Saracens vs Western Province Highlights

Emotive Guinness ads with rugby legends

Tribute to MND victim Tinus Linee

Steven Luatua Quarterback Lineout throw

WIN the rugby tour of a lifetime with IG

In camp with Nick Cummins & the BaaBaas

Willem Alberts dancing alone in the gym

Nigel Owens makes not straight comment

Five nominees for World Player of 2014

Thursday, April 03, 2014

Rugby HQ's Top 5 Biggest Hitters in Super Rugby history

Obie April 03, 2014 2:10 pm

Do miss Jerry Collins in this section..

FatProp April 03, 2014 2:42 pm

I thought Burger could have been here

stroudos April 03, 2014 3:51 pm

Can't argue with Mau'u being number 1 on here. He has made some incredible hits. I love the last one where the guy almost looks like he's holding up the ball in surrender - "sod it mate, here you go, have the bloody thing!!"

DrG April 03, 2014 8:50 pm

Great selections and great video as usual.

I would actually love some input from any professional rugby medical staff on players putting other players into the recovery position... I doubt we'd get anything from the comment section, but I honestly think it might be something that needs to be addressed to the rugby community. Obviously we have 2 outcomes, the guy lying flat on his back out cold ends up with his airway blocked when he is not in the recovery position, or the guy with a neck injury gets it made worse by being put into the recovery position...

Badge April 04, 2014 6:28 pm

I always appreciate players looking out for each other and taking the time put somebody in the recovery position. However, I do feel it best to just let the medical staff handle anything related to an injured player. I'd rather be without air for a few seconds than be rolled with broken or cracked vertebrae.

iamaj8 April 03, 2014 10:43 pm

The man's got a point, Jerry Collins is a glaring miss!

Also thought The Chiropractor Lima had a rather underwhelming montage here, considering the legendary brutal nature of his game!

DaRabman April 03, 2014 11:23 pm

Not so sure about the 'sporting' gesture of putting your opponent in the recovery position.

Could easily be read as "Aw didn't mean to smash ya one bru! Here best make ya comfy for when the parries get here huehuehue"

If you're really concerned then best move in my opinion is to signal to the ref to stop play, or head over after the fact and apologise to him properly.

Jon April 04, 2014 6:36 am

His heart was in the right place.

CSpine April 05, 2014 12:27 am

On the medical front - please everyone playing do not put a player in the recovery position. Someone who has been trained can keep their airway open if needed without risking their neck, so I'd suggest leaving it to them.
I know people are trying to help but I can't help but think that with the 'good example' the professionals keep setting someone is going to end up getting seriously hurt.

Tweet April 05, 2014 10:14 am

One of Danie Rossouw, Willem Alberts or Bakkies Botha should have made the top 5, but as amusing as Rugby HQ's vids are, they always tend to focus on Oz and NZ players than Saffers.

vannrugby April 05, 2014 11:28 am

There are many players who could be in this list, but I would like to remember the greatest big hitter of all time. He never played in Super Rugby, but he was an outstanding 7's player and quite good at XV's as well. I'm talking of course about Viliame "The Stretcher" Satala!

katman April 06, 2014 9:47 pm

No Willem Alberts in that list?

PJ April 14, 2014 5:44 am