Female Streaker has no regrets

Joe Marler and his unsual pets

Southland sensational try after big bump

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Why you should always tackle low

Tana Umaga smashes into brother Mike

Ben Funnell slamming tackle on Hawkins

Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Ludovic Mercier crazy reverse pass

Sunday, February 09, 2014

England retain Calcutta Cup after dominant performance at Murrayfield

England ran out 20-0 winners in a one-sided Calcutta Cup match at a boggy Murrayfield on Saturday. Both Luther Burrell and Mike Brown scored tries again, converted by Owen Farrell. Conditions underfoot were awful, hampering the efforts of both teams at times.

Try scorer Brown, who had another good game at fullback, paid tribute to his team mates.

"The forwards put an outstanding shift in. Faz (Owen Farrell) at 10 and DC (Danny Care) at nine just pulling the strings, it was overall outstanding," he said.

Captain Chris Robshaw however said that his team needs to be more clinical.

"We weren't too happy with our attack, I felt we left some points out there," Robshaw told BBC Sport. "We got away with it today, we might not get away with it next time."

Scotland struggled with their lineout, losing 5 in total, and conceded 14 turnovers.

"You're not going to win with a lineout that doesn’t work," said Chris Cusiter post match.

"We just couldn't get anything going. We seemed to be committing too many to rucks, not getting any fast ball, and we started missing tackles at the end. We just could never put them under pressure. It's hugely disappointing."

Scotland were kept scoreless in the Calcutta Cup fixture for the first time since 1978. They haven't scored a try in their last four Tests and travel to Italy next, where they haven't won in eight years.

Extended official highlights are now updated below

Posted at 10:47 am | 51 comments

Posted in Six Nations 2014

benji February 09, 2014 1:42 pm

England didnt seem quite as convincing as Ireland beating Wales. Was it just the awful condition of the pitch? Seemed to affect Farrells kicking anyway!
I thought they seemed to lack some basic communication?? Like throwing the ball onto the floor coming out of the lineout! Seemed to pull it off it just didnt appear that clinical.

Jonny May seems pretty quick! even if he does have a lazy pass!!

Nick February 09, 2014 11:59 pm

what game did you watch? it was certainly more convincing than Ireland and Scotland

DrG February 11, 2014 1:38 pm

Nick, not sure if that is a typo in your comment, but firstly benji commented on the game not being as convincing as Ireland beating WALES (not Scotland).

To some extent I agree. Scotland sadly are the whipping boys this year (with probably a loss coming up in Rome soon). But Wales were favourites from the competition, came into it as defending Champs etc.. and they were well and truly thrashed by Ireland. Scotland getting spanked was the most probable outcome. I felt the game was going to go two ways, the Scots getting spanked, OR, Scotland closing the game down and reducing the scoreline but still getting beaten. I think if England play like that against Ireland, it's going to be a tough day for them.

Canadian content February 09, 2014 1:57 pm

Johnson has instilled a brutal lack of self belief with the ball in hand in this Scottish team, evident from the opening kick off. Deep kick to vunipola, one worlds best ball carriers, they actually knock him back! Kick, Denton counters, runs a man over, gets into the English 40 m. Things are looking good! And then they kick. THEY KICK! Straight to touch! Yes I'm sure the poor execution wasn't the plan. But if your team believes that the best option with front foot ball in the opponents half, early in the game is a kick, well u must be Scottish. Brutal. This team needs a new coach and 10, fast

MisterDavid February 11, 2014 2:20 pm

In the Telegraph it quoted Johnson as saying that the plan was to kick, 'to turn England'. As you point out, that was a crap plan, carried out badly.

You mentioned fly-half: why is Duncan Weir being picked when he offers so little? Last 6N Ruaridh Jackson played most of the games and did pretty well, while Tom Heathcote is yet to be called up in spite of having more potential than any of them.

matt February 09, 2014 5:30 pm

I missed the first few minutes of the game so wasn't aware until just now that Danny Care threw away free attacking ball with another drop goal. That attention whoring little turd makes me so angry it hurts.

jimmy23 February 09, 2014 5:40 pm

Well it was a penalty advantage, hardly 'attention seeking' more taking an opportunity

45678 February 09, 2014 5:44 pm

If he had missed, there would have been a penalty shot. Either way 3 points. Funny when Zinzan brook did it, it was seen as genius

matt February 09, 2014 6:29 pm

If he hadn't taken the very unlikely shot then england would have had front foot possession in the opposition half with zero risk of losing possession if the screwed it up. Instead Care took a shot that is extremely unlikely to succeed (although, kudos on nailing it, that part is at least well done) which normally would have just ended up with Farrell stepping up to do the same thing, but with a much higher chance of success.
Why not use the ball when you have it? What's his rush to get rid of it?

Facepalm February 09, 2014 6:44 pm

Early in last weekend's match England threw away 3 points by doing exactly as you suggested and running away the advantage. The next time the situation came up, Care slotted the drop goal. This week, the same situation came up and Care slotted the drop goal. Does that really make you "so angry it hurts"? or are you just always angry?

45678 February 09, 2014 6:54 pm

The refs seem seem pretty quick to call advantage and since we crossed the try line only twice in 80 mins, it would make sense to build a lead and keep the score board ticking over. If 3 points is the difference between us and Ireland or Wales, I'd take it

I think you just don't like DC.

stroudos February 10, 2014 5:00 am

matt: Farrell stepping up to do the same thing, but with a much higher chance of success.
Ordinarily maybe, but not on Saturday's evidence.

I dislike drop goals any time, I just prefer to see people running about with the ball in their hands. But I've come to accept that points on the board, especially early in the match, are invaluable. Keep that score ticking over and you shift the momentum of the game so much in your favour. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush -or as a mate of mine used to say, a bush in the hand is worth two birds in the pub.

Phil mc avity February 10, 2014 8:43 pm

I don't know Stroudos... Two in the pink is way better than one in the stink...

stroudos February 10, 2014 5:18 am

matt, I find it odd that you've singled out Danny Care for criticism, based on one decision that you disagreed with - you're wrong on that, by the way; he put points on the board at a crucial time in the game. Regardless of that, for the second time in as many games, he was arguably England's most dynamic player, zipping round the park with real vigour, consistently delivering quick ball and playing a key role in both tries.

Reality February 10, 2014 11:38 am

I'm inclined to agree with Matt here. I'm not saying I share his dislike for Danny Care, but in that situation where you have advantage I think putting up a garryowen to land on the 5m-line and potentially cause havoc in the Scottish defence would be a better choice than a speculative drop goal. If England didn't have a decent goal-kicker then fine, but Farrell normally is very solid in that regard, so it could be considered as throwing away a free opportunity to do something risky but with potentially a high pay-off.

I feel the same way about other teams who when they get advantage they just continue to do pick-and-drives and then after 20 seconds of going nowhere they come back for the penalty. They could do so much more with it.

stroudos February 10, 2014 4:12 pm

Agree with the sentiment and I remember getting frustrated in the 2nd Jonny Wilkinson era where he would drop a goal when England had possession and momentum. Personally I would much rather see the ball moved about and kept in hand. But the fact is, JW used to keep the scoreboard ticking over and that gave the team confidence; it became a virtuous cycle in that they more quickly worked back into a position to knock another 3 points over.

I've never played any forward position(!) but the impression I get often is that when they see all their hard work and graft rewarded with a few points it's highly motivating for them. I'd always prefer to see 5 points scored rather than three*, but tactically speaking, 9 times out of 10 it just makes sense to knock the points over at the first available opportunity.

* By the way, and at the risk of opening a large can of worms, I'd be happy to see penalties and drop goals reduced to 2 pts, or tries rewarded with 6pts, in order to encourage teams to try and score tries rather than taking the easier points.

DrG February 10, 2014 5:28 pm

I'm somewhat a neutral so I might not be the best person to comment on what England SHOULD or SHOULDN'T do... but

I know the risk would be to try something adventurous and lose the penalty advantage and leave with nothing. But I have to say, I agree that they're in a win win situation... Of course Farrells kicking was a bit off but that was unknown at the time.

So you get the advantage, you try for 5 and a near guaranteed 2, if you fail you leave with just 3.. I'd be happy for Care to go for the drop goal if England were getting screwed up front, and it was a case of, lets get rid of the ball and get 3...

Also I agree with you Stroudos, I'd love to see kicks reduced to 2 points.. Confusing addition to that might be, drop goals = 3, penalty kicks = 2. AT LEAST that way, Care could be fully justified going for a drop goal :D

Jimothy February 10, 2014 9:29 pm

If England were within 10 metres of the try line I would agree with you that it was simply attention seeking and they should try for the...well try! But because they are as far out as they are and have the chance of coming away with nothing I think it's worth the shot at the posts. As a spectator I'd much rather see what DC did than watch him ask the ref for the penalty and hand it over the OF for a long and laborious kick at goal!

Phil mc avity February 09, 2014 5:36 pm

Leidlaw (sorry if its spelt wrong) I think should play ten. Or at least the whole match. Also Idon't think you should take your captain of the pitch! No one does that! The captain is the leader, he should set the tempo, if you take him of the other players think...ah well that's us loss then. If you're that bad that your captain get's taken of you need a better coach. I feel sorry for scotland but they will finish last these six nations. Put Laidmaw 10 and cusiter 9. And bring in new young players! They've got nothing to lose! They might as well as start from the bottom and build rather than start from the bottom and stay there, because when all the experienced players (Lamont) leave, Scotland will be even more screwed

Facepalm February 09, 2014 7:01 pm

The main problem is that *Laidlaw was ever made captain in the first place. Kelly Brown was made a scape goat for the breakdown disaster Scotland had last week, leading to Johnson making this bizarre decision to pile on more pressure to a half back already under the cosh.

Phil mc avity February 09, 2014 7:09 pm

So problem with the coach...?

krip February 09, 2014 8:37 pm

I was thinking exactly the same. 9-10 duo with Cusiter and Leidlaw. Leidlaw is a good confident playmaker. A very clever player. Scotland actually looked great with him at 10 last year.

I am not sure if England were really dominant or the scots have many unsolved problems in their yard. Anyways english players look extremely arrogant to me. What`s wrong with Care, Farrell, Mike Brown... they behave really ugly recently.

The universe will punish them for sure. In the face of Ireland... that is.

stroudos February 10, 2014 1:56 pm

I didn't like Brown buggering about with Huget last weekend, but what have Farrell and Care done to upset you?

DrG February 10, 2014 5:32 pm

Krip, I think England definitely dominated Scotland... Scotland sadly got pumped...

They played bloody badly, but England capitalised on the game, put it this way, England weren't 'lucky' to get most of their points.

I agree Scotland had one of their worst performances of late - good running from a lot of players but they just weren't able to have their usual effect. Hogg is a player I love to watch, but he just seemed closed down. Scotland I felt were unlucky not to get any points that game.

45678 February 09, 2014 5:42 pm

Watching this game reminded me of 1st team practice run on a Thursday night. The second team put tackle suits on and try and be as disruptive as possible as the first team run through moves. It was one of those training sessions where the second team have the wind in their sails sick of being cannon fodder and are extra cynical, but the first team come through without really looking very impressive

Phil mc avity February 09, 2014 5:52 pm

Yep Scotland are shite and England should have put more points on the board, at least a try in the last ten minutes. The All blacks would score 3 tries against Scotland, at least and we should be aiming for that!

Nick February 10, 2014 12:03 am

to be honest if scotland played like they always do against england they would actually be in better standing

stroudos February 10, 2014 5:03 am

Yep. England are going to have to really psych themselves up for the next match, because unless they see this as anything more than a training session it will be very easy to build up a false sense of confidence.

DrG February 10, 2014 5:42 pm

Lol, I remember years ago our club went through a funny period with some of us falling out with the first team coach, players being put in the 1st team that weren't quite up to scratch and myself being in that 2nd team cannon fodder position..we kept it 100% legal and had the 10 of the first team nearly crying because we fucked up his 'game' so much. We stole 100% of their lineout ball (with them deciding where it's going in secret), so much so that we were told to stop jumping for the ball. Interceptions lead to whistle blows against us (as we weren't allowed to be 'playing', our scrum dominated theirs. Counter rucking almost every ruck and stealing it, (only for the whistle to be blown against us) - Our argument was that the opposition on Saturday aren't going to stand around like lemons and if the 'first' team can't sort it out against the 'seconds' then they're fooked! I believe a few shoving scraps broke out as well...

At the end of the evening 1st XV and coach had about 0 confidence and the rest of us were just pissing ourselves after a damn good training session knowing it was only a matter of time before 'Coachy' had some explaining to do - Don't remember when the next 1st v 2nds training session was after that!!!

Phil mc avity February 10, 2014 7:23 pm

When you're in the second team and you play against the 1st team, the best feeling is when you put in a C.Lawes tackle and the 1st coach notices and you can see him thinking... "Ok you've proved your point"

DrG February 10, 2014 9:13 pm

Definitely agree with you there. I had been playing in the first team, but then fall outs, university etc lead to me sitting in the 2nds for a while. As a second row/back row, I just loved stealing all the lineout ball! I said 100% probably more like 90%, with the remaining 10% being unclean 'swatted' ball from their second row lol.

Phil mc avity February 09, 2014 5:45 pm

For England: starting 15 great! May is quick but not too sure on his defence I would give Watson a go this year 100%!!
On the bench the only good player is Morgan. The rest are shite, lucky they didnt play for too long otherwise Scotland would have scored. Youngs should be dropped 100% until he can throw! I don't care even if Lancaster brings on the unfit Rob Webber to replace youngs on the bench but personally I would go for someone young (not by the name YOUNGS! XD) to give them experience. A young hooker could really benefit playing in the shadow of Hartley (he done it in the shadow of Thompson in 2009-2010). Farrell brilliant. I would drop Barritt and put someone that could change a game/speed it up like Eastmond on the bench. But cant wait till Tuiliagi comes back!!! Attwood is like Banahan: he walks around and points at everyone he is also late in defence! I'm amazed no one has spotted this. If you're an England fan please look for this he is lazy and should be dropped. That is ridiculous for a replacment to come on and replace such a hard worker (Launchbry-Lawes) and walk around!

I would like to discuss and hear other peoples opinions on the england squad (23) for the next game and end of six nations. The england rugby page on facebook isnt great (most of the people commenting are coogars who fancy Robshaw or people who don't have a clue and say "bring back Strettle!") XD

FatProp February 09, 2014 8:07 pm

I love doing 15's so here we go
1. Vunipola 2.Hartley 3. Cole
4.Launchbury 5.Lawes
6.Wood 8. Vunipola 7. Robshaw
9. Care 10. Farrell
12. Eastmond 13. Burrell
11.May 15. Brown 14. Nowell

16. George brilliant youngster saracens have developed
17. Marler
18. Wilson
19. Kitchner/Attwood/Slater all offer something different kitchner is a great lineout operator and has serious speed. Attwood is a tight ball carrier and is good in the scrum. Slater is a monster
20. Morgan
21. Wigglesworth ( personally I would have used simpson but he isnt on the squad)
22. Ford/Cipriani/Twelvetrees
23.Watson/Daly

Phil mc avity February 09, 2014 9:38 pm

No Tuiliagi? What if corbs and Manu are back for the ireland game? And why would you go for Mako instead of Marler? Good choice though! Don't you think Attwood is lazy?

FatProp February 10, 2014 11:03 am

With Manu and Corbs, Tuilagi is fantastic and if it where a world cup he would be playing but he wont be match fit and has Burrell really done anything so wrong he deserves to be dropped for someone with no match experience for the last 4 months is it ?
Corbisiero is (in my opinion) when fit the best loosehead in the world but injury is just ruining him so why risk him? It isn't so unlikely that he will be injured for the world cup so get Mako and Marler starting games so they have game time. Also Mako is a great carrier so I want him and billy both smashing the line. Also the Attwood thing I haven't noticed it so when they play Ireland I will look out for it!

DrG February 10, 2014 5:45 pm

'has Burrell really done anything so wrong he deserves to be dropped for someone with no match experience for the last 4 months is it ?'

...If it were up to Warren Gatland, then yes!

......ooooooo, in there before the Irish!

Jimothy February 10, 2014 9:52 pm

wish I could *like* this more than once :)

Phil mc avity February 10, 2014 7:11 pm

All england fans look out for lazy players, walking around, up to rucks, (Alex Goode/Attwood) you will spot it!

Phil mc avity February 10, 2014 7:12 pm

I wouldn't drop Burrell!!! I'd drop 36 and put burrell in 12 with Manu 13

Rob February 10, 2014 4:27 pm

Phil you're cracking me up on Attwood, you really dislike him don't you!

Phil mc avity February 10, 2014 7:20 pm

I hate lazy players. When clive woodward highlighted michalaks lazy walking which led to a try last year, I loved it. The french don't pick that up, well they dont mention that on the commentary pannel. Where as in the uk (on the BBC) I think the more players that arent giving it 100% are highlighted, the better quality rugby we will see. England have a fit pack. (Maybe not the warburtons/dusautoirs big hit smash your ribs flankers) but we have a really athletic pack from 1-8. Croft was brill because he plays like that. And I hate it when you take a world class player of who has just given it everything and is "foocked" to be replaced by someone that isnt going to try and raise the bar. Next time Lancaster keep a smashed cheek boned courtney lawes on instead of bringing on someone who isnt going to play any better.

Phil mc avity February 09, 2014 5:49 pm

For the next England game my 23 would be:

(Unchanged 15)
16 Anyone but Youngs!!!!
17 Corbisiero/Vunipola
18 Wilson if fit
19 Ed Slater
20 Morgan
21 Ben Youngs
22 Eastmond/Ford
23 Watson

If Tuiliagi is back, I would maybe try Burrell 12 and Manu 13 and drop 36 to the bench or totally.

benji February 09, 2014 6:55 pm

When is Tuiliagi back?? I'm sure Youngs went through a stage of being numero one for hooker at some point (and justifiably so) but it certainly stopped working when he came on yesterday.

Phil mc avity February 09, 2014 7:10 pm

If all goes well, back for Ireland!

MisterDavid February 11, 2014 2:28 pm

I don't see Tuilagi starting with no match-practice. More like a 60th minute replacement to scare the life out of a tiring defence.

45678 February 09, 2014 7:16 pm

In tom youngs defence, the locks and props are equally important in securing lineouts, so it's not all his fault. When positional changes take place, you'd expect them to be comfortable, but it's clear as it was for Scotland that the timing was all over the place. You'd expect all combinations to get practice time, but I bet the starting xv get more than most, even for an international set up. Still if Rory best can sort himself out, you'd think youngs can too

Phil mc avity February 09, 2014 7:33 pm

Whatever it is the coaches need to sort it out quick.

dave February 11, 2014 3:08 am

I bet tom wood and Peter O mahony get into a grapple/pushing contest next game

Phil mc avity February 11, 2014 4:04 pm

As long as the pushing doesn't turn into dangerous forehead rubbing (sounds like a rough porn film!)

Pipo February 11, 2014 10:09 pm

I wonder if I will ever see the day when someone with BALLS decides to implement a relegation system in the 6 Nations and the 6 Nations B (Spain, Portugal, Germany, Georgia, Russia and Romania).

One team, the last of the 6, would go down to the 6 Nations B, while the winner of it would go up and have a chance against the top tier teams.

ah... alas, this will never be but a dream.

DrG February 12, 2014 11:28 am

Doesn't really take balls, but you're changing one competition into an entirely different one.

One could argue why stop there? Why not create an american football style competition where all the NH teams play each other and all the SH teams play each other and then the winners of the NH and SH duke it out for the World Hemisphere Rugby title...

6 Nations keeps it quite small with each team playing each other once per year.

The logical step the 6N could possibly have would be to introduce a home and away fixtures for all teams, so they all play each other on home turf and then all play each other on away turf... even thats going to drag it out a bit...