Francois Hougaard's IRPA Try of the Year

5 Nominations for IRPA Try of the Year

Alesana Tuilagi trademark crunching hit

Nigel Owens makes not straight comment

Willem Alberts dancing alone in the gym

Hairy f*cking Martin Castrogiovanni rant

Lee Jones makes huge trysaving tackle

Steffon Armitage wants more England caps

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Monday, October 14, 2013

Dion Berryman scores with incredible finish in the corner against Toulouse

Full highlights of Toulouse's 38-5 victory over Zebre in round 1 of the Heineken Cup

Page: 12View All

Posted at 6:14 am | 18 comments

Posted in Heineken Cup

Kiwi In Germany October 14, 2013 10:41 am

God I wish there was enough money in NZ rugby to keep players like this at home. What an awesome finisher.

Gungehammer October 14, 2013 1:24 pm

The reason he's not playing in NZ is that he wasn't good enough to get a Super Rugby contract. In fact he couldn't even make the Western Force.

Looks like he can finish spectacularly though!

DanKnapp October 14, 2013 12:30 pm

Outstanding skill. That'll be one of the tries of the season, or I'll eat my beret.

matt October 14, 2013 2:09 pm

Is the flagpole not part of the touch line?

Guest October 14, 2013 2:13 pm

Of the 60 test match tries Shane Williams scored, probably his greatest was a very similar effort against Scotland in 2008. Worth looking up!

finedisregard October 14, 2013 3:03 pm

I wonder if he's related to Norm Berryman?

El_Greco October 14, 2013 4:06 pm

finishes like that are slightly more common in league, but i never tire of seeing them. great stuff

DanKnapp October 15, 2013 6:33 am

League does seem to lead the way in that regard. I went to uni in Northern England, despite being a Southerner, and was blown away by the skills and professional attitude of the league guys at uni - just a different class. I've always held league in high regard since. Great game to watch.

DrG October 14, 2013 4:23 pm

I was surprised; as is someone else, at the flagpole not being part of touch :/ Is this a fairly recent change? I recall in the past that the pole was ruled as out?

I seem to remember in the past in some scenarios commentators mentioning while we all awaited a TMO verdict that it was "the tackler" who hit the flagpole so the ball carrier was still "in-play" etc, but now it sounds like it matters not either way? Or is it due to the ball carrier being in the air at the time of contact with the pole?

Facepalm October 14, 2013 4:39 pm

I don't know the exact date but it was changed a few years ago.

Kiwi In Germany October 14, 2013 4:41 pm

Yip it's a recent rule. The pole doesn't matter at all anymore. Just the chalk.

Reality October 14, 2013 5:10 pm

It was one of the famous experimental law variations from a few years back that became the standard in 2009.

DrG October 14, 2013 7:49 pm

Oh right, cheers, I remember the law variations coming in/being tested, I suppose that was just one of them that doesn't come about all too often - Unlike the "passing back into the 22" law etc..

MunsterFan October 15, 2013 1:39 am

The best finish I have EVER seen

Chris October 16, 2013 8:34 pm

What's great is it seems every year players are getting better and better at acrobatic tries like this one. Give it 5 years and superman-style corner touchdowns will be a regular occurrence. Wait until the next generation of players comes through, because I can guarantee kids in the park or in the back yard are practicing this sort of stuff all the time.

If you want to be blown away watch this compilation of corner tries from the last few NRL seasons where it seems to be more common already.

Nobody was doing anything like that before the rule change, really.

In the wise words of Gladiator: "Are you not entertained!?"

View Video