Step and unbelievable dummy sets up try

Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

Cheslin Kolbe dazzling run, no look pass

Biggest Hits in World Rugby in August

Ben Funnell slamming tackle on Hawkins

Learn more about incomparable Brad Thorn

Brian O'Driscoll Breakdown Masterclass

One Year to Go 'til Rugby World Cup 2015

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

135kg Schoolboy Prop Taniela Tupou scores Hat-trick

A 135kg (at least) schoolboy prop scored a hat-trick of tries in a match between Sacred Heart College and Kelston Boys at the weekend. Known as the Tongan Thor, Taniela Tupou celebrated his 18th birthday in style by running in three great tries.

With unbelievable acceleration and balance for someone his size, the Auckland schoolboy showed that he also has a strong fend and can throw a pretty mean dummy. If he hasn't already caught the attention of Super Rugby selectors, this is sure to do it.

If anyone has any more info on the big guy, where he's at in terms of career progress etc, please drop us an email or leave a comment below. Thanks

Posted in Amateur, See it to Believe it

DrG May 13, 2014 8:14 pm

Bloody big guy, obviously carrying a bit of unnecessary weight and as he progress no doubt he'll turn that into pure muscle, but right now it seems like a something that can easily be ignored when you consider his pace, handling skills and footwork...

ATW May 13, 2014 8:17 pm

Watch the European Clubs and League Clubs NRL start circling like vultures.

Canadian content May 13, 2014 10:20 pm

Agreed, likely American college football and the nfl too. It's used too much but this kid is freakishly gifted. Screw prop, could he play 12?

10stonenumber10 May 13, 2014 8:44 pm

New Zealand really was the right place to set Middle-Earth, there must be some deep sorcery afoot for someone that age and size to move like that.

Either that, or the NZRU have successfully managed to isolate the Freak gene from Caucaunibuca.

If his scrummaging isn't up to scratch he will probably go to the NRL.

135kg... over 21st... 2 of me + crate of beer, and he is still heavier.

jimmy23 May 13, 2014 8:53 pm

But... but... HOW?!

Thor May 13, 2014 10:35 pm

Damn. Fair play to him, that's some serious pace for a guy of his stature. I'm a hooker and just under 100kg and I would love to be able to do that haha.

Mat May 14, 2014 12:01 am

Great sklills but if I was the opposing coach I would be tellling my boys to not fall for the dummy, when a player is twice the size of their opponent they usually take on the defensive line rather than pass.

CEO Front Row Union May 14, 2014 2:32 am

Unless the front rower has run more than 20 meters

Hemi May 14, 2014 2:35 am

I'd be buying that dummy every time, even if he didn't throw one.

DanKnapp May 14, 2014 6:12 am

And Hemi wins RD for today.

CEO Front Row Union May 14, 2014 2:30 am

All front rowers have that ability ...
but we just don't want to show up those malnutritioned backs.

But then again I'm biased against anyone wearing a number higher than 3

CEO Front Row Union May 14, 2014 2:46 am

Also I remember this from the other day ...

Prop Logovi'i Mulipola's big charge flattens Sales Sharks hooker

10stonenumber10 May 09, 2014 11:38 am
Men like him are the reason I stick to 7s. Soaking wet, he is still over double my weight. Take on a front row when you weigh the same as a tackle bag = suicide. Going for the bootlaces = trampling and dragged behind a galloping horse holding onto an ankle like in the Old West.

Thanks Logovi, I'll happily 'show you the outside' and magically 'lose my footing' while the back row peel off round the corner to save my life. I've got very good at the 'punch the ground angry disappointed missed tackle face', even the coach believes it nowadays.

10stonenumber10 May 14, 2014 10:13 am

You've got to pick your battles.

They might bosh me into the middle of next week on the field... but I fit tour bus seats perfectly and "Small" sized stash never gets borrowed or stolen.

Well, that is what I try to tell myself when i'm picking up the pieces of my ribcage from the floor after the last hit.

finedisregard May 14, 2014 4:11 am

These are the guys I like!

Rugby has taught me many lessons, one of the foremost is that great athletes come in all shapes and sizes. I like the big props, short halfbacks, and slight wingers.

Sauron May 14, 2014 5:19 am

That's one fast Urukhai

joshnz May 14, 2014 10:44 am

Theres more of him out here. Last year i played against 16 year olds his size and speed and skill and that was in a grade below his school (1B) There's always schools picking up new players from lower grade schools and turning them into All Blacks.Nothing new to be honest , but nevertheless proud to be a kiwi

Guest May 14, 2014 10:18 pm

Until I see him scrummage I don't care how fast he is! Try doing that after spending half the game with your nose two inches from the floor and having to breathe through your rear end.

Saying that, if he can scrummage.. Sh!t@

DrG May 15, 2014 12:24 am

Probably difficult to say regarding his scrummaging. Most of the time at school level, someone weighing in at 135kg wouldn't require much in the way of technique and would probably easily dominate a skilled opponent of a much lighter 'school boy' weight.

Until he gets to the big boy games where he might come up against a lighter prop (say 110kg) with great technique we won't necessarily know. I'd imagine if he didn't have a good technique then it wouldn't be long until he grasped one!

dave May 15, 2014 1:57 am

beware...
if nfl scouts see something like this they`d swarm
and I wouldn`t put it past the kid to go for it
he`d make 2-3 times as much as the richest rugby players

10stonenumber10 May 15, 2014 11:05 am

I heard a random fact somewhere on NFL coverage... if you have polynesian heritage, you are something like 130% more likely to be drafted into the NFL than an American with the same stats

dave May 20, 2014 2:50 am

I have a quote from an nfl article, it suggests to me that its more american somoans have that chance but all polynesians have great power/size genetics for gridiron

"KAPOLEI, Hawaii -- Think about it: In the last five years, 15 percent of boys playing football for the Samoa Island's six high schools have earned football scholarships from American universities, according to a recent Washington Post report.

Now think about this: It has been estimated that a Samoan boy is 40 times more likely to reach the NFL than a boy growing up in the United States."

truth May 15, 2014 2:22 pm

He isn't a kilo over 115. No way.
Not taking anything away from his work there (or those quads) but he is not 135kg.

dave May 20, 2014 2:58 am

depends on how tall he is
on one of those runs it appears he dwarfs the other teams no 8 in stature and mass
and another thing to take note of is that the highschool rugby in new zealand is hugely competitive,
a lot of these big forwards are exactly that, BIG FORWARDS, and he is especially big out there

polypower May 18, 2014 4:17 am

Go toko, reveal to the world that you have the "Spark to become a Roaring blaze" (Gus D,amato)