England beat Baby Boks in JWC2014 final

Toulon do the double with Top 14 win

5 Biggest Hits of the Premiership season

Tony Brown takes big hit from Pakalani

Ma'afu banned for punch on Tom Youngs

Dafydd Howells scores quickest try ever?

Johan Goosen huge drop goal on debut

Learn more about incomparable Brad Thorn

George Pisi hit makes Shane Geraghty ill

Monday, May 12, 2014

Niko Matawalu beats Stuart Hogg in footrace to deny him a hat-trick

Glasgow Warriors secured their RaboDirect PRO12 home semi-final in style with a 54-0 thrashing of Zebre on Saturday. There was an amusing moment in the first half when two players from the same side competed against one another to score a try.

It was Glasgow's eigth win in a row, setting up a semi-final meeting with Munster this coming Friday night. They scored five tries after just 22 minutes, ending the first half at 40-0.

Stuart Hogg, who made his first appearance at Scotstoun in seven matches, started the game well as he crossed for a well worked try just 45 seconds into the match.

The bonus point was secured after twenty minutes and Hogg scored his second of the match.

On a hat-trick, the 21-year-old British & Irish Lions back had a chance at picking up his third before halftime, but was thwarted by speedster Niko Matawalu, who refused to give up the footrace despite Hogg remonstrating for him to leave it alone.

It was a bizarre, albeit amusing situation as the dynamic Fijian got his fingertips to the ball first, denying Hogg the honour of a hat-trick. He didn't look as amused as the 5000 fans on hand.

Matawalu scored again later in the match, adding the Warriors' eighth try on a night that will have given them great confidence going into the playoff game against the more challenging Munster side.

Should Matawalu have left it for Hogg, or do you think he was worried that the Scotland fullback wouldn't get there, or he simply didn't hear or see him?

- View Highlights wrap (page two)

Page: 123View All

Fiji's two sensational tries in victorious Pacific Nations Cup

Posted in See it to Believe it

joe May 12, 2014 1:59 pm

hogg seems to be awful sour in most matches anyway so delighted it got robbed of him

Jonny May 14, 2014 9:46 pm

He's Scottish - we're sour for most of the year, pal.

WRPT14 May 12, 2014 2:02 pm

Should have left it. Matawalu was right to chase to the end but didn't need to dive for it - the ball was practically stationary and they were effectively running side-by-side.

stroudos May 12, 2014 2:04 pm

That's hilarious, what a bastard! Looked like it was done in the name of banter to me, but Hogg looked like he was fuming though - wonder if there's some subtext/previous involved??
Nearly backfired though didn't it - how close was he to "splitting his heid" on the metal bar behind that loose ad hoarding?

cheyanqui May 12, 2014 2:13 pm

Hogg to him to suck it...

kefaloskev May 12, 2014 2:22 pm

Knowing the Scottish reputation for being "parsimonious" he was doing Hogg a favour. Would have cost him a jug for a hat trick but this way he can't even be done for jug avoidance!!

MattyJ May 12, 2014 2:29 pm

bit unfair since hogg did all the work plus who doesn't want a hatrick

daluaine May 12, 2014 2:30 pm

Surely Hogg's ball? He kicked it ahead and there was no opposition. I think if it was me I would have picked Matawalu up and rammed him into the hoardings again!! Mind you, I did play prop so would have already been back on the halfway line waiting for the kick-off!!

tphillipsstl May 12, 2014 3:21 pm

did no media ask them about this after the match? If something like this would have happened in any sport in the US reporters would be all over both of them in the post-game. Is there no q&a with the players following the match?

Full Back May 12, 2014 3:47 pm

seemingly no hard feelings, was surely some bet going on or something, but what a wanker all the same...is there anything worse than a poacher?

Full Back May 12, 2014 3:44 pm

What a wanker!

Full Back May 12, 2014 3:52 pm

anyone else think the centre lost the ball before the line for the 5th try???

ollie May 12, 2014 4:44 pm

Serves him right for hogging all the tries...

Ronan May 12, 2014 5:11 pm

bold bold bold boy...
should have left it....
tut tut tut..

Gonzoman May 12, 2014 5:35 pm

Nah, if I were chasing a ball and one of my mates tried to wave me off because he wanted a hat trick I'd score, then tell him he should have been faster. By the same token, if I was running in untouched and a mate was beside me calling for the ball so he could complete his hat trick you can bet your britches I'd hold on to the ball and score myself.

stroudos May 12, 2014 7:30 pm

Ha ha! Spot on mate!!

Unless of course your team enforces jug purchases for hat-trick scorers...

10stonenumber10 May 12, 2014 6:47 pm

Hogg got enough of a payout from touring with the Lions as well as the Scotland caps. Let the 'unknown' man pick up a try scoring bonus. I'm not a Hogg-hater by any stretch, but he seems to think he is the only attacking threat in whatever match day 23 he is making up numbers in.

And to be fair, ears pinned back, you could be mistaken for thinking it is a defender sledging... like doing an impression of the oppo pack leader and calling "break" at the scrum before the 8 has it...

Or my favourite... ask the oppo hooker who his favourite singer/band is. Playing 9, I made it my duty to sing the back catalogue as badly as i could when it came to their Lineout ball. Nothing muffles a move called like strangled cat warblings.

Call it Karma for being a petulant shoulder charging child during the 6N. Touring with the Lions means f*ck all on a muddy day's rugby up Scotstoun.

stroudos May 12, 2014 7:33 pm

Excellent rant, pissing myself laughing! Not sure you can legitimately claim to be "not a Hogg-hater" though......

10stonenumber10 May 12, 2014 8:04 pm

I might actually register to post on here... would make things a little easier!

It is nothing personal against Hogg. I'm sure he is an alright bloke, I'm only going on what has been broadcast so far, he seems to me though like a Dylan Armitage sort of player, albeit with the violence watered down a bit.

Both are just under International standard (what other national team could Hogg realistically be in the mix?), Occasional flashes of brilliance, but ruined slightly by thoughtless actions and emotion in the moment. All 6N Hogg was shouting AT his players, not TO them, any mistake he was the first to turn and try to point blame, even if it was his own doing.

One season of "shut up and know your place" treatment when he acts like a teenager will bring his ego back to a human level. He could be a very good player if he learns the 15 on his back means 1/15th, not trying to carry the whole team when you can just about hold your own game together. He might have had to do it for every team in age grade until he signed a 1st team contract, but he is in the top flight now, where apart from "The Chosen One" Sergio Parisse, it takes more than one man to carry a team.

Superiority complexes belong in Parliament, not on the paddock. I don't like playing with players who feel and act like it is their duty to "carry a team". In everyone else's book, that is ball-Hogging selfishness, if you excuse the pun.

You're right, maybe I am a Hogg hater. He got off fairly lightly though, don't ever get me started on Chris Paterson though.

DrG May 12, 2014 9:18 pm

In all fairness to Hogg, he probably is the only attacking player out of a 23 man squad 90% of the time..

10stonenumber10 May 12, 2014 9:33 pm

Scotland doesn't have the talent depth (or weather) to develop a player like him. It is my personal opinion that he tries to take on too much, spreads himself far too thin. He won't progress as a player until he is around people who can put him in space.

It is easier to perform as the "Tail of the Tiger" than as the "Head of the Dog". I think that is a chinese proverb. Maybe Mystic Meg. Whoever it is, I think I know what they are on about, even if I don't.

Foxy May 13, 2014 11:33 am

To be honest with you if you watch Glasgow play regularly they don't play through Hogg very often at all. There are other players who have a greater impact on the match. Recently for Scotland it has seemed like a lot has been pinned on the shoulders of him. Maybe that's more to do with Scott Johnson's (complete lack of) tactical skills.

10stonenumber10 May 12, 2014 8:20 pm

*Delon. Though Dylan Hartley also falls into that bracket.

Hogg isn't a thug though. Hartley has the size, Armitage has the reach, both have nasty tempers.

On the subject of Furious Fifteens, Mike Brown sorted his madness. No more silly fights and anger, he just internalises the rage, goes Super Saiyan and rips apart defences like the last wing in the KFC bucket.

Eddie-g May 12, 2014 8:48 pm

I'd pay to hear the Honey Badger's take on this.

DanKnapp May 13, 2014 11:26 am

Fair dinkum to the other fella. He's put in a fair bit of dodge and shirk for that piece of meat, and if Hogg didn't have the ham and eggs to get there first then fair play. They're still mates at the end of the day, just two blokes having a bloody good ding-dong and nothing a couple of tinnies in the near and far after the game wouldn't fix. Jeez-Louise, if someone tried that on me I'd have to give him a big old German band, fair play to 'im.

DrG May 12, 2014 9:21 pm

I think in the heat of the moment one could forgive Hogg for being mildly pissed off. I know we play a team sport, but sometimes you think it's nice to get your name on the score sheet as a result of your efforts etc. I had a similar situation where I hit a player hard on a kick off, he spilled the ball, I hacked it on and had to beat my own team mate in a footrace to the ball as it sat nicely over the try line - Fortunately I had the legs, but at the time I was thinking, 'you cheeky git, that was MY try and you know it' afterwards I could see he was just trying to make sure the ball got dotted down whether it was him or me that did it.

Guest May 13, 2014 4:08 am

Niko Matawalu is just a greedy player, watch a full warriors game and count how many attempts he takes close to the line. Granted he is a talented player with great running skills but given his history this doesn't surprise me in the least... selfish

Canadian content May 13, 2014 9:42 pm

In fairness to niko, I think he thought the ball might cross the dead ball line. Someone mentioned Hogg did the work, deserved the try. I disagree, niko ran just as far, maybe further. Understand Hoggs reaction but it's still disappointing, not really the team ethos

DrG May 15, 2014 12:36 am

So if I dawdle up the field to the 5 metre line with my team doing the work, where they continue to knock on the oppo door, would it be fair to say that if I sprint back to the half way line (bear in mind I'm a second row/back row) and in this scenario I have done nothing so far) and then back to the ruck again that I deserve the try because I have run further than anyone else? Even though I was not part of the effort to get to the try line in the first place?

I mean granted, Hogg just fly hacked the ball on, so he didn't make the biggest effort (I think the first time I viewed it, I incorrectly thought HE was the one that kicked the ball through the first time as well!!!) but he perhaps did a BIT more than Niko...

Believer May 14, 2014 10:22 pm

@Rugbydump

Seen a lot of places saying they've never seen this happen before. I am 99% certain I saw this happen in a Barbarians vs Australia game a number of years ago. Can't remember the year, but I do recall it was played at the Millenium Stadium and finished 49-35 to Oz. The try in question was scored by Pat Lam (can't remember who the other player was though. But you should check it out and compare!

I'm definitely on team Niko here! I was desperate fro him to get his hat-trick in the dying minutes just to P Hogg off even more! :P

Also, whoever mentioned about Dunbar losing the ball before the line, I totally agree. I was sat in the end stand where he scored and said that at the time. Find it dificult to believe nobody else mentioned it either at the time or since, but I definitely don't think it was gounded, and I'm a Glasgow (and big Dunbar) fan!