Ben Funnell slamming tackle on Hawkins

5 Biggest Hits of the Premiership season

Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Mike Brown's great try saving tackle

Catch up with MND sufferering Bok legend

Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

Southland sensational try after big bump

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Cheslin Kolbe dazzling run, no look pass

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Logovi'i Mulipola prop try included in Premiership Try of the Week nominations

Here are the nominations for Try of the Week in Round 17 of the Aviva Premiership. Five great tries are on offer, including a brilliant prop try scored by big Leicester Tigers front rower Logovi'i Mulipola. The other tries are excellent and well worth seeing too.

The Tries:
1. Sam Betty - Worcester Warriors vs London Wasps | 2. Mark Cueto - Sale Sharks vs Northampton Saints | 3. Jonny May - Gloucester Rugby vs Newcastle Falcons | 4. George McGuigan - Gloucester Rugby vs Newcastle Falcons | 5. Logovi'i Mulipola - Leicester Tigers vs Exeter Chiefs

Which is your favourite, and why?

Stubby March 26, 2014 9:44 pm

20 stone! that is a solid Samoan.

armchairref March 27, 2014 7:58 am

did for Jack Nowell

armchairref March 27, 2014 8:01 am

poor technique by Nowell though. Small guy like him is never going to stop a big lump like that. He should have let Mulipola get along side or just past him before going in and he would have avoided the impact which knackered his shoulder.

stroudos March 27, 2014 8:10 am

"Aye, that's a sight to behold - 20 stones on the hoof"

Jonny May try - if only international wings were as accommodating as that Newcastle player: "oh you're going to telegraph a cut-inside as soon as you receive the ball? Well here you go then, let me just open this door for you. You're welcome".

Mark Cueto try - surely at least one of those passes went forward? I see he's still doing a massive slam-dunk motion when finishing tries in very tight spaces then - cf RWC 2007. Can't argue with his record though I suppose! Looks like some very unnecessary chat to the defending player too.

DanKnapp March 27, 2014 10:18 am

I assumed the 'chat' was just a bit of mutual respect. Didn't see any reason to think it was him being a dick. What do you mean by a massive slam-dunk motion? I can't see what you're on about there at all.

hellraiser_rob March 28, 2014 11:42 am

I kinda think you have to do that arc/slam dunk when you are going for the line one handed in greasy conditions to generate the force to keep the ball in your hand.

Phil mc avity March 29, 2014 6:47 pm

May is shite. I think i've said that before ;-) but why didn't he run towards the posts instead of doing that shit dive! I dont care if a player dives or not but first things first... Get as close to the posts as you can! He ran away from them. He never runs towards them.
And Mark Cueto I think is quite the gentleman, not at all a dirty player, he patted Burrell (northampton defender here) to say 'brilliant attempt' I think.

Guest March 27, 2014 9:34 am

Aah... Johnny May. Little bit of terrible defence and he looks almost decent. Apart, that is, from running towards touch to make it a more difficult kick with no defender inside him.

If a worse player has worn an England shirt in recent years I can't think who

Guest March 27, 2014 1:14 pm

See, Johnny May is SO bad I actually think Matt Banahan might be better than him.

AJ_Capote March 28, 2014 11:14 am

Not true, Banahan was atrocious.

Also, I raise you...Ayoola Erinle?

Guest March 28, 2014 5:24 pm

Ooh! Well played sir, I'd completely forgotten about him.

Btw, I agree Banahan was atrocious but I think 'atrocious' is still better than May. Vaguely remember Banahan running in the right direction when somebody put the ball in his hands.

The guvnor March 29, 2014 1:33 am

Nowell pushed him close all through the 6 nations. I can see how he has scored no tries for his club

Juggernauter March 29, 2014 3:23 am

Shontayne Hape must be on that list too...

45678 March 30, 2014 9:25 am

hape wasn't actually that bad in an England shirt. He had a solid if not flash partnership with tindall that was disrupted by forcing tuilagi into the side. Prior to that England were settled, were winning, defensively sound and the back 3 were scoring tries. Drinking culture aside, forcing tuilagi into the team was the biggest mistake Johnson made when in charge imho

Phil mc avity March 29, 2014 6:49 pm

I didn't see your comment. I totally agree, May is shite, even for England he runs sideways.

CambridgeshireKid March 31, 2014 11:41 pm

Big Lesley was pretty bad, but the winner has to be Alex "Bambie" Goode

Guest March 27, 2014 1:05 pm

Johnny May... What is it with English wingers being dickheads?

hellraiser_rob March 28, 2014 11:46 am

I don't think that one was too bad, Ashton however pisses me off big time, and i'm English. Why be such a muppet!

Phil mc avity March 29, 2014 6:51 pm

How's Nowell a dickhead?

Pete March 27, 2014 1:41 pm

I don't see the problem with Johnny May - apart from scoring a try he had good stats for the six nations. Why is he a "dickhead"? Is it because he dived over the tryline?

However, I'm not sure about Jack Nowell. Everytime he runs into a tackle he seems to either turnover the ball if he's in possession or gets smashed if he's not. I can't see him being picked once we have Yarde/Wade/Benjamin/Ashton all fit and in form.

hellraiser_rob March 28, 2014 11:44 am

I don't agree on the Nowell comment, he was always breaking tackles in the 6 nations, created a few tries.

macmurchu March 28, 2014 12:04 pm

I think there's a lot of arrogance involved in what he did. Breakthrough season, starting for the national team, all of a sudden he's swan diving like he's the world's best. A bit of hype in the English media about a player and he thinks he's god's gift. Very similar to Ashton... A lot to be said for a bit of humility I think.

45678 March 30, 2014 9:51 am

Have you watched s15 or SH provincial rugby? I'm not a fan of swan dives, but it seems that you are branded a dickhead / arrogant if you are English and do it, but it's perfectly acceptable otherwise

Phil mc avity March 29, 2014 6:53 pm

None of them can tackle! Wade smashed in Lions warm up, Ashton smashed every time, Yarde against Australia QBE.
Nowell is good in defence, bad technique above in the video, but he will learn, and still gave it a shot.

Kelvin March 27, 2014 3:55 pm

Johnny may is useless - he makes metres but side ways! A winger needs to know when to cut inside and when to run straight and make ground! He slows down before he gets tackled too.... why?!
this highlights everything wrong with him

Kelvin March 27, 2014 3:55 pm

this highlights everything wrong with him

Peter C March 27, 2014 5:49 pm

Got to be Logo. His run starts from the halfway line, just behind Goneva, tracks him all the way then explodes through!

FatProp March 27, 2014 6:10 pm

You do know that meters made is not counted laterally ? He is an interesting player and scores tries for fun at prem levelbut can he make the step up ? Also the worse player in recent years for England has to go to Vainkolo or Banahan, now they are useless

Facepalm March 28, 2014 1:18 pm

Jamie Noon England's worst ever player?! I think not.

Juggernauter March 29, 2014 3:24 am

Has to be Shontayne Hape.

Phil mc avity March 29, 2014 6:59 pm

Noon was brilliant in defence! He smashed Heymans which lead to a Paul Sackey try. That was such a good tackle! Hape was alright, Banahan done more pointing than playing rugby. Matt Stevens was a fat druggy.

It's nice to see people also think May is shit :-) Maybe England should try Eastmond or Tuilagi on the wing?

jimmy23 March 30, 2014 9:06 pm

Still got Watson to try out. I think once Miles Benjamin has had a bit more game time he should be given a go too, the man is a beast!