteley legal position

zanebuckley September 25, 2013 3:46 pm

Hospital pass to Dan Carter... The fend off to the throat was accidental at best and the ABs made a meal of both 'incidents'. That kind of play puts me off watching the Italians play football.

Strangeways September 20, 2013 2:07 pm

get real concerned.. what game were you watching? not even the foolish ref said he was offside.. in fact the only people that have said he was offside are AB fans..

Roger_Rave September 16, 2013 11:56 am

@Gabriel - not sure what was meant by Kobus re : dishing out punishment after a game, but if it is what I think, i.e. keeping all players on for the 80 mins, I can see a situation where players may commit intentional / professional fouls for a particularly big game in the knowledge that the next game may not be so crucial ? Or certainly during End of Season games / Finals ?

FuffuZealah September 17, 2013 12:03 pm

If a person with those intentions comes along, I don't think a yellow, red or even rainbow colored card will stop him. You need to realize that the message is also important here, if we scrap the on field red cards, it will send a message of trust and love for the GAME of rugby to the masses. Reminds me of when De Klerk made that decision to release Mandela. Don't be scared people, fear leads to the dark side (and I don't mean the All Blacks).