Ben Funnell slamming tackle on Hawkins

Sam Burgess breaks cheekbone, plays on

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Prop lays into fullback with big shot

Springboks edge All Blacks in thriller

Southland sensational try after big bump

Brian O'Driscoll Breakdown Masterclass

Ben Flower red card for vicious punches

Ludovic Mercier crazy reverse pass

Monday, February 24, 2014

The Best Tries scored in Round 2 of Super Rugby 2014

Super Rugby is now officially under way with a full set of matches in the second round, and one or two big upsets to keep everyone on their toes. Here's a quick look at some of the best tries scored over the course of the weekend.

Look out for great power from Robbie Fruean, up against his former side the Crusaders, to start things off. The Highlanders, Blues, Reds, Lions and Waratahs also scored excellent tries.

Are there any tries that aren't here that you think should be? Which is your favourite?

Posted at 10:09 am | 13 comments

Posted in Great Tries, Super Rugby 2014

matt February 24, 2014 8:18 pm

Wow I've missed this.
A 6 Nations, tight five, scrum wrestle in the mud will always be my first choice to watch, but the SH is entertaining

Canadian content February 25, 2014 4:47 am

Couldn't disagree more. I love six nations rugby, mainly due to the rivalries, but often after the game I feel underwhelmed... There's a reason the SH have won every RWC save one, they've either got better skills or are more allowed to express them.

matt February 25, 2014 11:02 am

Possibly, but even with all it's pace and skill, I still can't get as excited about a super game as I can about a 6N weekend

DanKnapp February 25, 2014 12:10 pm

I'm with you Matt, but I think that it's just cultural. If I was living in the SH I would get too excited by the 6N. The skills on show in the Super 15 are simply sublime. I only wish we would match it up here.

stroudos February 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Jesus, Fruean is immense.
Don't think I've seen Reds fullback before - he's got some wheels eh?

Juggernauter February 25, 2014 3:27 am

Welcome back, super rugby. We've missed you.

Eddie-g February 25, 2014 3:40 pm

@DanKnapp

If you asked the patrons in any SA bar if they would rather watch Super15 or 6N, the answer would be "both". I can't speak so much to Aus or NZ, but in SA, there is great interest in the 6N - my theory, it's test rugby, and fans are really interested in the results and respect the way the game has to sometimes be played in cold, damp conditions.

I always say that SuperXV is better for people less familiar with the game; but there's always room for an old-school arm-wrestle, and I think most fans like a dose of both. After a dire second weekend of 6N games, the Super XV action was most welcome. But the 6N was good again this weekend, especially at Twickenham.

DanKnapp February 25, 2014 9:22 pm

That's awesome to know. I really enjoy the 6N, I think it's one of the best sports tournaments on the planet because it's just the right size. You get to know all five opposition teams, there is a nice mix of home and away, there is a huge amount of history and so on. I love it.

You're right though, the 6N can throw up some miserable fixtures. The second weekend of this tournament was a bit bleh.

I also enjoy the raw speed of the game in the SH. I love the sheer honest physicality of the SA teams in particular.

Michael Marshall March 21, 2014 8:23 pm

As a Kiwi I've gotta totally agree with your comment about South Africans. I "liked" the south african rugby mag page recently because even if their team loses if it was to a better side they will praise the other side instead of bagging their team which kiwis do..they love rugby! Funny thing is this page has heaps of kiwis on it, probably there for the same reason I am ..a love of good rugby that comes before your own team.

Steve Lane February 25, 2014 11:08 pm

Ahh..memories. Last year I got my first taste of Southern Hemisphere Rugby in the flesh. Myself and the Kid went South to follow the Lions.

As well as the 2nd & Third Tests, We were at Newcastle, Warathas, Brumbies (Ouch!) and Melbourne Rebels grounds as we wound our way around NSW, ACT and Victoria. They were all great grounds with great fans.

Best of luck to all the teams in the Super XV - we'll be watching from the other side of the World, best of luck to all Rugby Union Players at all levels and all ages as you start your new seasons Down Under.

Have a great Winter.

muli-bolo February 26, 2014 3:29 am

1st two tries scored by 13s against their old clubs who didnt want them... niiiice and reds 15 has wheels!!

perfectthirteen February 26, 2014 7:17 pm

poor defending alot of the time in super 14...

Jon February 27, 2014 7:33 am

Haha, good enough when we play Northern Hemisphere teams.