Tribute to MND victim Tinus Linee

Lee Jones makes huge trysaving tackle

WIN the rugby tour of a lifetime with IG

Rugby's first ever OWN TRY in NRC

Five nominees for World Player of 2014

Barbarians run riot vs Leicester Tigers

In camp with Nick Cummins & the BaaBaas

Nigel Owens makes not straight comment

Hala'ufia crunches then slaps Wilson

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Wellington scrumhalf Frae Wilson smashes Counties lock Jimmy Tupou

Wellington made it through to their first domestic final in four years after beating Counties Manukau 41-10 in the ITM Cup Premiership Semi Final last Friday. It was a physical battle, but the most impressive hit was this scorcher from the home team scrumhalf.

Number nine Frae Wilson scored the opening try of the game after a breakdown turnover, and a few minutes later he mixed it up with the big boys in close, smashing lock Jimmy Tupou.

That's right, it was a complete mismatch but Wilson took it to the far larger player, timing the hit perfectly and clearly impressing renowned big hitter, Motu Matu'u.

Motu Matu'u was involved in a huge collision himself later in the game as he charged towards to the tryline and caught centre Rey Lee-Lo with a big shoulder. Lee-Lo was out cold before hitting the turf, but later walked off the field which was good to see.

The forward effort, led by Matu'u and Ardie Savea, set the platform for the Lions to run in six tries in total, with Lima Sopoaga kicking four conversions and a penalty.

The Wellington Lions will host the final against Canterbury on Saturday, after they themselves beat Auckland 56-26 in a high scoring game in Christchurch.

The cracking scrumhalf-on-lock hit is below, and the Matu'u charge is on page two

Page: 12View All

Posted at 10:49 am | 14 comments

Posted in Big Hits & Dirty Play

Autodidactical October 23, 2013 5:18 pm

Was that referee watching the injured player? Surely he has to stop the game when the play starts to knock him about.

Battledwarf October 23, 2013 6:03 pm

mmm...another fellow angry number 9! A scrum half should tackle as hard as he can in my philosophy. Passing the ball accurately is a minimum requirement, tackling hard is a gift and induce fear to the opponent n.9. I'm in the club of "Scrum halves with a forward mentality".

stroudos October 24, 2013 6:40 am

Sounds like you're in the club of "scrum half with a massive chip in on his shoulder" to me..........

UpTheLowEnd October 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Shameful from the lock!! Thats not to say anything should be taken away from the hit, helluvan effort by the scrummy.

finedisregard October 24, 2013 12:24 am

I like my #9's short with bad attitudes.

Cymru am byth October 25, 2013 11:21 am

I wouldn't say Mike Phillips was short

finedisregard October 25, 2013 8:15 pm

He's like 6'3. He's taking a job away from a short guy. I don't like him. I meant that I like bossy terrier types that punch above their weight. Phillips is just a good athlete that drinks too much and passes the ball out.

joeythelemur October 24, 2013 3:14 am

Cracking hits.

I see that Wellington still has trouble getting a decent turnout, even for playoff matches. Pains me to see my former hometown struggling for attendance. Hope they show for the final!!

stroudos October 24, 2013 6:38 am

Any video titled "scrum-half smashes lock" has to be worth a look and this didn't disappoint - cracking hit!

Trademark stuff by Motu'u and unfortunate positioning by the tackler, though I reckon you could hurt yourself tackling him even with perfect technique and timing!

Commentator deserves a nod of the head for "Crazed armadillo" - brings back memories of Bill McLaren, not in the same league as "digging away like a demented mole" but a notable effort.

Bunn October 24, 2013 9:31 am

Surely players a referees must be trained to spot the fencing response (players arms in the air) during games to protect from further injury?

DrG October 24, 2013 2:13 pm

That KO was horrible to watch,... I mean not many KO's are particularly enjoyable, but just the way he fell arm straight in the air and then had another bunch of players land on top of him, made very uncomfortable viewing.

As for the tackle, cracking hit, definitely embarrassing for a lock.

jaded forward October 25, 2013 12:46 am

It struck me that each of the ball carriers before the lock seemed to almost be ducking into the tackle. I figured it was so they could drive up, pump the legs, and get a few extra metres before going down. Then the lock goes in tall and gets hammered. His buddies were all just avoiding getting smashed by the little guy! He must have been missing that page in his scouting report.

GreaseMonkey454 October 25, 2013 2:20 pm

You obviously know nothing of rugby. Yeah the guy was down but the ref will not stop play if the ball is still being advanced and maintained possesion. He stopped play at the next best available opportunity.

DrG October 26, 2013 2:45 pm

Actually in many games the referee will automatically blow the whistle if he feels there is any serious injury, neck injury, head injury, KO regardless of whether or not "the ball is still being advanced".. When we strip it right back it's just a game, players welfare both our own or opposition are far more important and valuable...

...but what do I know, to you I'm sure I fall under the category of knowing "nothing of rugby"...