The Human Hurdle Attempt

Why you should always tackle low

Sam Burgess breaks cheekbone, plays on

Step and unbelievable dummy sets up try

Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Brian O'Driscoll Breakdown Masterclass

Female Streaker has no regrets

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Ben Flower red card for vicious punches

Monday, December 09, 2013

Brian O'Driscoll's pass through the legs sets up Luke Fitzgerald try

Brian O'Driscoll was at his mesmeric best as Leinster crushed Northampton Saints 40-7 at Franklin's Gardens in round 3 of the Heineken Cup. Leinster scored six tries, including this one that featured an audacious through the legs flick from O'Driscoll.

The veteran centre rolled back the years as he set up a few tries and scored one himself. He was awarded Man of the Match, but praised his side, and specifically hat-trick hero Luke Fitzgerald.

"I've got the man-of-the-match but I find that amusing when I saw performances like Luke Fitzgerald's today," said O'Driscoll post match. "I thought he was outstanding. Besides the tries, I thought his energy was fantastic. There were lots of those sort of performances."

Northampton Saints director of rugby Jim Mallinger said his team's showing was embarrassing.

"We were embarrassed out there and came second best. We made a terrible start and that didn't improve. Sometimes you make bad starts and have a bad 5-10 minutes, but you at least expect to come back fighting. But we were completely outclassed.

"I feel embarrassed because we've let the fans down. We have some great fans here. They love their European rugby. It's a great competition for us but we've messed up. We were bad."

O'Driscoll meanwhile said he enjoyed his time out there, even if he was subbed before full time.

"I had fun today. I have yet to finish 80 minutes this season - they're looking after the old guy! But I'm enjoying it and it's only my second game in blue this year.

"I love playing for this team. We've managed to build a relatively good history in recent years and now it's about trying to build on that again," he added.

The two sides will meet for the round 4 return fixture in Dublin this coming weekend.

Posted at 8:30 am | 16 comments

Brian O'Driscoll's incredible skill at training

Brian O'Driscoll answers the fans' call with extension

Brian O'Driscoll back from the dead, then a neat flick pass

Don't Stop Believing - the Brian O'Driscoll collection

Brian O'Driscoll's great chip & chase try vs Wasps

Brian O'Driscoll's moment of genius against Ulster

Posted in Great Tries, See it to Believe it

Warren Gatland December 09, 2013 10:29 am

Meh.

ConnachtMan December 09, 2013 1:41 pm

Warren wins the internet! lol

Flow December 09, 2013 10:37 am

I always remember Spencer's one to Rokocoko against Springboks

DanKnapp December 09, 2013 11:08 am

You win 'Best Post of the Year' 2013. Well done.

TotesMcGoates December 09, 2013 12:04 pm

Lollers.

Great pic above as well!

The Green Mafia December 09, 2013 2:42 pm

How can a man be 235342 years old and still be that good a player? I guess class really is permanent!

Ando December 09, 2013 7:29 pm

He must've learnt that "tunnel ball" move from Carlos Spencer

mise December 09, 2013 9:29 pm

He's brought this into his game recently - did it against samoa too - interesting development at his age!

Kewne December 09, 2013 9:37 pm

0.18: In from the side and tip-tackle by O'Driscoll?

TotesMcGoates December 09, 2013 10:07 pm

D'Arcy.

Maybe, seemed innocuous enough but we've seen them given.

dave December 10, 2013 1:40 am

RUGBYDUMP
is it possible to get Miles Benjamin's first try vs montpellier?!
he shows great skill in beating 4 defenders by stepping and then great power by fending of the 5th tackler all within 25 metres!

Canadian content December 10, 2013 3:50 am

The impressive thing about this is that he takes a line to set this up. Sucks Burrell right in and then a beautiful slight of hand. Truly lost art in this day and age of big fat smashing 13s

DrG December 11, 2013 11:07 am

Thing I find is that BOD has developed over the years. He has lost some speed (probably due to age) but gained some bulk (perhaps a contribution to his speed loss), so he's not shy of breaking through a defence and now he has some bulk to do it with, however it is not his only tactic. Too many times we see a team introduce; as you said, a big fat smashing 13 that shows little awareness other than "run hard and crash through", which is fine until they're well marked.

I don't know what it is but I find BOD is really hemmed in 90% of the time and given no room. Whether he has lost some edge or whether the opposition has 'got his number' I don't know.. I found the same happened to Jason Robinson, in his latter years he was unable to produce as many insane steps or something because he was always set upon instantly.

So my point is, BOD may have lost space, and speed but he has developed his game further in other aspects and is really playing a kamikaze style at the moment.

Canadian content December 11, 2013 10:16 pm

You're right, he has lost some speed. That being said, he was probably the fastest centre in the world at one time (hat trick against France in 99, Brilliance in Oz in 2001, comes to mind) and 14 years of pro rugby takes a toll on you and your speed. I liken him to a 13 with a 10's mentality, always looking to open up the defence, which can be crucial for producing tries in the 13 channel.

I do worry about his style and his health though. BOD always puts his body on the line, which makes him so great in part, but has also had him ending up on the wrong side of some bullocking runs in recent years.

Any which way, he may be my favorite player of all time, partially because of the picture of above which illustrates the humanity with which he plays. He always seemed like a guy who'd be fun to have a beer with, who you could banter with, despite his outrageous gifts.

DAMN YOU GATLAND I'LL NEVER LET THAT SNUB GO!!!

Benny December 13, 2013 2:53 pm

I misread the titled as was expecting to see him pass through the legs of someone else to set up a try. Now that would have been impressive! Between his own legs is good enough but a bit of a let down considering my expectations.