Jason Rutledge's great tryline defence

Carlos Spencer & Stephen Larkham fight

The Top 5 French Flair moments

Eddie Butler on Jonny Wilkinson career

Barbarians too good for England XV

Ma'afu banned for punch on Tom Youngs

Catch up with Sam Warburton

Dafydd Howells scores quickest try ever?

Bloody Florian Fritz returns to play

Saturday, February 08, 2014

Ireland outplay Wales for convincing week two win in Dublin

Ireland never looked out of control in Dublin as they beat defending Six Nations champions Wales 26-3. Johnny Sexton was on fine form, kicking two early penalties and converting Chris Henry's try, before Paddy Jackson came on and rubbed salt in the wound with a converted try of his own.

*Updated: Official extended highlights now updated above

Posted in Six Nations 2014

Schultz February 08, 2014 5:17 pm

Ireland shut Wales down completely here which I can understand is frustrating to the Welsh, but surely it is time for Wales to sort Phillips out, it just seems like he is an incident waiting to happen.

Dave February 08, 2014 6:02 pm

What is wrong with Phillips? Must be the most irritating man in international rugby now that Ashton is gone...

Mastersa February 08, 2014 8:31 pm

Glad to see the couple of cheap shots shown in the clip ended in a Welsh players going off. The shoulder charge on Drico had cracked ribs written all over it but hey it's indestructo Drico and yer man goes off with a shoulder injury. Wales have some very social players but they were tactically nobbled today. You can bet England will target to set piece and 9 and 10 channel so Gatland will a plan B which he clearly lacked against his old employer.

finedisregard February 08, 2014 9:15 pm

Somebody needs to punch Mike Phillips in the face. He's such a moron.

DrG February 08, 2014 10:47 pm

I don't see a problem necessarily with a scrum half having a dig as often as he can; the scrum halves of old were perfectionists at being little shits!, the problem I have with Mike Phillips is this tough man thing where he has to be the 'enforcer'.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm no chicken, but I'm sure MP is probably quite 'hard', so I'm not saying he can't handle himself, but at the end of the day he appears to impose himself on others through his height and size, and it NEVER amounts to anything...

As we had a short while ago, comments about what referee's have said to each of us, the one which had me laughing and that I think fits very well here, is the comment about a referee saying 'either punch each other already or get on with the game.' Now for all MP's in your face, getting involved in everything, crap, he never appears to do anything, other than cuddle or shove... which is a bit tiring to watch, at least if he threw a sneaky dig and set the whole thing off with punches everywhere we could all sit back and watch with amusement, but it's the kind of cute shit that you sit back and think, don't kid yourself Mike, the likes of Martin Johnson, Bakkies Botha, Grewcock, Buck Shelton, etc, would fooking eat you alive, it just so happens that the levels of punishment now are not worth the risk of giving MP a quick clock on the conk!

DrG February 09, 2014 2:23 am

I just had a thought right, I know the MP seemed to start all these little shoving matches after the whistle etc so it's not necessarily applicable...butttt....

...One thing that could somewhat eradicate 'fighting' in rugby DURING the game, would be for referee's to let play continue... I mean imagine these massive French brawls that we saw a while ago where you have near 15v15 where the ball pops out and one guy decides if he picks the ball up he can make it to the try line whilst the others sort each other out... I reckon most would stop scrapping or not get involved very quickly... especially if the game is on the line.. just a thought..

DaRabman February 09, 2014 10:21 am

I'm not particularly interested in seeing the rise of tactical brawls in the game of rugby.

benji February 09, 2014 8:37 am

Its an interesting idea DrG, I think it would probably have the desired effect as players would be rewarded in the long term by club/sponsors. But it's probably more the games stance on allowing fights, might put parents off allowing kids to start the game. Or thats the way the RFU may see it..

Cluainoir February 09, 2014 9:44 am

What about the cheap shot on Jackson after he scored his try?? That is the most cowardly thing you can do on a rugby pitch, hope williams is cited and receives a lengthy ban.

D0m3 February 09, 2014 9:58 am

What about the punch from Healy to Warbuton while binding in the scrum ? Was funny but looked like it was on purpose !

Mastersa February 09, 2014 12:11 pm

Not to me. Simply accident I think.

Phil mc avity February 09, 2014 10:03 am

BBC moved their satelite and we can't get it in France anymore (bbc way better than french tv for rugby) .... Gutted...

REA February 09, 2014 12:40 pm

Could you get it through BBC Iplayer?

Phil mc avity February 09, 2014 10:04 am

O'Driscoll should get a round of applause by all the players from each team at the end of the 6 nations

Reality February 09, 2014 12:43 pm

Good game by Ireland. A bit light on backline moves for my liking but the team as a whole functioned really well. Everybody looked very comfortable in what they did and the individual and collective strengths were exploited to their fullest. I haven't seen Ireland dominate a team like that in every single way since...the reverse fixture last year.

Wayne Barnes though needs to hang his head in shame. I was watching the match with Italian commentary and they were absolutely laying into him for the whole match because of his ridiculous performance. By the end they were actually just laughing and saying, "The referee's decision is final" because they couldn't explain his ridiculous decision-making. Aside from the fact that the Welsh players were lying all over the ball in the first 20 minutes with impunity and that Barnes kept penalising Irish players for legitimate turnovers, his inability to spot the shoulder-charge on O'Driscoll is quite damning and when he gave Wales a lineout after Halfpenney had clearly knocked it into touch was just beyond ridiculous. Then there was a knock-on that he missed and at least one forward pass. Also, was he afraid of Phillips, because any other referee would have given him a stern warning about being a gobshite and penalised him but Barnes just let it slide. And then that Liam Williams shoulder to the face at the end should have been penalised as well because it was just so blatant. I like the fact that he can make big calls when he needs to (Hartley red card) but he's quite lacking in all other aspects of being a referee.

All I can say is that I'm glad his poor performance didn't cost Ireland the game like it did two years ago. Please IRB, start investing more in developing good referees.

Django February 09, 2014 2:31 pm

Wales are a spent force. Halfpenny made poor decisions for the second game on the run. Warburton and the front three looked very tired and weak. Hibbard was fortunate not to be picked up for cheating by stepping towards his team prior to line-out throw-ins. France will take them to the cleaners and England should be able to make the home advantage count. I look forward to reading many chippy whinges from our Welsh chums in due course.

dec February 09, 2014 4:32 pm

I only noticed George North was actually playing when they kicked the ball at him in like the 70th minute. Loved how the Irish defence was so organised

NotAWelshDavies February 09, 2014 5:25 pm

Ireland had a good game plan which allowed them to dominate the game, unfortunately it was fairly negative, just using set piece dominance to crush Wales. The tactics were spot on though, I took a lot of bravery from Schmit to see the Welsh pack couldn't handle the heat.
Barnes was crap for both teams. Barnes allowed both teams to get away with dirty play on the floor (lenient towards the Welsh). It was shit reffing to let Halfpenny get away with knocking it into touch, but equally, Sexton got away with a kick that went out straight on the full. I thought William's tackle on BOD was legal in the end; BOD went over so easily, it would have been impossible to get arms around him before he hit the floor.

CIAN HEALY NEW EXACTLY WHAT HE WAS DOING. HE'S A GOOD PLAYER, BUT A COMPLETE THUG.

Mastersa February 11, 2014 2:39 pm

I'd agree, if his hand went up closed fist but it didn't. I dont think he is even stupid enough to risk breaking a thumb for a cheap shot. It was just an accident for me.

DrG February 09, 2014 7:39 pm

Whacking the flanker is a common tactic used. When playing on the flank I've been caught upside the head a few times.. One of those tactics that's probably used to make the flanker go spare and give away a penalty. Not sure about it's use on Warburton who seems to be someone who stays out of trouble a lot...

DrG February 10, 2014 1:57 am

Just to add, it used to be more common with the 'crouch, touch, engage' calls...

I've been caught on the 'engage' where the prop swings...

Connor February 09, 2014 11:20 pm

Hi Phil, check out www.filmon.com, then select bbc one or two. i know it's a stream but if you have good internet then there's nothing to worry about. just get an hdmi cable connecting you're tv to computer. i live in germany and use it all the time. works perfectly.

dave February 10, 2014 12:25 am

Ireland seems to be turning into the new england with their suffocating forward style of play, I used to be excited to watch ireland but they're so boring now, however they're winning games and that deserves credit, good job ireland on tearing wales a new one, if any country deserved a pasting it was them, so sick of all this ""wales! WALES!" nonsense going around,
funny how they are so quiet right now, i'll do it for them
wales! wales!!!!

stroudos February 10, 2014 8:56 am

Much as I love a free-flowing spectacle of running rugby, I'm not sure you can describe the Irish forward-dominated style of play as boring. It's just smart rugby. They still fling the ball about when the chance, but they're doing so at the right time and in the right parts of the pitch. Schmidt's influence in all of this, as well as the sensible tactical kicking game, is no coincidence and he deserves a lot of credit.

dave February 11, 2014 11:27 pm

dude... that game sucked

DrG February 12, 2014 11:36 am

dude... are you Welsh?

dave February 13, 2014 2:42 am

I think if you look up to where my comments started you'll realize the answer to that....

stroudos February 10, 2014 8:58 am

This is a bit hypocritical, as I pity these "anyone-but-England" celts, but I must admit I really enjoy watching Wales lose at rugby...

ConnachtMan February 10, 2014 10:52 am

Glad to see the maul back in action, just shows how potent it can be to attack...

Wolonel February 11, 2014 3:30 am

Cian Healy a Complete Thug? Who are these people? Watch some bloody rugby for feck's sake. Oh look another Welsh lad who watches only Wales and the odd Lions series! Check out Dirty Play on this website for starters! Then go analyse Healy's engagement style. Then give Warby a call and tell him to go
and analyse it too! I SWEAR JUST TALKING DURING MATCHES AND SEEING NOTHING!!!!

Reality February 11, 2014 12:48 pm

He got suspended once for stamping so now everything he does on a rugby pitch he does out of thuggery. Doesn't that make sense to you?

Jeri February 11, 2014 8:55 am

Sexton if you could've kicked like that last year Ireland could've achieved historic victory against the ABs

Wolonel February 11, 2014 1:09 pm

Hah! Fantasy! Thuggery is not stamping on legs slowing down ball. He did deserve the ban though. Thuggery is different, so my answer to you sir is no...

DrG February 11, 2014 9:18 pm

Internet sarcasm or tongue in cheek comments are not your strong point are they...

DrG February 11, 2014 9:18 pm

*Understanding internet sarcasm...

johnthunder February 11, 2014 4:09 pm

anyone know where to find the full version of the match? i'm in south america. thanks.

Kevinros February 11, 2014 6:42 pm

It's on YouTube or check reddit rugbyunion for a link

Wolonel February 11, 2014 10:56 pm

*Understanding internet sarcasm is a no-no