Learn more about incomparable Brad Thorn

Cheslin Kolbe dazzling run, no look pass

Huge crunching tackle on USA club rugby

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

James Haskell's wasp related banter

Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

Ben Funnell slamming tackle on Hawkins

Catch up with MND sufferering Bok legend

George Pisi hit makes Shane Geraghty ill

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Best Tries scored in Round 6 of Super Rugby 2014

The standard of Super Rugby tries was yet again lifted in Round 6, as we saw some great team efforts as well as brilliant individual play by some of the stars of the Southern Hemisphere. Here are a selection of some of the best tries scored over the course of the weekend.

View more excellent tries and compilations in our Great Tries section

Posted at 7:19 am | 20 comments

Posted in Great Tries

Blindside March 25, 2014 1:35 pm

Have to say I love the opening line of commentary in this clip.

Pedro March 25, 2014 4:07 pm

Scotty Stevenson. He's a breath of fresh air ain't he! That man loves his job.
And "give it the jandal": that just choice bro!

Ando March 26, 2014 5:14 am

I recall I heard him say something about a player digging away at the ball in a ruck "like a pig on a truffle". Force v Highlanders I think it was. Classic!

Pedro March 25, 2014 4:14 pm

I vote for Cornal Hendricks for best try- and I haven't even finished the video...

Vladimir March 25, 2014 7:35 pm

I agree, well structured defense, wonderful inspiration from Le Roux, nice steps to finish.
Many 'not-so-flat-forward' passes in this video though...

Full Back March 25, 2014 6:00 pm

"Who is it Clarkey???"...

tphillipsstl March 25, 2014 7:01 pm

4 of those tries were the result of poor defense, not great skill. Defensive structure and effective tackling are lacking.

joeythelemur March 26, 2014 12:00 am

I rather enjoyed these, but the last one was a clunker. Not sure how that's one of the best scored this week. Determined running, I guess, but he didn't exactly make anyone miss and no passes.

I keep hearing the children's song: "One of these things is not like the others..." :-)

armchairref March 25, 2014 9:42 pm

I’m with Vladimir. Too many forward passes really. Just takes the edge off some great moves.

Jon March 25, 2014 10:05 pm

Welcome to modern rugby. If you aren't playing on the advantage line and throwing flat passes you aren't playing good attacking rugby.
You can cry about forward passes as much as you like, this is how the game is going to be played now.
At the end of the day if the pass comes out of the hands going backwards and drifts forward it's fine.

Canadian content March 25, 2014 10:59 pm

Completely agree Jon, this is modern rugby, I reviewed this video to see what the haters were talking about and frankly did not see forward passes. Sure u could review a few 10 times and maybe find something but is that what we want? Not me.

Tie between Hendricks, awesome line and swerves and hurricanes, awesome lines and offloads.

Haters gonna hate

Jon March 25, 2014 11:13 pm

Yeah, you get that I guess.
It's annoying in a way.
It's gotten a lot better than the days when Northern Hemsiphere fans would always cry about about the terrible defense in Super Rugby, or how it was basketball rugby.
I guess after a decade of getting beaten by the same players that can't tackle, they have had to change their tune.
Now it's subtle suggestion that the Southern Hemisphere teams throw sneaky forward passes or something.

Watching these tries you should be able to just appreciate the skill and enterprise involved. If you aren't seeing that in Northern rugby, the question should be why teams up North aren't increasing their skill, speed of play and enterprise to match.

Jon March 25, 2014 10:58 pm

Having now watched the video, I am flabbergasted by your comment. What forward passes?
I didn't see a single one.
Wtf are you even talking about?

finedisregard March 26, 2014 12:41 am

I like different elements of NH and SH rugby and I'm not trying to antagonize you. For watching try scoring highlights, Super Rugby is undoubtedly the best. Still, you don't think the 1st one looks forward at : 10?

Jon March 26, 2014 1:50 am

No, not at all. He clearly passes it backwards out of the hands. his hands are facing backwards.
It drifts forwards because all passes do that are made by someone who is moving. If you were to call that forward you would have to call about 50% of all passes in all games forward.

sportsfan1 March 25, 2014 11:04 pm

That first try by the Cheetah's is one of the best I've seen in a long time! That pass, That line.......beautiful!

Juggernauter March 26, 2014 12:58 am

Beale's brilliance at 12 must be the finding of the season eh

cheg March 26, 2014 11:35 am

As an English fan I am very anxious about the prospect of Israel Folau running riot in the World Cup...

Vladimir March 26, 2014 1:26 pm

About 'forward' passes. You just have to look againt at Betham's try for instance. The players making the pass stands right before the 10m line and Betham receives it 1m inside. And, oh, the passer was not running fast enough, he was just passing forward : just a few cm but it makes all the difference for the defender.