Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

Horwill & Bismarck Du Plessis slaps

Female Streaker has no regrets

Learn more about incomparable Brad Thorn

George Pisi hit makes Shane Geraghty ill

Brian O'Driscoll Breakdown Masterclass

Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Cheslin Kolbe dazzling run, no look pass

Ben Tameifuna banned for pushing referee

Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Top 5 Brian O'Driscoll Moments of All Time

At the risk of Brian O'Driscoll fever overkill, here is one of the best tributes to the man, coming to you from the Fox Sports team and the very latest episode of Rugby HQ. Sean Maloney takes us through some of the most memorable BOD career moments.

Everyone has been talking about O'Driscoll in the last two weeks. Even Barrack Obama. The Ireland legend also got a mention in the WWE funnily enough, from Irish wrestling star Sheamus.

O'Driscoll is hanging up his Test rugby boots and is in much need of a well deserved break, but we'll never forget some of the incredible pieces of skill he has managed to produce over the years.

He wasn't a showman by any stretch of the imagination, but he has the talent and belief to try things when it matters. Here's a great look at some of those wonderful pieces of skill. If something was left out, it's probably because he had so many career highlights that could have been included.

Rugby HQ also organised a quick video message from BOD, who is also a Top 5 fan.

We've linked to a few of his best moments in the Related Posts below.

Ireland and O'Driscoll celebrate 2014 Six Nations victory

Scott Williams injures shoulder with big hit on O'Driscoll

Brian O'Driscoll's pass through the legs sets up try

Brian O'Driscoll's incredible skill at Lions training

Brian O'Driscoll answers fans' call with contract extension

Brian O'Driscoll back from the dead, then a neat flick pass

Brian O'Driscoll's record breaking 25 Championship tries

Brian O'Driscoll brilliance against New Zealand

Don't Stop Believing - the Brian O'Driscoll collection

Brian O'Driscoll's great chip & chase try vs Wasps

Brian O'Driscoll's moment of genius against Ulster

Posted in Top 5 compilations

DanKnapp March 20, 2014 3:36 pm

I don't want to be that guy RD, but it's 'Barack'.

DanKnapp March 20, 2014 3:41 pm

I love that he just changed his game when he lost a bit of pace. The best rugby player of my generation, one that I'll probably tell my son about and he'll never truly understand just how good he was...

DrG March 20, 2014 6:30 pm

Dan has summed that one up, we can only show the future generations the videos at hand and even small snippets don't come close to the great things he produced.

I think my Top BOD moment is definitely this though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpLd-Vi8qZA

View Video

DanKnapp March 20, 2014 8:11 pm

I didn't fully hear the original question. What was it? Something about Martin Johnson? Still a good response though, and a nice grin at the end.

themull March 20, 2014 8:51 pm

basically what did he think of Martin Johnson and what did he think of playing with him and "maybe give us an anecdotal story?"

Eddie-g March 20, 2014 7:11 pm

"The best rugby player of my generation"

Ok, hands up who wants to start a fight with Richie McCaw fanboys?

Nah, BOD is not just one of the best of this generation, he's one of the best of all time in any position. Still not sure if there is anything which tops his hattrick in Paris, but he's been so good for so long, and will be remembered for a very long time.

DrG March 20, 2014 11:26 pm

I think it would be fair to say that is a bit like apples and oranges regarding the positions, so it's not going to be an issue (or shouldn't be).

Not to try and argue because I do agree that he is one of the best of all time, but it probably wouldn't be right to compare him to the 'pre-professional' era of rugby players.

Full Back March 22, 2014 9:22 am

I'd agree up to a point. Whatever era you play in, the conditions are the same for your peers. BoD has evolved with the game which is what I think sets him apart from others. Geordan Murphy had blinding skill and had it not been for the huge frames of the professional era he probably would have made more of a name for himself.
BoD's numbers are more than impressive, record number of caps, record number of tries scored for any centre in the history of the game, top 6ns try scorer and this is all without counting the number of assists, turnovers and tackles.
As for positions I'd tend to agree with the apples and oranges, different skill sets, physique, role to play in the game.
I think "one of" the all time greats is fair, it puts him up there with Campese, Blanco, JPR, Gibson, Johnson, Wilkinson and yes the great McCaw....I'd say he'd be more than happy with the company!

DrG March 22, 2014 12:49 pm

Definitely agree there. I suppose that is why we have things like 'Super XV' teams :D

Canadian content March 20, 2014 9:01 pm

I'd have to add the 2009 Grand Slam to that list, he should have been IRB POTY, he truly led that team, along with POC, scored in 4 or 5 matches?

Ronan March 20, 2014 10:27 pm

Yeah but,
Hes a rubbish golfer!!!!
Brilliant....

stroudos March 21, 2014 6:05 am

Brilliant, but I'd bet a lot of money on BOD being bloody brilliant at golf...

perfectthirteen March 21, 2014 11:53 am

I actually heard rog i think it was saying hes a brilliant golfer

Jeri March 21, 2014 1:04 am

Take a bow Mr O'Driscoll, class player all the way

stroudos March 21, 2014 6:15 am

Now THAT is how you do a tribute video!

Take note, Adidas, with your moody black-and-white filming, "injury make-up" and feeding contrived lines to people who no doubt can say it better themselves.

Bloody love these lot, great banter and chemistry.

Obama bit quite cool, must be nice to get mentioned even if he clearly had no bloody idea who Brian O'Driscoll is!

RD: At the risk of Brian O'Driscoll fever overkill...
Don't think there's any chance of that! When a bloke is so awesome for so long and can still stay so grounded and humble, I think he deserves all the tributes he gets. And personally I don't think I'll ever get bored of watching O'Driscoll rugby highlights.

Reality March 21, 2014 1:45 pm

I don't think a forward pass to himself while his teammate takes out the defender should be considered one of his best five moments.

perfectthirteen March 21, 2014 3:51 pm

Definately not a forward pass...maybe crossing though not too sure...his try vs france in 2009 was up there

Reality March 21, 2014 5:18 pm

Well when the ball leaves his hand it's a metre behind the line and when it goes back into his hands it's a metre ahead of the line, so in my book it's a forward pass. And Hickie absolutely obstructs Maggs.

I agree about the try against France though. I think this as well would show well what a good defender he was:

View Video

DrG March 21, 2014 10:29 pm

Who taught you to measure?

Canadian content March 22, 2014 2:52 am

Not crossing if the defender commits to the man he dummies to, just a good sell

Reality March 24, 2014 8:14 am

I'd argue that it's crossing if the attacking player runs into and knocks the defender to the ground thereby preventing any possibility of reaching the ball-carrier. Maggs was clearly following O'Driscoll so how you can say he committed to Hickie is beyond me. Normally the way it works is that if the dummy runner is way ahead of the ball-carrier and causes significant contact with the defender it's considered obstruction. I'm a big fan of O'Driscoll too but in this case it was simply an illegal move.

DrG March 24, 2014 4:12 pm

I see what you're saying reality, I won't pass much judgement on this move as I really enjoyed it when I saw it the first time. To get technical here, I don't think you could call crossing if technically BOD didn't have ball in hand.. Would have to be obstruction if anything..

gunho March 21, 2014 3:23 pm

They missed so much! These are his best moments,

View Video

larry March 21, 2014 8:18 pm

I'm sure if Brian has any regrets about his career it's loosing to New Zealand last November, and at least one of those passes in the passage of play was forward as time expired with the All Blacks in possession.

Full Back March 22, 2014 9:29 am

To be honest as much as I was hoping for a mistake from the ABs their passes were flat at best

Jon March 25, 2014 11:01 pm

Sour grapes.
Ireland couldn't defend in the last ten minutes. No one to blame but themselves.
The passes were no more forward than forty others by Ireland and NZ throughout the game. The ball went backwards out of the hands, doesn't matter whether it drifted forwards.

Mastersa March 22, 2014 7:11 pm

It's hard to believe that any former amateurs could still be playing top flight rugby. Hoping to see some more magic in Rabo and Heiniken Cup before boots are finally hung up.

dave March 25, 2014 3:51 pm

lol, obama doesn't know wtf rugby is