Brian O'Driscoll Breakdown Masterclass

Why you should always tackle low

Ben Funnell slamming tackle on Hawkins

Springboks edge All Blacks in thriller

Streaker starts mass brawl after tackle

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Southland sensational try after big bump

Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Ludovic Mercier crazy reverse pass

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Midweek Madness - Player falls to floor after worst fight ever

This hilarious incident happened at the 3rd Annual TMO Marist American Samoa 7's in American Samoa, between villages Vaiala and Vailele. As you can see, tensions sparked a quick exchange between two players, with neither one landing a clean shot.

That didn't stop Simaika Mikaele, as he fell to the floor dramatically then rolled around to get the opposition player in trouble. Sadly for him referee James Bolabiu was right on hand, and thankfully took the whole incident with a pinch of salt, laughing it off along with the rest of the players.

We don't know at what point Mikaele realised he looked ridiculous so played it up, but either way it shows just how crazy it is when players feign injury or dive to the floor when they clearly haven't actually been injured, and there has been no contact made.

Mikaele used to play Sevens for Samoa, and can actually be seen making a massive hit at the Hong Kong Sevens against New Zealand about four years ago in this archived clip.

He won't be too proud of what happened here though, unless it was all a joke from the start. The match looked to be played in good spirits anyway, so maybe he'll get away with it.

UPDATE: As stated by some of the comments below, and a few messages we've received, this was actually the Cup Semi Final in American Samoa, at the 3rd Annual TMO Marist American Samoa 7's.

Both teams fielded current or former Samoa players, but the match was played in good spirits and the altercation was light hearted.

Oneone Faafou is the name of the other player involved here (also a Samoan Sevens player), and according to all sources, Simaika Mikaele was actually joking the whole time, and the crowd loved it. Also, credit and thanks to samoanews.com who uploaded the video.

Posted at 11:28 am | 48 comments

Simaika Mikaele huge hit at the Hong Kong Sevens

Tom James suspended for headbutt on Olivier Azam

Posted in Funnies, See it to Believe it

Martijn April 23, 2014 1:18 pm

if he'd played football the opposition would've been send off...

Guy April 23, 2014 1:41 pm

If he'd played football he would have been stretchered off.

DanKnapp April 23, 2014 1:22 pm

I have no idea what to make of this... If that really was a dive, rather than just messing around from the very beginning, then he should have been sent from the field. Just bizarre. I'm glad the crowd were laughing at him, but I hope it was meant to be a joke from the very beginning.

Norths Nutjob April 23, 2014 1:42 pm

Is so obviously taking the piss . Is brilliant .

Samoan Teine April 23, 2014 1:58 pm

It is typical Samoan humour. Hence the response from the crowd. Simaika has been known to be quite comical off the field.

finedisregard April 23, 2014 2:21 pm

He wasn't joking, he was trying to draw a foul. I'm glad that the ref and crowd laughed at him. If the ref making the call had a bad angle and no tv somebody could have been sent off.

When there is a zero tolerance policy towards striking the most beneficial thing to do is when you are hit is to act as you are injured when you are not (same thing for contact in the air).

Be careful out there rugby friends. The culture of our game is changing very rapidly.

bahmos April 23, 2014 5:33 pm

culture of rugby changing in samoa ? sure ....

finedisregard April 24, 2014 1:09 pm

Well I guess the joke is on me. I can't tell the difference between someone flopping for a ref when they get slapped then trying to play it off and Samoan humor.

Now my question is are Lebron James and Cristiano Ronaldo purveyors of Samoan humor too? They go down for much less than this!

SAMOAN THAI April 24, 2014 4:03 pm

obviously lebron and ronaldo aren't samoan...so to answer your question....no they aren't...this is just typical island humor...a tongan, a fijian a bloody kiwi or aussie could tell the difference...

DrG April 24, 2014 6:11 pm

If this was actually 100% all done in a joke then I am all for it, but you 'islanders' can hardly be surprised that the rest of us initially (or still do) doubt your 'typical island humour' considering this is probably the first example of this 'humour' we have ever seen from a nation which has had an international rugby team for almost 90 years... I mean it's hardly 'typical' as far as the rest of the world is concerned, so there is really know need for all these shocked reaction comments from yourselves (Samoans and other 'islanders')

... I noticed you mentioned that 'Bloody Kiwis' could tell the difference, which hints at it being a kiwi trait also... This, I highly doubt, basing it purely on the likes of Jimmy Cowan - a New Zealander - who I seriously doubt feigned injuries after incidents with other players purely for the shits and giggles..

Benny April 28, 2014 2:04 pm

Keep in mind that it's not international rugby but two villages. It is classic islander humour that you see plenty of during more casual games.

I'm guessing the "bloody kiwi or aussie" (i'm one of them) point meant that even though we're not islanders (although technically we are), we can spot islander humour when we see it.

DrG April 28, 2014 9:44 pm

I do get that, but the point is, to go up in arms about how people have misinterpreted something that could be considered very localised is a bit daft.

I've in the past had the pleasures of visiting many different 'local' teams clubhouses after a game and participated in their different 'after game drinking rituals', point being, although it is local to them/you/others, at the time it was not local and therefore unknown to myself/my team/other..others...

samoan rugby player April 23, 2014 2:40 pm

Just enjoy the humor your ruining the joke you goose

Eddie-g April 23, 2014 2:57 pm

I reckon he's taking the mick. He's looking at the ref pretty much the whole time, and it is completely over the top in parts. I also like the idea of someone faking someone faking an injury... are Samoans into that sort of meta humour?

DanKnapp April 23, 2014 3:54 pm

I've watched it back, and I'm thinking you're right.

Samoan Teine April 23, 2014 10:34 pm

You're spot on. It's Samoan humour. The two teams are local and know each other well. Hence the laughs from both sides. Hardly warrants some comments from others about changing rugby culture. Samoans are as serious about our rugby as the next 1st tier nation. We are just able to make light of situations and have a laugh at ourselves :)

DanKnapp April 24, 2014 8:49 am

Nobody doubts Samoan culture - arguably one of the most powerful identities in World rugby - but it wasn't immediately obvious to me if it was a joke or not. I shall hang my head in shame at my sense of humour fail...

Guy April 24, 2014 10:10 am

Actually Dan, I had to watch the video twice because at first I had difficulty believing what I saw. Only when I started taking notice of the reaction of the crowd I was completely sure that he was taking a piss. That crowd would have reacted quite differently otherwise.

To make a long story even longer by adding another sentence: I can understand your (and my own) confusion.

DrG April 24, 2014 12:43 pm

The only thing is, you cannot rely on a crowd reaction to = the right judgement. Look at things like previous England v France internationals (In France where the crowd get very involved) where there has been a TMO decision and the video clearly shows it to be a no try, the crowd still boo.

Although the crowd might be laughing, the referee might be laughing and even the other players, there is no guarantees that Mikaele didn't genuinely attempt to get a penalty from the situation..

SAMOAN THAI April 24, 2014 4:38 pm

unless they're Samoan bro...or from any other island...we might seem to have bad intentions...but thats our weird sense of humor...just sayin

blindside April 23, 2014 4:30 pm

for people taking this seriously, chill out. hes obviously joking around. Can people not enjoy some humour in their lives?

DrG April 23, 2014 11:55 pm

Evidently not, especially if they don't feel that they're in on the joke... Someone tells me this is a joke and yeh, I'll join in by pissing my pants. Someone tells me this is serious and I'll shit myself in anger - Either way I won't get it unless I'm informed and I obviously have some digestive/urinary disorder...

DanKnapp April 24, 2014 8:50 am

I've got around that particular dilemma by doing both every time I go on a forum.

nzbougnat April 24, 2014 9:56 am

Hence the beauty of smartphones/tablets and wifi at home in the toilets (I am obviously the only deranged soul doing this...)

Eddie-g April 24, 2014 2:04 pm

No you aren't...

nzbougnat April 24, 2014 9:50 pm

Thanks Eddie. I figured that much. :-)

DanKnapp April 27, 2014 6:57 pm

I'm going to be honest, if I'm browsing my internet in the toilet, it's not reading Rugbydump.

vicente April 23, 2014 4:49 pm

rugby seven...

Joao neves April 23, 2014 6:04 pm

I live in Portugal where footbal rules! if this had happen in Europe the "agressor" would had been send off with a red card. Fortunatelly, this is Rugby!!!! A Man sport!!!

nzbougnat April 23, 2014 7:22 pm

Far too hilarious to be a disgrace. Love it.

Coconut April 23, 2014 8:35 pm

Samoan humor at its best. You people who think this is serious, it isn't! Don't be quick to judge as you aren't Samoan and you don't know Samoan humor. He's just taking the piss and having fun. I personally know Simaika and the other 7s boys. They're all comedians

Eddie-g April 23, 2014 9:31 pm

So I guess we have a consensus now... Samoan sevens guy pretends to be player faking an injury, and pre-eminent rugby blog believes he was really play-acting.

Top work, Simaika.

DanKnapp April 24, 2014 8:59 am

Can we get him banned for causing injury to the head?

Eddie-g April 24, 2014 3:02 pm

Rugbydump caused the injury, need to be referred to the citing commissioner

Rugbydump April 24, 2014 4:54 pm

Still not 100% convinced that the very first swat and face clutching was a joke, but it's great to hear all the feedback and satisfied to know that - according to some of you guys anyway - we got this one wrong.

DanKnapp April 27, 2014 6:58 pm

Will you be referring yourself to OFCOM or should we do it for you?

DrG April 23, 2014 10:40 pm

The shirt clash was far worse than the incident lol.. Glad to hear it's Samoa humour.

Ashamedrugbydumpfan April 24, 2014 9:45 am

Come on rugbydump. Now you understand that this is a joke, please rephrase the description and title of this video... Clearly a player making light of a silly situation that could have been on the brink of a scrap, with everyone around him laughing... you're doing the guy a serious injustice.

nzbougnat April 24, 2014 10:00 am

Nah. I say let people guess . And read the comments. In fact, I find that reading the comments, for better or worse admittedly, adds value to a great vid!

Go the Manu April 24, 2014 2:36 pm

Everyone at home (Samoa) knows Simaika Mikaele. He was one of Samoas best at 7s. When we're serious, we hit as what we're renounced for.

Ref Bolabiu from Fiji knows Simaika really well. The crowd plus the players themselves from both teams laughed about it.

This was village 7s in our own shores. not super rugby, not international and its not even televised live anywhere. someone just video it, n put it on youtube, then us samoans post on fb and laugh at it. somehow it has been picked up by various media and misinterepted it.

SitYoAssDown April 24, 2014 9:39 pm

Holy shit, its funny how people are so serious and making it sound like they're getting their feelings hurt over this video hahaha Its a fucking JOKE! it's our island humor, making light of a situation that could've escalated into a something serious. Sorry we all cant be serious all the time like that one bloke in the earlier comments mentioned. Sorry for our island sense of humor. I mean, even Simaika (the player) is grinning as he sits up. Stop trying to study or over analyze this like theres something more to it, it's a fucking JOKE.. geez. So SIT YO DUMB ASSES DOWN and enjoy the video.. Sheesh

DrG April 24, 2014 10:42 pm

Hardly over analysing, more just going on the video evidence at hand.. None of us are inside Mikaele's noggin, so none of us are in a perfect position to say what he thought, but it's easy to see a player take a swipe then another player hit the deck..

RD already provided the link but here it is again - http://www.rugbydump.com/2009/01/801/tom-james-suspended-for-headbutt-on-olivier-azam is this just a joke too that perhaps the referee didn't get either? Or are we over analysing that too?

For the record, pathetic insults are more common on Youtube than RD (Fortunately).

db April 24, 2014 10:20 pm

I guess this is all firmly tonga in cheek.

Badge April 25, 2014 3:46 am

Its a joke guys, and a pretty funny one if you ask me. We've all seen videos of rugby fights involving the Island nations, and they definitely don't go like this.

Samoa News April 25, 2014 9:36 am

would appreciate if you could take this video down and link from the video's rightful owner www.samoanews.com Please give credit where credit is due and maybe then the right answers to all the questions could be obtained as the owners of the video would have a better idea as to what the situation was. Joke or attempt at a foul?

Traveller April 26, 2014 6:17 am

Hahaha. Anyone who has been to a local rugby match in Samoa will know about this type of humor. Seated in the crowds you get to experience the full spectrum of Samoan culture during a rugby match. There is normally a couple of "funny guys" in the crowd who plays the jester, leads cheers and sometimes provide a running commentary on things. "Fale aitu" is Samoan comedy and slapstick is featured heavily. -That is exactly what this is. Simaika is playing to the crowd just as much as he is taking the piss. The fact that a little guy is taking swings at a bigger forward is funny. The over-reaction of the bigger player is hilarious to Samoans who all love a good fair physical matchup.

Charmenace April 27, 2014 5:52 am

I love the idea of taking th piss out of someone's poor punch. By hamming it up so much he's reminding the guy that his punch was weak! Reminds me of when an opponent bought me a glass of wine after a game. We had had a bit of a push and shove and he said I punched like a girl! I thought it was very funny!