IRB rebrands to World Rugby

Test Rugby Results - Nov 15th weekend

Juan De Jongh vs Terry Crews dance off

Nigel Owens makes not straight comment

Toulon DVD - En Route Vers Le Doublé

5 Nominations for IRPA Try of the Year

Barbarians run riot vs Leicester Tigers

Prop Adam Jones' drop goal attempt

Metuisela Talebula brilliant finish

Monday, March 17, 2014

Wales achieve biggest ever win over 14-man Scotland in Cardiff

Scotland suffered their biggest ever Six Nations defeat as Wales piled on the points to crush them 51-3 at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday. Scotland went a man down in the first half as fullback Stuart Hogg was shown a red card for a dangerous challenge.

The Scots never fully recovered and after trailing just 10-3 at the time, they went on to concede another six tries as Wales looked to right the wrongs of their 2014 Championship campaign.

"I thought we were in the contest but it is a hell of a position to fill for that length of time," said Scotland coach Scott Johnson. "Once they were on a roll they played some pretty good rugby, too."

Hogg's late challenge on Dan Biggar was initially punished with just a yellow card, but after seeing replays on the big screen, referee Jerome Garces called Hogg back to show him red.

"We'd seen it in the box but we got a message pretty quickly to Sam Warburton to ask him to have the TMO have a look at it," said Wales coach Warren Gatland. "Sam hadn't even got to him (Garces) when he saw the replay on the screen and made his own decision after that."

Wales had a fairly easy ride after that, attacking from deep and scoring some lovely tries. George North and Jamie Roberts scored two apiece, while Liam Williams, Toby Faletau and Rhodri Williams all crossed to add to the miserable outing for the Scottish.

Wales finished in third position overall (equal with France but with a better points difference), while Scotland came in second from bottom, with Italy taking the Wooden Spoon.

Official extended highlights from the match, including the Hogg red card, are below

Posted at 8:06 am | 36 comments

Posted in Six Nations 2014

stroudos March 17, 2014 10:30 am

Good decision and excellent use of the technology. Again, it makes you wonder how much less aggro and frustration there would be in football if the refs were allowed to use their brains and to use the technology that could be made available.

I was really surprised by the dirty play from Hogg, haven't seen anything like that from him before. A massive loss to his team on the day. I would suggest that the guilt he'd have felt for letting his team down so badly would far outweigh the effect of any retrospective ban.

FelipeG March 17, 2014 11:02 am

Still wondering how France couldnt do more VS Scotland...

DrG March 18, 2014 11:41 am

Playing 15 players (at Murrayfield?). Not saying it's always going to be an issue for other teams, but the Scottish looked like they were really up for the game before Hogg got sent off... and indeed afterwards they really threw all they could at the Welsh, but a player down in the backs, especially HOGG of all players, really stuffed them.

Alyn Jones May 15, 2014 7:04 am

No mate, we were going to thrash you anyway. Scotland = rubbish and always will be...

katman March 17, 2014 11:36 am

Highlights commentator here reminds me of this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gPjMvTmE2g

View Video

DrG March 17, 2014 12:02 pm

I don't think any ban is needed for Hogg. To be honest it was marginally bad...

I'm still struggling to accept it as a red.. I only saw the incident in the slow motion replays and have now just seen it in full time, it actually looks much worse in real time, so maybe red...

I guess it was a shoulder to the head, so no real choice other than to give Hogg a red...

matt March 17, 2014 1:40 pm

A ban may be excessive, but I can't see how it could have been anything but red. It was late, high, off the ball and a shoulder charge. In my the only other tackle offence he could have committed was a spear, so it had to be red.

stroudos March 17, 2014 2:31 pm

@DrG, seriously? Marginally bad??

Look at the angle he ran in from, can't argue he was simply chasing his kick and couldn't stop because of momentum; on the contrary he went from a jog to actually speeding up to smash the guy.

It was late, he smashed Biggar in the face with his shoulder, absolutely nowhere near the right positioning to claim he was trying to charge the kick down.

You simply can't argue this is anything other than a nasty cheap shot. Albeit (as far as I'm aware) out of character.

However, I would agree he probably won't need a ban; the guilt of letting his team down by acting like a total twunt ought to hurt him enough.

DrG March 17, 2014 5:15 pm

Yeh watching it in real time makes it look really bad, I find the slow motion actually makes it look less...bad...

stroudos March 17, 2014 5:44 pm

What the slow motion replay that illustrates the time elapsed between Biggar's kick and Hogg's challenge, during which he could have attempted to pull out? Or that one that shows him changing direction slightly to aim his run more directly at Biggar's and then moving his shoulder *towards* the bloke's face?

stroudos March 17, 2014 5:46 pm

Sorry to take the piss mate, just I've never seen such a clear-cut case of foul play.

DrG March 17, 2014 10:33 pm

Not taking the piss at all. A lot of the time people say that slow motion makes things looks worse than they are. But I have found that in this case in particular the slow motion doesn't show the whole picture - whereas the full speed I have seen shows him far away and sprinting in...

DrG March 17, 2014 10:37 pm

Also just to clarify what I meant by the word 'marginally' was as one of the pundits has said - if it was shoulder to shoulder it would probably be a yellow card, but shoulder to head = red... I didn't mean the incident was marginally bad, I meant it was very close to being just a yellow..

matt March 18, 2014 6:32 pm

I he had been in the air when Biggar kicked it, I would call it marginal. But the fact that the ball goes, and then Hogg jumps just makes it a certainty to me

DrG March 17, 2014 12:32 pm

Something I've picked up on recently with Wales playing is that Faletau, is no longer known as 'Toby Faletau', they're all calling him Taulupe - His real name I guess. Has something been said to change this? It's just odd it changed...

Eddie-g March 17, 2014 3:16 pm

@DrG - I read elsewhere he simply wants to be known by his real name of Taulupe. Nothing more than that.

WelshOsprey March 17, 2014 5:09 pm

Wales play so much better without that stupid 'power game' mentality. Granted it was against 14 men but some of those offloads and tries were incredible.
Biggar has to be the clear choice at 10 now. Felt bad for Hogg because he caught Biggar in such a way, it looked really bad. Big guts from the ref though.

Owen March 17, 2014 5:19 pm

Completely agree, Gatland so fixated on certain things, Priestland and the big man smash game mentality just two of these things. Would rather see Scott Williams in the centres instead of Jamie Roberts, Webb in at 9 and Liam Williams on the wing instead of Cuthbert, if only just to give the running game a chance. Obviously Biggar at 10 too

matt March 17, 2014 6:42 pm

Fully agree with the ref comment. Making a call as big as that takes massive guts. Especially when you have to correct yourself in order to do it properly.

AJ_Capote March 19, 2014 9:30 am

Totally agree. I miss the days when Wales were known as the sidestepping maestros, not a team of 6ft3 18stone beasts!

The Welsh players also seem to be so much better when they play their natural game. A power game is naturally limited - as they found out against Ireland and England, if you match them physically it becomes incredibly limited. And not everyone is Jonah Lomu - I remember someone making a laughable comment that Wales had 15 Lomus a few seasons back. Please.

Let's not forget the 3rd Lions Test. When the (mostly Welsh) Lions cut loose and abandoned Warrenball, they cantered to victory.

matt March 17, 2014 6:43 pm

In watching the highlights after having seen the game it has made me think that Hogg seemed to have a stick up his arse the whole game. The first try above he seems to throw in a bit of a cheap shot as the guy grounds the ball, and I remember thinking at the time that it looked more than a bit unnecesassary, and then to follow it up with this seems to be more than just a momentary blood rush

Nate March 17, 2014 7:49 pm

Just seems like fullback cover to me. Liam Williams is a big boy I think he can take it plus he likes to dish that out on occasions too, I don't think he reacted to Hogg's hit. I really hope Wales don't take too much away from this match though. There is still a lot to work on especially since they really need to start beating southern hemisphere nations. I guess we'll see what happens for everyone in the tours and autumn tests.

Jimothy March 17, 2014 7:59 pm

perhaps Hogg is good friends with the Irish team :)

Jimothy March 17, 2014 8:02 pm

Some brilliant running in that game! Wales really took their opportunities. Disappointed with Hogg as I think he's a fantastic player! Also disappointed to see some of the 'fans' abusing him as he walks down the tunnel!!

I think if Wales want to progress they need Hook at 10! He's the only one with an all round game!!!

Phil mc avity March 17, 2014 9:30 pm

Hogg deserved his card, he went in for a dirty charge down, and he wasn't facing Biggar, so not 100% in control of his 'charge' (DRG don't have a go a me for bringing up the 'what ifs' XD) but that could have been a knock out on Biggar.

Wales played really well, really made the most of Scotland only being 14 men.
Also... Is Scotlands defence coach Chris Ashton? The scotish put in some big crunching...missed tackles.

It would be great if Wales got through to the 1/4 finals in the RWC 2015 (second to England in their pool) and had to face New Zealand in Cardiff! That would be an awesome match. I wonder if that's who they would face and where if they got through 2nd and New zealand first? (I will check it)

Also fair play to Roberts for that dive!!
I tried to do an 'Ash splash' during a rugby sevens match about 3years ago for a laugh and cocked it up and ended up just jumping really high parallel to the ground and smashing flat into it. Good times!

DrG March 17, 2014 10:39 pm

Lol, not at all Phil, I do agree.. I mean we are talking about 'shoulder hitting head' so depending on who that could easily be a KO...

Phil mc avity March 17, 2014 11:01 pm

Which for me is a ban.

DrG March 18, 2014 11:44 am

I'd imagine he will get a ban, hearing date is set and all (which I know always has to be done) but I suppose one cannot just let 'guilt and shame' be the ban.

Although I do feel sorry for him in some sense. His one piece of idiocy and he gets caught out straight away, Farrell has been pratting around all 6N and not once does he get caught.. (or maybe he got a yellow?)

DrG March 18, 2014 11:45 am

Sorry, just to add, I am not comparing Farrell individual indiscretions with this incident, but what I mean is he has a number of lightly (or yellow card) punishable offences, none of which were really picked up on..

stroudos March 18, 2014 8:22 am

Runner-up from Enland-Wales-Straya pool will most likely face South Africa in quarters, winner of our pool likely to play Samoa.

Ireland or France should get New Zealand 1/4 final.

Phil mc avity March 18, 2014 11:58 am

France All blacks would be great, they'd probably win knowing their RWC history against the All Blacks!

Badge March 18, 2014 5:40 pm