Biggest Hits in World Rugby in August

Cheslin Kolbe dazzling run, no look pass

5 Biggest Hits of the Premiership season

Top 5 Australian Rugby Lookalikes ever

Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

Ben Funnell slamming tackle on Hawkins

Ben Tameifuna banned for pushing referee

Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Horwill & Bismarck Du Plessis slaps

Monday, December 02, 2013

Sonny Bill Williams on Rugby League vs Rugby Union and life in general

New Zealand dual international Sonny Bill Williams spoke to CNN recently about what it is like to play both Rugby Union and Rugby League for his country, which is the better sport and what makes him happy.

Williams returned to League after a five year stint in Union, and after having helped the Sydney Roosters to a NRL title this year, he had a chance of becoming the first man to ever have won both a Rugby World Cup (2011), and a League World Cup.

That wasn't to be however as New Zealand were steamrolled by the Australian Kangaroos, who won 34-2 in the final at Old Trafford this past weekend.

"I'm heartbroken, just feeling really bad. I left it all out there today," said Williams post match.

"In the last 20 minutes it was disappointing. I guess I tried to over-play my hand, I tried to come up with something special and it just wasn't to be. I definitely feel gutted for the brothers but full credit to Australia, they were just too good."

Williams was awarded the RLIF International Player of the Year three days before the final, surprising fans as he wasn't a standout in the tournament, and made little impact in the final.

It's been a good year regardless, and Union fans anxiously await his return for the All Blacks, where he will no doubt be in with a very high chance of winning another Rugby World Cup in 2015.

Posted in Player Features

DanKnapp December 02, 2013 2:00 pm

Damn, I'd always wanted to go for a beer with the guy, now I find out it'll never happen...

matt December 03, 2013 10:02 am

So I did hear it right? He's become a muslim? That caught me a little off guard. But whatever keeps him happy enough to keep playing at that rediculous standard.

DrG December 04, 2013 1:47 pm

Been one for ages...

Benny December 06, 2013 4:21 pm

I could be wrong but he probably converted because his manager Nasser is Muslim. There were a few other Muslims at the doggies over the years so maybe it happened back then but first i heard about it was when he was refusing water while on his first tour to SA during Ramadan.

Nasser also managed Anthony Mundine, who converted and has himself converted Blake Ferguson a few weeks ago. I wouldn't be surprised if Quade Cooper "came out" and announced he had too.

JonnyBoy December 02, 2013 11:11 pm

Always liked the guy, comes across arrogant but I think he's just a nice quiet guy. Just hope he sticks to Union eventually.

DanKnapp December 02, 2013 11:35 pm

He's so bloody good, he's got a right to be pretty arrogant. The fact that he seems so decent is utterly to his credit. I cannot get my head around how fit and how skilful he is. Absolutely insane.

Reality December 03, 2013 7:57 pm

I don't know JonnyBoy. He seems nice enough in this video, but we are talking about the man that started his Union career by signing a contract with Toulon and getting a flight to France without even telling his League club that he was quitting. I think that's pretty awful and not something a nice, humble person would do.

glutemax December 04, 2013 5:13 am

I think he has learned and moved on from that debacle. He is a class athlete and really professional. Check out this interview from earlier in the year, gives another insight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vDv-b4X2zc

View Video

KingDong December 06, 2013 9:05 am

All kiwis are arrogant, world surveys convey this lol