Rugby's first ever OWN TRY in NRC

Hala'ufia crunches then slaps Wilson

Lee Jones makes huge trysaving tackle

Richard Hibbard & Kalamafoni double hit

Danny Cipriani talks about past troubles

Nigel Owens makes not straight comment

Ben Flower red card for vicious punches

Ben Tameifuna massive fend on huge prop

All Blacks snatch victory at the death

Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Joe Marler questions referee Andrew Small's choice of footwear

Along with Nick Cummins, Joe Marler is probably the most amusing rugby player (that the public have access to) on the planet these days. He's a fascinating character, loves the banter, and clearly isn't afraid to take the mickey out of the referee during the match.

If you've watched any of the O2 Inside Line episodes of behind the scenes England camp clips you'll more than likely agree that Marler needs to get in front of the camera more. As with James Haskell and the Honey Badger, something funny always seems to happen.

Professional sport needs these characters and thanks to social media and the increased presence of official team video uploads, we're now exposed to the complex minds of these great athletes.

In this case Marler gave referee Andrew Small a bit of stick for wearing white boots, and rightly so.

Great work from our man Nick Heath on the commentry too.

Posted at 9:45 am | 15 comments

Nick Cummins gives another great interview after Force win

Nick Cummins gives best post match interview ever

Joe Marler smashes big wing George North

Nick Cummins interviews Wallaby players after Wales win

Honey Badger smashes Nick Reily in the Shute Shield

Rob Vickers cited following yellow card punch on Joe Marler

Joe Marler and Marcos Ayerza both banned for two weeks

Posted in Funnies, See it to Believe it

stroudos April 02, 2014 7:22 pm

@RD - great work and write-up as always, but I'm afraid you may have over-egged it a bit in applying the phrase "complex minds" to Messrs Marler, Haskell and Badger........

Anyone know who Sean Davey is? Is that another ref?

stroudos April 03, 2014 3:33 pm

Oh him! That hanky one was priceless.

DrG April 02, 2014 9:00 pm

It's kind of funny, but I feel a bit sorry for the referee... I mean what if he saw those boots and thought, 'yeah, I quite like those' then Marler comes along with a comment like that... Might make the referee feel a bit small.

Very well picked up and I appreciate you sharing it RD.

stroudos April 03, 2014 3:34 pm

A bit Andrew Small

Pipo April 02, 2014 11:40 pm

What's wrong with wearing white boots? It's not like if they were neon yellow and pink.

DrG April 03, 2014 12:42 am

I'm not going to lie, if I was quick I'd wear neon yellow or pink boots... sadly as a second row/back row I'm not QUITE fast enough to pull them off...

Well, either that or I'll try and gain another 10kg's of pure muscle and then I can carry them off..

finedisregard April 03, 2014 10:30 pm

Forwards should wear any color boots they like, as long as they're black. Backs are barely rugby players who cares what they wear?

dodgyshapedballs April 03, 2014 5:20 pm

Sean Davey was sponsored for charity a couple of seasons ago - by pupils at the school where he teaches IIRC - to wear white boots for the season. It was then in turn backed by the RFU because of its charitable nature.

Kiddie April 04, 2014 4:07 am

Great comeback by Small though! "I paid for mine".

Ron_Mexico April 06, 2014 8:41 am

In the end this is rather ironic, isn't it?
Joe Marler, who has sported some completely outrageous "haircuts" over the last years, banters the ref about white shoes, really?
Makes me scratch my head a little

larry April 06, 2014 2:23 pm

I question the whole kit of rugby in the recent past and now. Polyester super-tight shirts with no collars? No long sleeves? Polyester shorts with no pockets? Time for rugby to do what baseball in America did in the 90's, when they got rid of the ugly non-traditional shirts of the 70's and 80's and went back to real baseball jerseys. They are polyester, but they look old school flannels.
Time to go back to cotton shirts and shorts, or cotton-poly blends, at least poly shirts like the British Lions last tour, and the shoes: black please! There's no reason for rugby to try to look like soccer. And it wouldn't make a bit of difference in style of play, but would surely look better than the ugly kit I see worn these days!

DrG April 06, 2014 11:02 pm

Not a fan of long sleeves or cotton shirts. I always rolled up the sleeves on my school rugby shirts (less to grab hold of and I have gorilla arms so the sleeves are never long enough) and cotton soaks water like a sponge.

Cotton shorts are fine, I remember playing a game where one of our props was boasting about his new poly shorts which turned out to be the most pathetic thing to bind onto in the scrum, end up pulling them down most of the time (because they're so stretchy), so cottons great there.

As for boots, I think they honestly make fast people faster... I just need extra speed or extra weight and I'll don a pair of neon or pink boots :D

aidy668 April 10, 2014 4:44 pm

the super tight shirts are that way for a practical reason not just "fashion"; It was actually Clive Woodward when he was England coach who sparked the whole thing, he noticed in one England game that the only reason one of the team got tackled was that the opposition managed to get hold of a loose piece of the players shirt as he ran past and he clung onto it and stopped the player from scoring a certain try. He got in touch with the then kit suppliers Nike and they came up with the really tight fitting shirt to avoid this again. Soon after pretty much every country/club followed suit. with a lot of other things like boot colour it is a fashion choice but not with the shirts. At my old club back in the day we only ever got long sleeve shirts but we always cut the sleeves off anyway so may as well given us short sleeved to start with! haha