Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Jebb Sinclair red card for leading elbow

Carlos Spencer & Stephen Larkham fight

Japanese player loses ball over tryline

Ma'afu banned for punch on Tom Youngs

Closing montage from Heineken Cup final

Jason Rutledge's great tryline defence

The Top 5 French Flair moments

Courtney Lawes crunches Charlie Hodgson

Sunday, January 05, 2014

Joe Marler smashes big wing George North at Franklin's Gardens

Prop Joe Marler made a huge tackle on big Northampton Saints, Wales and Lions wing George North during Harlequins meeting with the Saints this weekend. Here is a quick look at the hit as well as highlights from the match.

Saints won the match 23-9 and North scored a well taken try after bumping off a far smaller challenge in the form of Charlie Walker, but when up against Marler he came off second best.

"Young Charlie Walker is a talented player but when you're one on one with George, you have to make sure you make a good tackle," said Jim Mallinder of the impressive North try. "We needed that from George, it was fantastic to see him score in the corner."

George Pisi also made a huge hit, but his was of the illegal vareity and he was sinbinned. View highlights of the match, including North's try and Pisi's hit, on page two of this post.

View more big tackles from over the years in our Big Hits section

Page: 12View All

Posted in Big Hits & Dirty Play

DrG January 05, 2014 6:45 pm

Got to be a slow fooking season if that goes down as "tackle of the season"...

Brilliant tackle, great effort etc etc, but not "exciting" enough to be tackle of the season for my liking..

DrG January 06, 2014 5:02 pm

You're kidding right?

Can't even say it's apples and oranges as even those have more similarities in the fact they're fruit!!!

Marler is heavier and shorter and a hooker, which are the most obvious differences between him and Folau.

Again for those attending Zoolander's School for kids who can't read good the tackle was brilliant. But if you want to start handing out trophies for tackle of the season then I wouldn't start here.

DanKnapp January 06, 2014 7:56 pm

Agree with DrG. It was a great tackle, but not tackle of the season. Will make the highlight reel, but hopefully won't be the best. Good smash though.

Smobrugby January 06, 2014 9:00 pm

You know Marler is a prop not a hooker right? I assume your comment was supposed to be ironic given the "Zoolander's school for kids that can't read good" comment..... ????????

DrG January 07, 2014 1:48 am

....yeup...um...irony...that is definitely what that was.

*facepalm*

Leadbitter January 06, 2014 12:37 pm

Are you kidding DrG? with respect.
George North has been putting world rugby on its arse for about 2 years now; for the very first time we all get to see him get smashed and you don't think that's up to much. Crikey - tough audience.

aidy668 January 06, 2014 3:40 pm

quite right! especially when you look at the Lions tour and how he picked Folau when he tried to tackle him and ran with the player in one arm and the ball in the other!

DrG January 06, 2014 5:06 pm

So aidy, if we're saying North did so well to pick up Folau, then why didn't he use the same control to bring him back down? Rather than end up doing an ostrich impression...

That was a good effort from North, but I can pick up 100kg over my shoulder.. I'm not saying I could catch a rugby ball, control it, pick up 100kg and run ....(then not very elegantly go head first into the soil).. but then again I don't play pro rugby...

Canadian content January 06, 2014 9:31 pm

100 kgs of Israel folau is a little different than the one big bloke you played club against last weekend mate.

DrG January 07, 2014 11:02 am

100kg is 100kg...

My height and weight stats are very similar to George North... As I said, I doubt I'd be able to catch the ball, pick up 100kg, do as GN did etc etc etc, but I can pick up 100kg..

I don't know why this has become such a big deal when I clearly did not knock the tackle Marler made, I just stated that the commentators words about it being "tackle of the season" did not ring true with my opinion...

As for picking up 100kg/Folau/bag of spuds, none of it makes any difference as it's a completely different scenario.

stroudos January 07, 2014 4:52 pm

DrG, what are you talking about? How can you say that's a rubbish tackle? I suppose you can tackle better than that? Also, you're saying you're the same size as George North and you can only lift 100kg! Etc etc.

Well, everyone else seems to be getting good mileage out of trolling you, I thought I'd get on the bandwagon....

DrG January 08, 2014 2:31 am

Bloody hell Stroudos, you had me there.. I was wondering how I was going to explain this to someone who regularly shows common sense...

dave January 07, 2014 6:25 pm

everybody here chill the fuck out
were here to enjoy a nice hit, not fight among ourselves like girls who stole tampons from one another
what a hit though, marler isn't the biggest loosehead but I reckon he's physically the strongest loosehead we've had since andrew sheridan in the england set up, and he' still just a boy really, he'll be a scary brute when he's 28 considering he's already a savage

stroudos January 07, 2014 8:16 pm

Corbisiero (when he's not crocked) is a stronger loosehead and a better all-round rugby player. But I do like Marler, exciting player.

dave January 07, 2014 10:01 pm

I'm not talking in terms of rugby technique, or strength at loosehead
I'm talking deadlift/squat/power clean totals
Marler looks like he's maxed out his muscle capacity for his age,
I bet you anything he's stronger than corbs and vunipola

stroudos January 08, 2014 8:01 am

Well I'll take your word for that unless they publish official stats on the players' accomplishments in the gym. I remember some of the bench press numbers that got bandied about re Sheridan were eye-boggling.

DrG January 06, 2014 5:03 pm

No, I am not kidding, with respect. Read the reply above which states that this tackle is brilliant but not "tackle of the season".

Leadbitter January 06, 2014 5:16 pm

Ok DrG - time will tell. I would bet 50 of my best English pennies that this wins or comes very close to being tackle of the season. Not since Jonah has there been a more fearsome figure on the wing; will he ever see him get hit that well again? If he doesn't, then Joe Marler has just put in the best tackle of a generation.

DanKnapp January 06, 2014 7:55 pm

Alesana Tuiliagi, no?

Leadbitter January 06, 2014 8:25 pm

Good shout Dan. AT on most peoples highlight reel. Massive hits but as technically perfect as this one? Marler is large but not big, big.

DanKnapp January 06, 2014 10:30 pm

Hey, I'm not knocking the tackle, but as I said up there and as DrG said, it won't be the hit of the season.

Mr M January 06, 2014 12:40 pm

Sit Down please, excellent tackle!!!!!!!!!!

Welshie January 06, 2014 4:36 pm

Wow man, first time to c George being smashed like that..., veryvery good tackle...
Also dont understand that guy saying that wasnt one of the tackles of the season.., North is really difficult to smashed

Welshie January 06, 2014 4:36 pm

Colombes January 06, 2014 5:16 pm

textbook!
like in a precedent article, i invite people to cheer for that type of tackle than tip-tackle ones

Canadian content January 06, 2014 9:34 pm

Agreed, perfect form, and safe for the tackler too, head in the right spot.

That said marler is 6 feet 250, whereas George is 6'4 245, so he definitely has a lower centre of gravity and should win where physics are concerned. As far as I know, most wrecking balls are lighter than the buildings they smash down.

dave January 07, 2014 6:30 pm

what's impressive about this is the fact that north picked up so much speed and momentum and it was all nullified in an instant when he was hit by marler, we've all seen north smash back 250 lb + forwards I dont think we've seen anyone who dumped him but i'm willing to bet manu tuilagi is another individual who could put a hit like that on north

pagra January 06, 2014 8:21 pm

Eh.. Good tackle. But he hit North perfectly above the waist and used his momentum and horizontal axis against him. Lift up as you hit is the rule.

Canadian content January 06, 2014 9:36 pm

Where'd all this tackle of the season silliness come from anyway?

DanKnapp January 06, 2014 10:53 pm

It's in the audio, think it's Austin Healey, a man who knows all about putting in the big hits.

stroudos January 07, 2014 4:50 pm

A rare piece of hyperbole from the usually calm and phlegmatic Healey.

Leadbitter January 07, 2014 1:30 pm

One for the purists perhaps.

ccm January 11, 2014 8:21 am

This is an amazing tackle because unlike most "big hits" the ball carrier was not off balance and smashed easily. Big George North was going hard and had a good body position, Marler ate hit for breakfast!