5 Nominations for IRPA Try of the Year

De Villiers injury might mean no RWC2015

Great sportsmanship from young 7's man

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Brad Barritt happy to put body on line

Hairy f*cking Martin Castrogiovanni rant

Nigel Owens makes not straight comment

Vote for the Sky NZ Fans Try of the Year

Player of 2014 Nominee, Willie Le Roux

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Stuart Hogg apologises after red card challenge on Dan Biggar

By now you've probably seen the Stuart Hogg red card incident from Saturday. It was posted as part of the official match highlights, but for archive purposes, it's up separately here now. Hogg has since apologised, details of which are below.

The Scotland fullback was sent off by referee Jerome Garces for a clumsy challenge he made on Dan Biggar during Wales' 51-3 win in Cardiff. Hogg first received a yellow card, but it was later switched to red when Garces saw the TV replays on the big screen.

Hogg has since admitted that he let his teammates down, and has issued a public apology.

"I would like to apologise to my teammates, the Scotland management and all Scotland supporters. I have said sorry to Dan Biggar and I have apologised to the referee," said Hogg.

"I always try to play hard and fair and what happened was out of character for me. Once again, I am very sorry. I have let people down. I always try to play hard and fair and what happened was out of character for me. Once again, I am very sorry," he added.

He is only the third Scotland player to ever be sent off in a Test match. The first was Nathan Hines against the USA in 2002, then Scott Murray against Wales in 2006.

DISCIPLINARY HEARING UPDATE:

Hogg faced a disciplinary hearing in London today and has received a three-week ban.

The charge was amended to an act of foul play contrary to Law 10.4 (f) - Playing an opponent without the ball - which is a mid range (five weeks) offence.

This was reduced by two weeks for mitigating factors, including the player's remorse for the incident both on the day of the match and subsequently through the media.

"I'm very sorry, I have let people down and apologise to my team-mates, the Scotland management and all Scotland supporters," he told scottishrugby.org today. "I am disappointed to be missing three games but fully respect the committee's decision."

Wales achieve biggest ever win over 14-man Scotland

Posted in Six Nations 2014

thegaffer89 March 18, 2014 11:21 pm

I don't think a long ban is deserved but the red is totally justified

Cardiff Blues Fan March 19, 2014 1:14 pm

Agreed, I think shipping 41 unanswered points is punishment enough.

Welsh and Proud March 19, 2014 4:55 pm

I think the sending off was right and to be honest hes not even a dirty player at all just what he done was spur of the moment

Eddie-g March 19, 2014 5:14 pm

I'm surprised he got 3 weeks.

Not only was the red correctly given at the time, but I don't know any player who's gotten similar punishment. Maa Nonu does one of these a season and never seems to get either a red or any more than a week off.

JohnF March 19, 2014 5:19 pm

To be fair, I'm surprised it happened so late in the 6 Nations…
Imagine how frustrating it must've been playing fullback for such a shit team?
He was the only spark of creativity for them, only glimmer of hope…
I commend him for putting up with the rest of them for the previous 4 games.

Pontypriddian March 19, 2014 5:29 pm

Yea, Hogg is a good guy, just a very bad moment of madness.

It looks worse every time i watch it, but he's genuinely sorry - red card and a 3 weeks seems about right to me.

DanKnapp March 20, 2014 11:16 am

I'm torn with this. I know he's genuinely sorry, but I just don't think that should be a factor. It is too easy for players to say sorry after doing something brutal. I've previously said it shouldn't be a factor in other cases, and I hold that now.

DrG March 20, 2014 1:56 pm

I think yourself and I have agree in the past that it is odd that a player who is so blatantly caught on camera perhaps poking another in the eye, would get a reduction for saying 'yes I did it, I'm sorry'....

But I agree here, the guy seems genuinely remorseful, but perhaps we all have to be fully accountable for our actions..

One could argue that Hogg has a pristine disciplinary record up until now, but is that necessarily a reason for leniency? Maybe (and I seriously doubt) this is the beginning of a long trend of violence towards others.

You could also argue that the player 'just lost his head', which again, is that a reason for leniency? When there is another 29 players out there who have managed NOT to lose their heads?

Of course I sound like I'm trying to get Hogg hanged, which I am definitely not trying to do, but so of the arguments I have just stated make the disciplinary panels' decisions look a bit odd when you look deeper into them.

DanKnapp March 20, 2014 8:14 pm

We're in agreement. I just don't think they should reduce the ban because the guy who did it was sorry. Of course they should be sorry, it was against the laws. You could ADD time if necessary, but if the ban starts at five weeks, then it should be five weeks.

DanKnapp March 20, 2014 8:18 pm

But fair play to Hogg, he did seem genuinely sorry. If he's really sorry, don't do it again.

Weggie March 19, 2014 7:06 pm

For what it's worth, you'd have to consider the incident as a stand-alone instance in the game. The fact they lost by 40+ doesn't really matter.
I've seen far worse, but if you've seen the slow mo, he catches him at full pace with a deliberate shoulder to the bottom of his jaw. It's reckless, dangerous and very out-of-character. He's young so he'll be forgiven, but I think the 3 match ban is justified. It was fairly brutal. Not only that, I think it'll discourage him from ever doing something similar again.

Fitzy March 19, 2014 7:19 pm

Brain snap

rugbydoug March 19, 2014 9:28 pm

It looked pretty fake to me, he was trying to avoid hitting the kicker and just ran into him, no malice intened.

DanKnapp March 20, 2014 6:39 am

I know what you mean. I was trying to avoid getting hit by a bus the other day and jumped right up into the windscreen with my shoulder.

DrG March 20, 2014 1:58 pm

Saying that.. they do say that is the best way to reduce your chances of death and lower limb damage if you're about to be hit by a car...

I'd imagine with a bus it might stop you going under it?

Perhaps ask Cipriani how it went down?

DanKnapp March 20, 2014 8:15 pm

I'm sorry that I can only like your Cipriani comment once.

aidy668 April 10, 2014 4:56 pm

didn't look fake to me, out of character without a doubt but 100% a foul! even if it hadn't been incredibly late - which it was - it would still have a been an illegal tackle as he made "no attempt to use his arms" and jumped with his shoulder into the guys jaw. I am without doubt having watched it at the time and replays since that it was justly a red!!

daluaine March 19, 2014 9:46 pm

Hogg is a fantastic player and one who obviously needs to be built around as Scotland go forward (and lets face it ... they can't go further backward!!). But he has to be made aware that what he did on saturday has no place in the modern game. It was not needed ... it wasn't even a questionable decision ... straight red. However, i do agree with some commentators in that this may end up in having a positive impact on him. He can only do this once, so never again. As someone who travelled to Cardiff with a number of family, at a fair cost, to only see 20 minutes of near competitive rugby was hugely disappointing. Stuart Hogg needs reminding of that in the years to come!! If I had any influence in the SRU, I would pay Jim Telfer for at least three hours to have a Telferesk discussion with Mr Hogg in a very closed room. Hogg would come out of the room hating Telfer ... but it would change him for good and for the better.

MattyJ March 20, 2014 2:10 am

Pretty professional foul tho doesn't look back, as many have said it did end the competitive game and the raping began so bit of a shame

DanKnapp March 20, 2014 6:40 am

Stay classy MattyJ!

brolly21 March 20, 2014 1:39 pm

yellow enough given the player concerned, difficult to listen to bbc "Jonathan" live commentary on the bbc, indignation over foul play is rich coming from the Welsh !

Larry March 21, 2014 1:01 am

It didn't seem like that bad of a charge to me. Maybe a yellow, but not a red card. I've seen much worse in the past not even get a penalty. Think back to Keith Murdoch and his antics on the All Blacks tour of 1972-73 to the Northern Hemisphere, and his dirty play against Munster and Llanelli. He should have been removed from either match for his kicking and punching.

Larry March 21, 2014 1:03 am

Sorry for the mistake on the last post. It was the Llanelli game, not the Munster match. Keith Murdoch was already sent "home" by the time of the Munster match.

RH March 21, 2014 6:40 pm

I'm sure a Melrose man telling a Hawick player what to do would go down very well... haha!

pinkers March 28, 2014 8:52 am

The red was deserved but I wonder if it was a Welsh player who hit a Scottish, would they have been soon keen to replay the incident on the big screen in slow motion, which is ultimately what got him sent off. And those that say he is not dirty I've seen a worrying trend with him in the past few seasons. The late hit, off the ball incidents have all crept into his game. Take the late hit on the first Welsh try scorer. By the way I am Scottish