Danny Cipriani talks about past troubles

Step and unbelievable dummy sets up try

Ben Tameifuna massive fend on huge prop

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Sam Burgess breaks cheekbone, plays on

Springboks edge All Blacks in thriller

Nigel Owens makes not straight comment

Prop lays into fullback with big shot

Rugby's first ever OWN TRY in NRC

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Willie Le Roux stars as the Springboks beat Scotland at Murrayfield

South Africa scored four tries to nil as they beat Scotland 28-0 at a wet Murrayfield Stadium on Sunday afternoon. Fullback Willie Le Roux has a superb first half, scoring an intercept try then brilliantly setting up 50th Cap winger JP Pietersen.

The Springboks backed up their good win over Wales with a convincing display against Scotland as they mixed their game to dominate up front, then take their chances out wide.

They scored off the lineout drive twice, while fullback Willie Le Roux scored an intercept and showed that he can be lethal in space as he set up a try for experienced winger Pietersen, who finished well.

The pace slowed down in the second half and while Scotland only conceded one try, to replacment prop Coenie Oosthuizen, they had few chances and the Springboks were rarely threatened.

"We will take four tries to nil in a test match any day of the week and I thought we produced a good performance in this match," said coach Heyneke Meyer.

"We knew what to expect from Scotland. They are physical and hard, and we knew they would have worked at halting our driving, so I must give credit to our forwards' coach Johann van Graan for the way he changed our drive set-ups."

Francois Louw picked up an injury after Jim Hamilton cleared him out at a ruck, causing a lengthy delay, and then after what was probably Scotland's best chance, we had another long delay as the TMO struggled to adjudicate on Bryan Habana dotting the ball down over his own tryline.

"We played a quality side and we gave them three clear opportunities in the first half and they took every one of them," said Scotland coach Scott Johnson post match.

"You don't always get that in the game and they were pretty clinical."

Scotland host the Wallabies next, while South Africa travel to Paris to take on France.

Sam November 19, 2013 4:03 pm

What can Scotland do to improve over the next few years? They're becoming one of the most depressing teams to watch in rugby. :(

Tom November 20, 2013 8:50 am

Haha, calm down mate. They had a tonne of injuries and just played a poor 1st half. They will be fine. Need a 10 that can create space but that's all.

Rugby Lover November 19, 2013 4:03 pm

I don't undertsand why the #8 Scotish did not punch that stupid Pitiersen at 5:03, whatever what would have said the ref, you have to throw a punch in that case.

FelipeG November 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Would have ended like Maestri VS Tonga...

Rugby Lover November 19, 2013 6:34 pm

Maestri will play against the Boks tis weekend. ;-)

MCD November 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Because its part of rugby, Pitersen did not hurt Denton. If you play rugby you would know that it happens, do you think the front row don't clash heads when they scrum down. If you cant take a shove on the head you should not be playing the game. MAN UP!!!

Rugby Lover November 19, 2013 6:38 pm

I used to play rugby from 81 to 2007 (Federal 1 and 2, in France), if my opponent woud do this to me I'd punch him, it's also part of the game, sin bin or not, boom !!! :-)

MCD November 19, 2013 7:09 pm

I to played from 89-2009 in SA and the UK and have many times had my face shoved in the dirt, I never punched someone for it but I have always made sure I did the same back after i put a big tackle in on them :) and there is no better feeling giving it back after you have smashed them in a tackle. All legit and great fun. Hands shakes after the game and a few beers in the club house. GOOD TIMES!!!!

oldflyhalf November 20, 2013 9:44 am

Correctly MCD ! ... I played rugby, but some long time ago. `72-`85. :)
A big tackle and a try score, or more, then the third half of the match. Then, all together, drink a beer in a club house :) This is the spirit of the game of rugby !
"The punch" is for the hooligans, no offence, is my opinion, and for this exist "the soccer world". :)

Joni November 22, 2013 1:30 pm

To have someone's face shoved in the dirt is no rugby.
That is a hooligan move.
That Pietersen would definitely deserve a couple of punches.

SA All The Way November 20, 2013 12:35 am

No you dont have to throw a punch pietersen was being a dick yes, but throwing punches is what ruins rugby games with unnecessary yellow cards, instead of saying he should have punched pietersen commend him for being the bigger man.

Rugby Lover November 20, 2013 12:46 am

Refs go on yellow cards way too easily, and that's another problem, it used to be a men's game.

SA All The Way November 20, 2013 12:54 am

No if you hit some one in the face it is a yellow that dosent make the game any less manly, its people like you who make things like that stupid south african who ran on the field and hit the ref a possibility

Rugby Lover November 20, 2013 1:05 am

Nan, I could never hit a ref, I ignore them, but if I have to punch my opponent because he breaks my balls, I will not hesitate, nobody has been killed that way on a rugby field.

Anyway...

BoksKick November 20, 2013 4:33 pm

Denton (the #8) is a product of South African schools rugby. He knows that these kinds of things are done to get a reaction and so ignored it. Good on him too because AstroTurf burn is never nice - especially on the face.

Eddie-g November 19, 2013 4:29 pm

Ah finally, my Willie le Roux fix for the week. Amazing to think that he wasn't really part of Meyer's plans at the beginning of the year. Magical player.

Bob5 November 19, 2013 6:00 pm

What's DeVilliers doing diving in after that try? Deserves to be looked at in my opinion because these late hits happen all the time. JPs face rubbing completely unnecessary too.

DanKnapp November 19, 2013 8:17 pm

Both of those incidents were pretty disappointing. SA are my 'second team' because I've always liked their hard approach to the game, but I've always felt there is an underlying respect which earns them kudos. Pietersen's little face-rub might have been acceptable near the start of the game - he'd just smashed a #8 into touch, and wanted to let him know it - but not five minutes from the end. That just doesn't show class at all. I hope his manager had a word.

stroudos November 20, 2013 7:39 am

DanKnapp - well done for hitting the nail on the head. My first thought was "what a wanker", but couldn't put my finger on why it irritated me so much - as a couple of people mentioned above this type of thing happens a lot and is just banter. But when you're that far in the lead with so little time left to play, it really is out of order. What a wanker.

Fantastic tackle though...

joeythelemur November 21, 2013 1:52 am

I had the exact question about DeVilliers. Can't figure out what he was trying to do. The Scottish player clearly didn't expect someone to come crashing down on his head at that point.

I_bleed_green_and_gold November 19, 2013 6:50 pm

I agree that the late dive in and roughing up is unnecessary after some magical play.
I am glad Pietersen is back since his defense is solid ( he does rush the line a bit which would not work so well against AB's). Le Roux at full back 11 times out of 10 over Kirchner:), although his defense still requires work, what he brings in attack is amazing.
I think Meyer is just getting his combinations together quite nicely. balance defense and attack. Jaque Fourie in defense is better than JJ and he is still pretty impressive on attack. Still have an issue at tight head since no one can scrum as well as jannie but his defense is terrible.
World cup is a long way away, but the team is coming together nicely.not so sure some of the older guys can go the distance. I really like FDP at scrum half.... I really hope is is fit and ready come 2015, none of the up and comings come even remotely close to him in terms of game management, positional play, ball cycling, decision making and execution .
on a side note, bakkies was surprisingly good with little to no off the ball incidents.

MCD November 19, 2013 8:14 pm

Great comments and I do agree roughing up is unnecessary but I don't mind it, after all it happens at the bottom of every ruck and after loads of big hits. "If you step into the ocean you become part of the food chain!"

FDP had better be fit for the WC I think we are a much better team and all your comments above are true in every regard.

I do think we give away far to many penalties and concede to many yellow cards.

I also feel we lack the instinctive edge that the AB's have. The AB's can soak up points and be behind but they always know that they will win the game. Out of nothing they can conjure up a try or points. They also seam to be-able to inspire the bench or who ever is coming into the squad to play as well if not better that the player they have just replaced, day in and day out.

The Boks need to be more clinical in big games, I fear they will struggle against the French and English. I am not saying they will loose to France but I don't think that we will be convincing.

The WC is a long way away and I hope we will have a team that has the ability and the discipline to see us through to victory.

katman November 19, 2013 8:37 pm

Jim Hamilton thinks because some commentators insist on adding a "Big" before his name, he has to repay them by proving how tough he is. Has he always been a dirty player, or is this a new thing?

Guy November 19, 2013 9:23 pm

To be honest: he is not the only 'dirty' player on the pitch. I saw Bakkies headbutt his way into a few rucks, then there was De Villiers dropping onto a player and the Pietersen incident. I guess the Scottish tried to match the Boks physsicaly which off course doesn't work.

I love to see the SA backs carve up the defence but there is still a lot of aimless high kicking and a lot of off the ball stuff that matches the overall public opinion of the Springboks.

Rugby Lover November 20, 2013 12:27 am

Bakkies is a warrior, it's part of his game, we like or hate hime the way he is, but JP as winger, come on... :-(

redwan_ November 20, 2013 11:49 am

Jim Hamilton is nearly as stupid as he is tall. He's forever losing it for one reason or another and doesn't ever think about anything. He's a total liability for us but we don't have the depth of squad to just leave him out really. Had himself sent off quite a few times for his club (believe he plays for Montpelier).

But I agree with Guy, above, I love watching the Boks play, they tend to play with an intensity you don't often see up here in the NH, but their reputation as dirty players tarnishes that shine, and JP Pieterson is definitely not helping anything. As was mentioned above, if that was early on in the game, and maybe one of the first tackles that he's made then fine, its just making a mark, but when you're 28-0 ahead with 5 minutes left, you're just being a first rate tool.

This is rugby though, glad Denton didn't react, I've seen fights start over much less and I'm sure that they will have had a drink and been fine afterwards.

Eddie-g November 19, 2013 10:47 pm

The people asking what De Villiers was doing on the Pietersen try - my guess, he was diving onto Pietersen like you sometimes do if you think the guy might have been held up over the line.

Happy to debate the issue, but JDV simply is not a dirty player, a cheap shot would have been completely out of character, so that's what's supporting my theory. Plus, it looks exactly like he his trying to lend his weight to ensuring JPP grounded the ball.

On the Denton facial, honestly, it's a bit of gamesmanship that we should all be able to live with. The tackler's fired up, just put in a great hit on a bigger man, and he wanted to leave an autograph. If Denton reacts - like some people suggest he should have - he's just taking the bait, so fair play from him just shrugging it off. A punch in response would have been a ridiculous over-reaction.

Ps. Maestri not banned? I'm sure the IRB have their reasons, but he's a very lucky boy.

joeythelemur November 21, 2013 1:56 am

I don't think anyone is suggesting DeVilliers is dirty; I'm a fan actually, as it's hard not to respect him. I thought at first that it was a bad attempt to help ground the ball but it was so poorly done, even that doesn't make much sense.

Rugby Lover November 20, 2013 12:24 am

I agree that it's better to answer with the rules, like with a big massive tackle, but knowing myself, I would just punch him right away. :-)

deelman November 20, 2013 2:18 am

As a bok supporter: I respect JPP as a very good winger, almost always solid and dangerous, but he consistently pisses me off with his USA-like celebrations (talking to you as well, De Jongh) and this 'gamesmanship' just adds fuel to the fire of SA-haters (and there are plenty already, thank you very much, JP).
Rugby teams are brands, nowadays, and the Springbok brand probably ranks below the top ten in terms of non-SA fans. We need someone to help manage ATTITUDE.
JdVilliers is a class act, I also think he tried to help JP over the line, because to see him doing something really stupid is odd. Benefit of doubt, then.
Willie Le Roux is an old school footballer. Not big, but jeepers mister! he's the medicine we needed for... a... l-o-o-ng time.
Really happy with our loose forwards.
Three asides: a.) Would be nice to have 3 world class fly-halves for depth like the AB's.
b.) Credit to the Scots for some big hits and tightening defense in 2nd half. Your problem is not heart, that's for sure. Problems probably in structures, and how the professional era affected you union.
and...c.) Lord I miss Bill McClaren commentating.

Deelman

Badge November 20, 2013 7:15 am

Scotland showed plenty of heart and I hope they regain their feet in the test arena soon. Hats off to my Bokke and especially to le Roux, what a performance. Can''t wait to see them take on France.

Guest November 20, 2013 9:38 am

I get really tired of people winging about SA players yet when AS are on the receiving end people seem to be ok with it. Before someone says what am I on about. 75` ruck. SA number 6 hurt by 5 Scot and stretchered off the pitch. Bakkies dose same thing and gets banned. It`s agame of rugby. There is always going to be a little niggle here or there Get over it.

semperfimamba November 22, 2013 2:22 am

I doubt Jean DV is dirty not saying anyone said that but just to clear it up. I have never met a nicer person. Remember the clothes line he got from Tualigi (sp) and just got up shook his head and then shook hands? And that time when a NZ player wasnt on the list ...he said lets play on, true gentleman and im sure you all would agree??

About Jim H's entry into that ruck, wasnt Bakkies banned for the exact same entry no binding just straight in and the welsh prop got propped? Havent heard anyone mention this unless y'all have already said the Bakkies ban was BS anyway.

Thoughts?

DrG November 22, 2013 6:37 pm

I didn't think Jim Hamiltons ruck entry was that bad actually :/ looks to me like he targeted under Louw. If I get a minute I'll have a look at the Bakkies vs Adam Jones video thats floating around, but if I recall correctly, these two incidents seem slightly different..

Benny November 22, 2013 9:12 pm

Around 4:30, love it, the forwards all "don't hold me back" and finally walk away and you realise Lambie was hidden in the middle of it keeping the peace.