Eddie Butler on Jonny Wilkinson career

George Pisi hit makes Shane Geraghty ill

Courtney Lawes crunches Charlie Hodgson

Catch up with Sam Warburton

Ma'afu banned for punch on Tom Youngs

Monday, March 10, 2014

England avenge Cardiff loss with convincing victory over Wales at Twickenham

England won the Triple Crown on Sunday after adding Wales to their list of conquests in this year's Six Nations. The defending champions were outplayed at Twickenham as the hosts avenged the heavy defeat in Cardiff last year with a 29-18 victory.

England are still in with a good shot at claiming the Championship and while the Triple Crown win would have been enjoyable - it's only the first time they've won it since 2003 - the Six Nations title is the main goal. To achieve that, they'll be hoping Ireland lose to France next weekend.

"Lifting the Triple Crown at Twickenham on Sunday was one of the most special moments of my England career," said skipper Chris Robshaw in his Telegraph column.

"We were embarrassed by Wales last season, there is no hiding from the fact. It has been a long year for a lot of us, so to go out and deliver a performance like that in front of our own supporters was a fantastic feeling.

"We will need a bit of luck in Paris and to deliver in Rome, but we have to believe we can win it."

England scored tries through Danny Care and Luther Burrell, and came close to a third after an excellent counter-attack following a Justin Tipuric error. Burrell was tackled out in the corner, foot on the line, but they will take heart from the manner in which they created the chance.

Courtney Lawes played a big part in that, and was Man of the Match on the day.

From Wales' point of view, coach Warren Gatland is no stranger to being under fire, but he'll have plenty to answer for when one inspects the apparent lack of a a Plan B. With the Rugby World Cup a year away, it appears the Lions-packed side will need to a big 12 months to turn things around.

Posted in Six Nations 2014

Eddie-g March 10, 2014 4:30 pm

Interesting symmetry to this 6N with England, realistically, now hoping France can do to Ireland what they did to England in week 1.

No question really though who the best two sides have been, and if the 6N does come down to being decided on points difference, you'd maybe say Sexton is the main reason it breaks in Ireland's favour.

As a SA fan though, and I've been telling my many English friends, I think this England side has a different energy and purpose to it. They look good for the next world cup, I am certainly not unhappy we avoided them in the group stage.

DanKnapp March 10, 2014 9:58 pm

If Ireland win next weekend, and they probably will, then they are deserved winners. I think they've been class this tournament. Happy to lose to them on points difference. I know it's daft to be sentimental, but I'd be kinda happy to see Ireland win the 6N in BOD's last year. The man has been absolutely immense over the years in a blue, green or red shirt.

I'm not sure I'd agree about Sexton. I think Farrell has been better.

DanKnapp March 10, 2014 10:07 pm

Gutted for Halfpenny. He's been absolute class for so long, he gave everything for the cause. His covering tackle on Burrell was outstanding. I wish him a very speedy recovery.

dave March 11, 2014 3:44 pm

too bad burrell didn't try to get the ball away to atwood on that play, it looked like danny care was coming in support to atwood, maybe we could have gone through another phase in attack

FatProp March 10, 2014 6:00 pm

Was a vey good game
Positives
Defence Defence Defence we where awesome I can remember 2 chances had but they never looked like scoring a try. Our back three Always made meters and look damn dangerous our attack as a whole looks okay.
Half back pairing is starting to click. And the pack can match nearly anyone.
The negatives
The penalties we gave away where stupid and wales did not need to work for them. And lancaster emptied the bench for no real reason.
on a side note I would say wales need to change their tactics to beat the Sanzar England Ireland because if you meet the physicality of wales they just can't win.
I really want to see eastmond and watson play against Italy.

DBRowan March 10, 2014 8:01 pm

Emptying the bench for no reason? Don't see how that was a problem at all, the only subs not made with 2 minutes to go (just to give young guys like Ford a bit of a run around when the game is already in the bag) was Vunipola on for Marler at 60 odd minutes which is a fine sub as Mako brings a huge impact, Youngs for Hartley at 69 (bringing on a Lions test starter) and Thomas for Wilson at 73 min - Thomas needs more intl time.

FatProp March 10, 2014 11:08 pm

With two minutes to go why are players like Goode, Johnson and Dickson coming on? I'm not saying that every sub was a bad one in fact vunipola was good sub as was youngs but did he need to bring on johnson for 2 minutes or Goode who really does not add anything.

stroudos March 11, 2014 8:44 am

FatProp: "Defence Defence Defence we were awesome "

Agree. When you see players like George North and Jamie Roberts aimlessly hoofing the ball away because they don't fancy trying to go through or around the defending player, you know the defence is at a seriously high standard.

ollie March 10, 2014 6:16 pm

England are looking more and more threatening in attack but still lack a little bit when it comes to converting chances. Wales were disappointing - particularly in the first half, so no need to get too excited but this england side is coming along really well.

Hats off to Halfpenny - body on the line as ever - he is a class act in any team (even when the rest of his team are soundly beaten).

matt March 10, 2014 6:45 pm

Totally agree with the Halfpenny comment, I spent the whole game cursing him for his faultless kicking, but was sorry to see him hurt.

Then watching the highlights above I noticed that when Danny care scores Halfpenny is the only player, pretty much, to react, and he takes the very brave decision to dive head first at Care's feet which was the only real option for stopping him at that stage.

DrG March 10, 2014 9:20 pm

One of the commentators mentioned he thought 1/2p slipped before stopping Care?

Phil mc avity March 10, 2014 9:59 pm

I just rewatched the match and looked for that, Halfpenny and Warburton we're the only two paying attention, Warburton was too far away and Halfpenny slipped as soon as Care tapped and went

matt March 11, 2014 10:04 am

Fair enough, even if it was a slip, he doesn't try to cushion his fall, just reaches out for anything to help

Phil mc avity March 10, 2014 6:26 pm

DROP JOHNNY MAY.

He runs sideways, I think he is in the top three for 'meters made' but they must be counting the meters he runs sideways and not the meters past the gain line! He isn't physical enough, so he gets smashed back and cant push over for the line for a try if he's 5m out which you need from a winger! I'm not a big Yarde fan because of his defence but I would definetly play Yarde ahead of May and also I would like to see Watson get a shot.
May is also shit under high ball.

Negatives over (a part from the penalties which, ok were a lot but mainly silly mistakes, and not late tackles or anything stupid)
I disagree with the bench, I thought Lancaster made the right shout, take care and farrell of with 5mins to go. It gives Ford the confidence now at least he's had 5mins game time in a winning match.
1 to 15... (-14) Brilliant! They looked good in every area, threatening. Everyone's kicking was spot on, and everyone had the confidence to try something.
Shame Burrell didn't get the try at the end but hats of to Halfpenny, (dislocated shoulder to save his team from a try, world class player hope he's alright for the world cup).

Farrell has matured big time over the last 2 years. People like Marler, Wood, Robshaw gave it their all in the rucks and tackles.
Also C.Lawes got man of the match...THAT'S WHY YOU DON'T DROP HIM.
I would really like to see people like Eastmond,Watson,Tuilagi,Yarde and Ford get a chance with this brilliant team.
I still think drop Goode!!! And May! 'May the pussay!'

England are really moving forward and it's great to see.

Wales, didn't have that confidence, the half backs we're poor, I'm not sure Philips would have been any better at 9. But they still have world class players, and should build from the defeat. Hopefully Halfpenny will be ok! Wales we're matched physically but defeated mentally.

Bring on Italy and then New Zealand!

Phil mc avity March 10, 2014 6:29 pm

(-11 sorry not "-14) Jack Nowell is getting better and more confident every game. I ment May was shite. But you probably got that anyway! XD

stroudos March 11, 2014 9:00 am

Phil mc avity: "I meant May was shite. But you probably got that anyway!"

Yes, I did get the general gist. Haven't seen this much wrath directed at one individual since your little pep talk via these pages to Dave Attwood. Hopefully Jonny May will respond in a similar fashion.......

BTW, I disagree, I think he's done very well so far. Haven't seen him make any mistakes under high ball and the lateral running is an optical illusion - if you watch carefully it's not aimless, he's probing for gaps and more often than not he seems to find an opportunity to straighten up and get some forward momentum together. And that try he should have grounded v Ireland, well he was being tackled by the top of his head, which slowed him down a bit, but yes he probably should have finished it - benefit of the doubt I reckon.

benji March 11, 2014 12:31 pm

I kind of agree, it looks a bit unusual but it seems to throw the defense a bit, just has to be careful that he run's to places where he has got support though. On the other hand, his handling seems quite lazy?? If you look at the way he handles the ball it seems so laid back!! hasn't made any serious mistakes with it but I seem to remember a slow pass beneath the posts in the scotland game where the receiver really had to stretch.

Phil mc avity March 11, 2014 6:37 pm

I agree, twice he has caught the ball and passed to Brown and then Brown has got´smashed because it was a shit decision.

FatProp March 10, 2014 6:38 pm

With the bench ford had 74 seconds on the pitch !! How is there anypoint in that I mean like 10- 5 minutes is goodbut a minute is poor. Also I think may is doing okay but he is a little eratic for his team aswell as the opposite side. I think that watson should have a go as he has real turn of foot but in a straight line .

Phil mc avity March 10, 2014 6:54 pm

My mistake I thought he came on around 74mins.
Anyway it was too risky to bring him on before, and maybe Farrell had cramp or something don't know. But I think the coaches had a reason for it.
I think May is a weak link in the team. I would like to see Watson, but at the moment even if Yarde is brought in for May I would be happy.

FatProp March 10, 2014 7:08 pm

In fairness you said attwood was lazy and he put in his best performance so I would now like to congratulate may on his 5 tries against italy

Phil mc avity March 10, 2014 7:31 pm

And Marler for his 47m drop goal :D

DrG March 14, 2014 9:55 am

That would be impressive considering he isn't going to be playing ;)

hellraiser_rob March 10, 2014 7:42 pm

i'm starting to get the feeling you don't like May?

45678 March 10, 2014 8:46 pm

may had his best game yesterday. I agree, he looks like a third team winger the way he crabs infield all the time, but you have to give him his due he always makes yards! he has the pace to run around. he was good under the high ball apart from one where he was taken out by Jamie Roberts (poite didn't want to over penalise anyone yesterday for taking out in the air?) and was defensively sound

nowell on the other hand looked good going forward, but how many tackles did he miss?

Phil mc avity March 10, 2014 9:18 pm

If May had his best game.... Oh nooo.... Also he was shit under the high ball, twice he didnt jumped and just let Cuthberth jump and land on him.

dave March 14, 2014 11:14 pm

that's a bull comment phil, sure he's run in lateral a few tmes but he's also gained ground on almost all those runs, maybe he would have went for it against wales gone into touch and then we wouldn't have had that twelvetrees to burrell try,
also there was a moment against ireland where andrew trimble caught a high ball over jonny may and may waited until trimble landed and then tackled him with perfect timing, we ended getting a turn over from that and I couldn't help thinking that tuilagi or yarde might have been in the sin bin for that play potentially costing us the game,
his only really big screw up was the pass to mike brown going into touch that gave ireland a penalty
he hasn't always made the eye catching play but he's consistently made his tackles and has made less errors than nowell, I think the back three have been good, right now tuilagi can only come into this squad from the bench atm, other sides will target tuilagi all game to see if he's weak under the high ball and to see if he can do returning kicks
sometimes the solid pick is better than the flashy

Frase March 10, 2014 7:21 pm

In Stuart Lancaster we trust.

hellraiser_rob March 10, 2014 7:47 pm

Great game, although I was never very relaxed I must say! Just want to say that Luther Burrell is proving himself to be a real "test match animal" making the step up without any problems.

I know Farrell does polarise people, but have you noticed his defence? It's pretty incredible and he is responsible for a fair few turn overs per game.

DanKnapp March 10, 2014 9:50 pm

Agreed.

I used to slag Farrell off for not offering enough in attack, but he's coming good. His defence has always been immense - but then I bet Daddy Farrell probably had him tackled sides of beef as a toddler. It is in his attacking play that he is beginning to offer more, and he's still so young!

getitout March 10, 2014 8:22 pm

Curious as to how Tualagi will slot back into this, as I think Burrell has been one of the standout performers in the England backline but feel no matter how superbly he plays Tualagi will get the pick once hes fully recovered. Equally don't think you can play them both in the centres, would miss the creativity of Twelvetrees which he has begun to show in an England shirt this six nations.

Prior to the six nations, I thought England had troubles in the backline, especially the wings, looks like I was wrong. Depth starting to appear in pretty much every position.

matt March 10, 2014 8:31 pm

If I were picking the team I'd have Tuilagi on the bench. Tell Burrell to run his lungs out for the first 60, make the oppo 13 delirious with hard knocks and exhaustion until he sees a 17st replacement running towards him for the last 20. Then he'll do the logical thing and just give up

Phil mc avity March 10, 2014 9:14 pm

I agree with matt, also 36 can come of and Burrell move into 12 seen as thats where he plays with the N.Saints.

DanKnapp March 10, 2014 9:52 pm

Tuilagi (and England) would benefit from being told to go away and offer more than just smash and bash. For him to make the next step he needs to bring in better ball skills.

I wouldn't drop Burrell. He's in fine form and has looked good. He can only get better as he gets more experience at this level. Make Tuilagi fight for the place. We want two centres battling it out for their places.

Agreed that 36 has been a creative force that we've been lacking for a while. I'd still like to see him develop in order to be a bit more of a Greenwood, but he's impressed me this tournament.

stroudos March 11, 2014 9:07 am

@Phil - surprised not to see you calling for Tuilagi to replace May on the wing.

Phil mc avity March 11, 2014 6:41 pm

Lancaster won't drop anyone from the starting XV but I do recon he will slowly work him out of the team; Tuilagi will be on the bench this weekend and replace Goode, seen as Nowell and May can cover 15, Manu will come on the wing for May.
People will see he can play there, and then he will replace May.
Simples ;-)

Phil mc avity March 11, 2014 7:11 pm

Stroudos, Lancaster has just this minute named the team to face Italy :-)
Come on England!

stroudos March 11, 2014 9:17 am

Completely agree. Also, keep the oppo guessing because he could just as easily replace one of the wings and keep that very promising centre partnership intact.

Stuart Lancaster seems to be considering the wing option too:
“He had very little training time with us ahead of last weekend’s game, but we’d be more comfortable bringing him in for this one and if we choose to go down that road, we’d look to him to make an impact off the bench. He could certainly cover wing as well as midfield, with Jack Nowell and Jonny May [the current first-choice wings] able to cover full-back.”

hellraiser_rob March 10, 2014 9:21 pm

Did you see the BBC forum on the red button after the game? Clive Woodward said that Tualagi needs to add more to his game (kicking, passing, offloading) if he wants to get back in the team. And jiffy said he needs to look at Ma'a Nonu, who was told unless he finessed his all round game he would not be a long term black.

benji March 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Doesn't that kind of back up Matts idea by using his main strength (that is his strength..!) to demoralise his opposite number later in the game? obviously you need top players to have a wide range of skills, but clearly tuilagi's strength is a big positive and has served england well. It's just great to have these options, strength in depth!!

matt March 11, 2014 10:08 am

I agree, he would certainly benefit from developing an all round game, but would anyone say that at the moment if he played for a different country, you'd be happy to see him rock up at 60 minutes?

Facepalm March 12, 2014 8:21 pm

Harsh and unfair criticism always falls on Tuilagi based on poor hands. I'm not really sure I understand where this comes from.

Phil mc avity March 10, 2014 8:31 pm

What do other people think of May then??

hellraiser_rob March 10, 2014 9:00 pm

yeah, he was pretty shite, got turned over nearly every time he took the ball into contact, and as you say he's got more crabs than Jordan.

Phil mc avity March 10, 2014 9:13 pm

Brilliant! Sorry it's got nothing to do with the england match but what do you think of the french team?

hellraiser_rob March 11, 2014 7:00 am

I think the French have been simply terrible, yet somehow how pulled those two victories out the bag with the final plays.

I've got a guilty pleasure of reading the user comments on http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby most of them aren;t fooled by the lucky wins, and know the team is shit. They also hate PSA and most of them want FRA to loose to Italy so he gets sacked.

There is also some very grudging admiration for England plays :)

DanKnapp March 10, 2014 9:55 pm

I think he offers something different. The crabbing annoys me, but if he can tweak it then it might force defenders to back off and watch him. He's predictably unpredictable. He isn't international standard yet, but he might be able to develop into a special player. For now we aren't exactly over run with quality wings and I would be happy enough to see him line up in an England shirt again.

But he does need clear guidance from Lancaster in terms of what to do next. I think his inclusion is a positive decision (better than sticking with Ashton for all those games!) but he needs to be told exactly what he has to do to improve.

FatProp March 10, 2014 11:26 pm

I like him as a player but I think that he must have been told by lancaster to try and probe across the line, unless he forgets which line is the try line and starts heading for the opposite side of the pitch then thinks shit! Wrong line ! And then darts in. I would stick with him as I haven't seen him get too many clear chances.

matt March 11, 2014 10:10 am

I think he's an improvement on Ashton, Goode or Brown on the wing. So he may not be the best in the world, but he's a step (get it) in the right direction.

dave March 11, 2014 3:52 pm

I think he's been pretty good, he has a lot of x factor and will be better for having played this six nations, he's going to be dropped sooner or later, yarde showed that he was a more dangerous finisher on the argentina tour and he will take over for the all blacks tour so may will go back to gloucester and light it up and then start challenging yarde making both of them better

jimmy23 March 11, 2014 5:50 pm

He's had his up and downs so far. Although we have seen the crabbing work on occasion, he can't do it every single time. I think a bit more experience and he'll be awesome. Besides, I'd pick him over Ashton or Strettle ANY day of the week. At least he has the ability to beat players instead of just waiting to have a clear run to the try line before doing anything.

Phil mc avity March 10, 2014 8:36 pm

You cant say, that May reminds me of the other really good winger that used to run sideways like that. There is no other winger! Running sideways is shit.
But don't get me wrong, England are brilliant! And Burrell has really stepped up to the mark! And 36 is playing better! Maybe try Tuilagi on the wing, or just on the bench! Its always good to have good players in the same position!

benji March 10, 2014 9:32 pm

How many points do Ireland have on England? What kind of score do England need against Italy if Ireland beat France...?

Phil mc avity March 10, 2014 9:35 pm

Depends Ireland have around 50 points on England. If Ireland win by 15-20 that ups the challenge big time though! XD

benji March 10, 2014 10:01 pm

Thought it was something like that, just hoped it wasn't!

ollie March 10, 2014 10:11 pm

Tuilagi on the wing?! :D

FatProp March 10, 2014 11:19 pm

I seem to be wrong after looking at the comments but I thought that 36 has been rather average. I have seen 1 or 2 glimpses but he was probably better last year for glos. I want to see eastmond with burrell because Eastmond can keep defences on the back foot with pace and his passing. I think 36 is better at kicking and his power, but I would like to see Eastmond in an England shirt.

DanKnapp March 11, 2014 6:25 am

Oh, I totally disagree. His stats have been immense and he has been a decent provider. I say stick with him for the moment because it seems to be working well.

stroudos March 11, 2014 9:33 am

FatProp: "I seem to be wrong after looking at the comments"

Pleased to see that you acknowledge the Rugbydump comments section as the undisputed Oracle on facts.

Kingsley8 March 11, 2014 12:18 pm

As a proud welshman all I can say is congratulations to England. But all campaign Gatland has got his selection wrong. Phillips has had a bad run of games but didn't need to be dropped, Jenkins is past it, Priestland doesn't deserve to be in the training squad let alone the starting squad. Biggar got the backline moving last year but he hasn't had a look in all campaign. And what has James Hook done wrong?? He's in some really good form for Perpignan so why doesn't Gatland utilise this? If he want's to get these mammoth backs we've got running at smaller opposition surely Hook is the guy to do this? Anyways rant over. It pains me to say it but Well done England

MisterDavid March 11, 2014 4:46 pm

Selecting Priestland confuses the heck out of me: thoroughly thoroughly average, in pretty much every department. I think we can all assume that James Hook doesn't fit into Gatland's model (ie. he has too many ideas of his own), but it's a shame that such natural talent is being wasted. Ditto Henson (ooh, controversial!).

I'm not a Phillips fan - at all - but nevertheless it was always going to be a big ask for Webb to turn up at Twickenham behind a pressurised pack and look the part.

The other surprising thing for me about Wales on Sunday is that they looked heavily fatigued - gasping - from an early stage. The length of time taken for each lineout was indicative. Two or three years ago, stamina was one of a strong team's strongest points.

dave March 11, 2014 3:42 pm

I disagree with this being revenge for Cardiff, we won't have revenge for cardiff until we beat them in cardiff, this is revenge for them winning at twickers during their slam year

Leadbitter March 12, 2014 1:26 pm

Let us not waste too much time talking about Wales. Their redundant style of `bish bosh' rugby only had a limited shelf life which (as expected) has come to an end. Victims of their own success perhaps; After all, who needs to be creative when you have 17 stone backs and Halfpenny?
This England team is very, very good. Based on the rate of progression so far and the personnel involved, there is sound reason to suggest that they will surpass even the golden 2003 team with what they will go on to achieve. I don't see a weakness other than experience.
If England played NZ next week, although not favorites, you would watch that match fancying your chances of England winning. They can live with side to side rugby, they can live with up the middle rugby. My honest prediction is that England and NZ will spend the next 8 years jockeying for position at no.1 and 2 in the world.

Facepalm March 12, 2014 8:39 pm

Let's not get carried away. Like you said, Wales were awful, and Ireland have also very comfortably put that team away. If you're looking for weaknesses look at the fact our wingers are yet to score a single try in the entire championship. Or the fact that an injury to Owen Farrell leaves us with a choice between two fly halves with less than 4 caps between them.

Don't get me wrong, England are on great form. But let's not write off the next 8 years of South African, Australian, or any other team in the 6N's rugby.

Leadbitter March 13, 2014 9:17 am

Hello Brother Facepalm,
Can we not get just a little carried away :)? Its been a long time coming after all.
Coming back to you on your two points; Has any side been scoring tries from the wing this tournament? Apart from picking up on the odd sloppy mistake by the other team, and apart from Ireland last Saturday, I cannot think of any out an out wingers tries. Ireland put Wales away without it going past 10 once.
An injury to Farrell would see George Ford come in, so as I said, apart from experience I don't see a problem there. I also think with Manu back and the competition for places coming up in the centers, Twelvetrees could slot in perfectly.
I would never be so bold as to write off all the other teams, but I do feel that on balance, This England team has more potential than any others side in world rugby. Time will tell.

Phil mc avity March 15, 2014 2:42 pm

Told you May was shite. (Italy match). XD May got...rugbydumped :D (twice)

DrG March 15, 2014 5:19 pm

He was pretty pants to be fair, watching him run across the pitch at one point was like looking some U13's match or something... ran across the bloody pitch and still got screwed over..

Not surprised Burrell was pissed at being subbed, could have left him on and brought Tuilagi onto the wing instead of May.