Jebb Sinclair red card for leading elbow

Closing montage from Heineken Cup final

Toulon do the double with Top 14 win

Japanese player loses ball over tryline

Jason Rutledge's great tryline defence

Ma'afu banned for punch on Tom Youngs

The Top 5 French Flair moments

The Top 5 'Big Boppers' in World Rugby

Huge hit by Tonga in Pacific Nations Cup

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Bryan Habana issues apology for taking a dive in Heineken Cup Final

Toulon winger Bryan Habana has issued a public apology for what can only be described as a football-like dive in yesterday's Heineken Cup final. This evening he took to twitter in an attempt to smooth over the incident, and issued a public apology.

The 95 times capped Springbok winger has reached the peak of the game due in part to his incredibly competitive nature and high workrate. Unfortunately in recent times (on more than one occasion) it appears that he's going a bit far, milking small knocks for all they're worth.

Against Saracens he didn't get much ball so was probably quite frustrated. Off turnover ball he set off in typical fashion, but a chip and chase resulted in a slight bit of contact from Owen Farrell, and Habana went down, theatrically, as noted by Top 14 commentator Martin Gillingham.

He might have got the penalty anyway, but he flung his body back in a way that should never be seen on the rugby field. Saracens captain Steve Borthwick could be heard shouting 'Embarrassing, embarrassing' in Habana's direction, and referee Alain Rolland had a word with him.

So this evening, Habana manned up and took full responsibility for his actions, apologising.

"So before anything.. Apologies in every way and to the whole community for happened in the Heineken Cup final yesterday... It was in no way intended with malice or to bring the game into disrepute. Sportsmanship and integrity are key factors to what makes rugby so special and I let myself, the fans, our opponents and the game down. Hopefully it didn't take away from what was a fantastic spectacle and even more so a special victory for @RCTOfficiel."

Fair play to him. He's been at the highest level for ten years now and with this weekend's win he's joined an exclusive club of players to have won pretty much everything - Currie Cup, Super Rugby, British & Irish Lions, Tri Nations, World Cup and now, the Heineken Cup.

And next weekend, possibly the Top 14 too. But diving, that can't happen again.

Page: 12View All

Toulon defend Heineken Cup title with win over Saracens

Digby Ioane manhandles Bryan Habana in tense Top 14 clash

Damien Traille takes a dive and gets player sinbinned

The Top 5 Swan Dives of all time

Bryan Habana awarded IRPA Try of the Year 2012

Radike Samo's big hit on Bryan Habana in RWC Quarter Final

Posted in See it to Believe it

HeavyHooker May 25, 2014 8:32 pm

What are we coming too? Hang your head BH, hand your head.

HeavyHooker May 25, 2014 8:35 pm

It is funny, right after I posted I saw the t-shirt on the left hand side of the page: "Football is 90 minutes of pretending you're hurt. Rugby is 80 minutes of pretending you're not."

The National Hockey League is penalizing for this sort of foolishness.

hamsandwich May 25, 2014 8:46 pm

Admittedly, Habana looks kind of ashamed of himself when the ref has a word with him, I'm not sure he could have protested a yellow card.

I'm not excusing what he did, but I think it's fair to say that occasions like this can cloud even the best player's judgement. His humility in apologizing like that post-match I think shows him to be above that kind of action.

DanKnapp May 25, 2014 8:57 pm

Funny, I thought his dive in an attempt to get a penalty or even get Farrell sin-binned showed that he was absolutely not above that kind of action. Seeing as, you know, he did it.

Damn right he should have apologised. Quite simply one of the most disgusting things I've seen on a rugby pitch for some time. Dump/tip tackles are dangerous, but you understand why they happen. Gouging is the worst but thankfully is extremely rare. Diving? Absolutely disgusting. Habana should be thoroughly ashamed of himself and I hope that the players around him will have the courage to tell him what they think of it. Habana is now officially a 'cheat'.

hamsandwich May 25, 2014 9:44 pm

In that one moment, in a hugely important match, he made one regrettable decision and you want to officially brand him permanently as a cheat?

He may be a professional rugby player with loads of international experience, but the guy is still human, he is allowed to make mistakes.

I hate diving, it's sad that it's creeping into the game and it should be stopped, but how can you possibly say that it's on the same level as an eye-gouge? Dives hurt nobody, they may be bad and certainly do not belong in the game, but to suddenly chatise Habana for one stupid snap decision is very harsh

Reality May 25, 2014 10:03 pm

Ok, so diving isn't a big problem, because no one gets hurt. As well as that, yapping constantly at the referee doesn't hurt anyone, so no big deal. Institutionalised cheating in the form of fake blood capsules doesn't hurt anyone, so no big deal. Disrespecting opponents doesn't hurt anyone, so no problem with that either.

Thank God you're a minority in the sport! And I'd hardly call his apology an example of humility. I mean, he got told off by the referee for diving; he couldn't really not publicly apologise after that.

Not true May 25, 2014 11:18 pm

that is entirely unfair... plenty of players would have done something just like that and not apologised. BH is one of the few south african players that is cool headed and a true role model for the sport

DanKnapp May 26, 2014 6:32 am

Ok, let me just clarify.

I'm saying that gouging is 100x worse, and is thankfully rare. I think diving is appalling and is becoming more common, which is worrying. Habana has not just dived once, he 'dived' when being tackled by Digby Ioane recently, and other posters have suggested that they've seen him do it in other games. This is cheating. He is therefore a cheat.

Respect is a fundamental aspect of Rugby. I see no respect in a move designed to get a player sent from the pitch. I think it is as appalling as calling for another player to get a card, waving an imaginary card at the referee, and so on. It should have no place in our sport.

At the same time, kudos to the guy for apologising, although I wonder if he'd have apologised had he not been reprimanded by the referee on the field. I hope that the sheer embarrassment will serve to moderate his behaviour in the future.

I was angry when I posted last night, because until the video was shared on RD I had no way of venting my anger. It is entirely possible that I am over-reacting.

@Not true - SA sport has more than it's fair share of heroes. Jean De Villiers is, for me, the absolute embodiment of Rugby's values and my favourite player. Hard tackling, can take the hits, and doesn't feel the need to simulate this sort of stuff.

Full Back May 26, 2014 8:51 am

In fairness he did come out and make an apology which is more than most would/have done. It's not the first time someone's tried to milk it on a rugby pitch, rare yes, unheard of unfortunately no. But it is the first time (at least for me) that an apology like this has been made.
He's had a long career and so for one instance of stupidity (for which he's apologised) I wouldn't go branding him..."officially" or not.

Great refereeing by the way

Ho3n3r May 26, 2014 7:39 am

LOL. It's not like he's nearly the first that did it, nor will he be nearly the last to attempt it.

So keep your panties on.

But I agree that it should be stamped out. And we have technology, which they refuse to use in football, so yellow cards must be used for diving.

kiweed June 23, 2014 3:55 pm

Above that kind of action? It isnt the first time he's done it and he only apologized because he got called out. He's right down there with Gregan, Parra and Yashvili.

Ronan May 25, 2014 8:49 pm

im embarrassed for you BH.
tut tut tut.....

cheyanqui May 25, 2014 9:02 pm

would have loved it if one of guys on the Saracens bench were to hand a soccer ball to the ball boy, and get him to carry it out to Wilko, or place it at the penalty mark.

cheyanqui May 25, 2014 9:02 pm

Too bad SA didn't qualify for Rio.
Bafana Bafana Habana has a nice ring to it.

Reality May 25, 2014 9:26 pm

Bloody cheat! Apologising after his team have won the match doesn't really mean much. I might even be able to accept his apology as genuine if he didn't have such a history of diving. There are very few players I can say I've zero respect for, but he's definitely one of them.

DanKnapp May 25, 2014 9:31 pm

We've got this incident, plus also this one recently with Digby Ioane... any others on film that you're aware of? Name and shame the cheats people.

Reality May 25, 2014 9:51 pm

There's one I can't find where he did the exact same thing that he did with Ioane but against France. He got Thomas Domingo yellow-carded, if I remember correctly.

Benny May 27, 2014 12:26 pm

Sonny Bill took a dive but I can't remember who it was against - maybe Australia? Sneaky smile on his face afterwards too. One more reason some people don't like the guy

stroudos May 27, 2014 1:05 pm

Are you sure you're not thinking of Jimmy Cowan? (I'm not suggesting the two look at all similar! just Cowan's the only one I can remember doing that kind of thing). Although if I remember correctly it was that time he was "highlighting" a headbutt by Bakkies Botha, itself in retaliation for Cowan deliberately winding him up. I remember thinking that was all well played by Cowan but others may disagree on pure negativity grounds.

Can't remember Sonny Bill taking a dive - in fact, can't imagine it, really...

stroudos May 27, 2014 1:28 pm

Cowan v Nonu was the one I was thinking of:

I actually think that one was hilarious. Crowd were going mental because they could see him on the big screen grinning to himself with satisfaction, which just made him piss himself laughing to their even greater fury. And to be fair, he had just been smashed in the head by Nonu's flying shoulder, so it was rather impressive that was not actually that badly hurt!

borderman June 14, 2014 8:23 am

Have to agree with Reality and there are a few others.

andyb8 May 25, 2014 9:30 pm

It was still a penalty. Stupid by Farrell who seems incapable of resisting the cheap shot.

joemw1 May 25, 2014 10:02 pm

Classic Farrell hater.... How on earth is that a cheap shot, he leaned into him, was never going to do any harm, and moved his arm to let him through. It was only designed to make Habana slow down, not hurt him.

Geust May 26, 2014 12:54 am

It is a cheap shot, as you said it was intended to slow him down, and therefore gain an unfair advantage. This sort of thing does happen all the time and should be clamped down on, as a quick player my self nothing is worse than trying to get to the ball and someone holding you back/deliberately getting in your way. Should definitely be penalised, had Habana not pulled a football.

jeppy89 May 27, 2014 5:02 pm

its a penalty - its not a cheap shot. For cheap shot google Bakkies Botha, should give you an idea.

Skid986 May 25, 2014 9:49 pm

Was the pen reversed for the dive?

stroudos May 26, 2014 5:25 am

No, it wasn't. I would love to have seen that happen. Mind you, the introduction of a "simulation" offence in wendyball doesn't seem to have helped that much actually.

Scottp90 May 25, 2014 9:50 pm

This definitely needs to have some sort of ban attached to it. We can't have diving creeping into the game.

Reality May 25, 2014 10:07 pm

It'll be interesting to see if the authorities do something about it. I think penalising diving for bringing the game into disrepute would be the simplest solution. If you wanted to get heavy-handed you could say yellow-carding for diving; it might seem a bit extreme but would virtually eliminate the problem. If Habana had gotten a yellow card and had the penalty reversed I'd say it'd be a long time before anyone would try something similar again.

DanKnapp May 25, 2014 10:13 pm

I think you could safely say that a yellow card would only be given when they were certain diving had taken place. You'd have to hope the shame would put a stop to it. But then again, Bryan Habana has shown how little shame he has with a series of dives.

Colin May 25, 2014 10:38 pm

I used to respect and admire BH as a quality player whose Rugby skills and ability were breathtaking.
Now, he would be better off on a football pitch chasing a round ball!
His apology is meaningless and he should be taken to task by the Rugby Authorities and his Club.

matt May 27, 2014 10:57 am

He was my favourite player for years, but his recent spate of exaggerated falls has left me pretty disillusioned. It seems a shame that an athlete and rugby player with so much ability has resorted to pulling this kind of shit

Bunn May 26, 2014 12:36 am

I think this needs to become a meme!

SupaC May 26, 2014 12:38 am

Habana unfortunately has some form with this kind of behaviour. If things aren't going his way he tends to be petulant and will milk things to try and get his own way.

Shame really as he has been one of the best wingers of his generation but this kind of care on taints his legacy for me.

Golden Suits May 26, 2014 1:41 am

Not saying it's right. But it takes a strong character to make a public apology and own up to it. So forgive and forget I say. He will learn from this.

Canadian content May 26, 2014 3:33 am

Why not just reverse the call?

Dumb move by habana, but FairPlay to the apology.

But cannot agree to the sentiments above that this is worse than a gouge or any other dangerous play.

When players hurt other players who are vulnerable they are make the same split second decision habana made, they try to capitalize kong their advantage. His was extremely unsporting to say the least, but to suggest it's worse than someone who tries to hurt or thuggishly intimidate an opponent when they have the advantage is something I cannot agree with.

DanKnapp May 26, 2014 6:37 am

I didn't mean it was worse than a gouge, I phrased it badly. Gouging is clearly 100x worse. I only meant it was more worrying because I feel it is becoming more common.

Ebola = seriously bad news, extremely rare.
Being bitten by a dog = bad news, much more likely.

Tell me which one you worry about more day to day?

Sorry for my lack of clarity in the previous post. I really am not suggesting that this is worse than gouging.

DrG May 29, 2014 10:25 am

What if you get bitten by a dog that HAS ebola - surely that has to factor in somewhere?

DanKnapp May 29, 2014 10:24 pm

Kill all of the dogs. All of them. Kill them now.

Robbie May 26, 2014 6:28 am

That's what French rugby does to you I'm afraid....

Colombes May 26, 2014 7:05 am

Wonderful player but he tends to replicate this kind of dive-like-i-was-shot since few years.

A dive ban? A yellow card would be efficient and sufficient to wake up the mentalities

Rugbydump May 26, 2014 7:37 am

If the apology is anything to go by, the talking to from Alain Rolland (and mass abuse on social media) did the trick.

Colombes May 26, 2014 8:53 am

His apology was great to read. he assumes his mistake like a chief

But like Stroudos said, i think we'll see more and more players milking, so irb would be wise to anticipate it ;)

stroudos May 26, 2014 8:17 am

I think RD puts it perfectly in the write-up at the top. This is a player with an unbelievable record. 95 caps and has won almost everything there is to win. Even with a few milked penalties, the ledger is still very heavily weighted towards the awesome side.

What a pity though, if rather than the winning-almost-everything-there-is-to-win, he ends up remembered as the man who really brought diving into professional. Like the footballer Jurgen Klinnsman - great player but all I ever remember is him throwing himself theatrically to the ground. I also remember he was widely ridiculed at the time (at least in England), the same way people are reacting to Habana now. But the wheels had been put in motion and diving very quickly became pervasive.

If Habana was a rubbish rugby player I'd be less concerned. The fact that he's brilliant makes it more likely that people will copy.

So it's great that he's apologised is wonderful news. But I wonder if the damage has already been done, especially with his "previous" in this. I sincerely hope not.

By the way - final point - Habana did actually clatter his head on the ground quite hard while executing this ridiculous dive, so in some respect he received his punishment from the rugby gods instantaneously!

DrG May 26, 2014 8:35 am

Don't want to jump onto the Habana hate wagon, but I really don't like the guy. Stroudos has written just up there why Habana has the ability to be disliked. Habana has everything going for him, yet he resorts to this sort of **** and it's NOT the first time it has happened!

I'd like to see greater punishment for this ridiculous behaviour.

10stonenumber10 May 26, 2014 8:49 am

He could argue that he was highlighting the infringement to the ref. Either way, it is very petty, and shows a certain side of his character. More willing to pull a penalty than back himself and continue the play, maybe he realised he made the wrong choice by kicking and took the fall.

A few weeks ago he wrenched himself into a tip tackle trying get a player carded for what was just a very solid hit. Maybe he thinks too much of himself... "How dare you smash me! I'm Bryan f*cking Habana!", and while he does the diva act, the 2011 Springbok enforcers step in. Is he afraid of the Dark Arts of Top 14? Doesn't matter who you are in the french leagues, if you're on the wrong side, acting the arse, or got a bad haircut... you will get a shoeing... And I am pretty sure in his test career HABANAAAAAAA has scored many tries to put France under.

rememberthemer May 26, 2014 11:52 am

Now I would hate to see diving become a regular part of the game but there is a fair bit of hypocrisy amongst these posts.

Deysel is obstructed + Deysel stomps on face in revenge = Deysel is victim and you all understand his frustration.

Habana is obstructed + Habana dives to ensure penalty is awarded = Habana is perpertrator of evil, must be PUNISHED etc etc.

Would you all be happier if Habana had stopped and lamped Farrel in the face?

finedisregard May 26, 2014 3:49 pm

Yes I would. It's about motivation.
Deysel was trying to play rugby and the opposition was stopping him from doing so. He was not trying to get anyone in trouble or mislead the ref. He was just doing his job.

Habana was slightly impeded and his reaction was to act out in blatant attempt to convince the ref that a foul had occurred when it had not.

So Deysel is a rugby player trying to get on with it. Habana is a cheater and an actor. Big difference.

DrG May 26, 2014 4:49 pm

I'm with finedisregard...

Habana is playing negative rugby and so was the chap clinging onto Deysel.. I've heard the expressions, you ALWAYS play to the whistle..

Habana is midget, there is no way in hell that arm from Farrell would have brought him down, therefore he did not play to the whistle and played negatively. I personally think the better part of his character should have had him power through that arm by Farrell and get to where he wanted to go. If the referee saw the big infringement, he'd have blown the whistle, but instead Habana milks it, looks like a prat and once again lowers my opinion of him...

10stonenumber10 May 26, 2014 6:30 pm

Agreed with DrG and finedisregard.

90% of other players would have seen it as a chance to bosh through a 'lazy running' Farrell. If I was 5 stone heavier, i'd drop the shoulder in myself, making sure nothing gets between me and the ball. Especially if they are the oppo fly half. If he wants to get rough, give it back to him.

Don't mince around and go down like a sack of spuds when you run into someones arm.

Deysel is understandable. Like that welsh lock who got sent off (or was he scottish?) for kicking out and catching a player. Even the player who got kicked shook his head and said it was harsh, and that he would have reacted the same way, shame claret was spilt and that tipped the scales towards a red and a ban.

Borthwick was right to call him an embarrassment. In rugby, you are only as good as your last game. He might have Currie cups, super 14s, tri nations, lions series and bah-bahs honours, but he would be buying his own drinks if i ever owned a pub.

DanKnapp May 26, 2014 8:13 pm

You won't see a single post from me anywhere on this website condoning stamping. There is a big difference between understanding why someone stamps and condoning it.

Deysel did something wrong. Habana did something wrong. Deysel was punished. Habana was not. Deysel also did something which was once far more common and is becoming less so, Habana is doing something which was once very rare and is becoming slightly more common, therefore it is natural to get more worked up about it.

10stonenumber10 May 26, 2014 8:38 pm

I do not condone stamping either, but every forward held back at a ruck has it in the back of their mind, no matter how disciplined, they want to react, heat of the moment and brain farts means it develops into an action for some.

The same way someone every fibre in your being is wondering if the ref might give you the commitment benefit of the doubt a la Courtney Lawes if you drop your shoulder into a fly half clearing his lines.

Diving doesn't come into play for 99% of players. 100% of players want to punch someone back who hits them, many manage to and are praised, but again, if an 18 stone hairy prop is playing whack-a-mole with your head, it takes a lot to not throw one back. It takes a conscious decision to dive from a punch (if it hasn't floored you) rather than react and protect yourself. I'm usually more concerned with keeping my teeth than gaining a penalty.

Negative play from Habana.

FlankerGib May 26, 2014 11:53 am

The thing I hate about diving is that it is always premeditated to some extent. You have to go into a collision knowing that you are going to throw yourself on the ground immediately afterwards; there simply isn't time to take the contact and then decide that diving would be a good idea.

Habana knew as soon as he kicked it that he would be hitting the deck. The knob.

Peter May 26, 2014 12:29 pm

The easiest way to keep this reprehensible footballesque behaviour out of rugby is for the relevant governing body to ban the player from a number of games. If they fail to do so then it should fall to the international rugby board. An apology is simply not good enough.
It should be the same if a club fails to ensure the safety of a player following a concussion incident as recently occurred in France with loss of a significant of points - again the IRB stepping in if the individual governing body fails to take action.

Mike13 May 26, 2014 12:41 pm

moment of stupidity from a great player. I for one accept his apology and hope it's a lesson for all.

DrG May 26, 2014 4:51 pm

What is the lesson here? A great player who has more metal work on his mantelpiece than many others got caught out by one of his many dives and he still got the penalty.. He gets to say sorry and supposedly everyone should say "yeh sure, he's awesome, let him get away with it!"

Borthwick was right, "embarrassing!"

DanKnapp May 26, 2014 8:19 pm

"Sit down class. Stop talking at the back, DrG.

"Today's lesson is about how to avoid being punished when you have done something wrong.

"Point #1: Always apologise afterwards in a prompt and timely manner. This is evidence that you are very, very sorry for what you have done. It is good for getting a few weeks off a ban when you've punched someone in the face, stamped on their crotch, or molested their dog.

"Point #2: Never, ever use the 'C-word'. You did not 'cheat'. You made a 'mistake' in a 'moment of madness'. This means that you are not a cheat, you are simply a decent human being who is, at the end of the day, simply another victim of the all-penetrating darkness at the centre of the human condition.

"Point #3: Try not to look too smug when the powers-that-be decide you have learned your lesson and let you off with a warning."

DrG May 26, 2014 9:37 pm

Haha - Could make a fair bit of cash with that lot, print them out and send them to every rugby club in the country/world for £5 trademark 'DanKnapp'.

Clivemcl12 May 26, 2014 1:02 pm

In fairness, there is far too much off the ball interference in the game. To me, its just as bad as diving. Disgusting cheating. If Refs and citing panels dealt with these incidents more, players wouldn't be tempted to add their own dramatics.
Refs don't do enough about it.

James May 26, 2014 3:15 pm

So if it was designed to slow him down, it's an infringement - hence a penalty. He could have pulled out of the challenge, but didn't.

DrG May 26, 2014 4:43 pm

I don't understand why so many people hold his apology so highly... The guy was caught by a crowd of how many thousands? A referee who clearly thought it was pathetic, and how many millions watching at home and how many millions more now?.. He can hardly say he didn't do it..

It's this same old **** where someone goes into the disciplinary hearing after trying to take someones head off and says "Sorry" and admits their guilt... WELL THEY CAN'T EXACTLY SAY IT WASN'T THEM!!!!

So yeh he apologised, big deal, he shouldn't have ever been in a position where he would NEED to issue a big apology..

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to see he did say sorry, but unfortunately for me, it's a big factor if I look at his career. He is not the first to do it and it is not the first time he's 'milked it' but there should NEVER have been a first time with a player of his ability!

Guest May 26, 2014 5:58 pm

Stop calling him BH! BH means bra in German, and I can't stop giggling.

Bokfan May 26, 2014 6:12 pm

You must have missed Jean de Villiers sliding in with the knee into a players face after one of his own team mates scored a try...

DW May 27, 2014 11:24 am

To follow on the theme of recent wendyball-like actions...

Was it Strettle who was shouting at the referee and pointing off the field when the Lobbe incident happened? Whoever it was, shouting at the referee and calling for another player to be sent off/ binned has just as much place in rugby as Habana's dive or Ashton shouting "push it". Would like to see this football stuff that's creeping in get punished more

PB May 27, 2014 12:46 pm

I'm almost certain I've seen him do this before if I'm honest, I can't recall a specific match but I'm certain I've seen him milking a tackle once or twice before.

db May 27, 2014 11:14 pm

I've considered Habana to be talking way too much on the pitch for a while. This just puts the icing on the cake, really. Great athlete, not quite as great as a sportsman. What's it with wingers these days?

ruppansy May 28, 2014 2:29 am

Jeeez, looks like a bunch of pansies are watching the game these days and have it in for one of the most proven players of his time. Habana is fantastic. Sure he milked it, and has milked it before. That is not uncommon when great players are targeted. I too wish Habana cut out this BS. But lets face it, Farrell was a tool and it is not the first time. There was no need to block Habana in any way. The action deserved a penalty whether Habana milked it or not. Glad that Habana has been raked over the coals for his action, and hope he learns from it. The trouble is that Habana has been taken out plenty of times without getting awarded a penalty so perhaps feels the need to milk it to legitimately get a penalty awarded.

But for those who are so incensed that they are equating "milking it" to eye gouging or cheating, perhaps you need to go and watch soccer instead and pick up the dummy you spat on the way.

DrG May 28, 2014 8:52 am

Ironic how you call a group of people pansies yet apparently appear to understand diving and milking it... AND THEN, advise said people to go and watch soccer which is EXACTLY what we all just watched in this video and kicked up a huge fuss about...

I'll give everyone odds: Evens he's a moron. 1/2 he's a troll...

DanKnapp May 28, 2014 10:48 am

I've got £5 that says he's both.

Eddie-g May 28, 2014 8:53 pm

In Habana's defence, he was named after a soccer player. (no, really, his dad was a ManU fan, and named his son after Bryan Robson)

But this is pretty dreadful. Glad he apologised, and now he mustn't do it again. He deserves his reputation as a great player, but he will tarnish that reputation if he goes on like this.

Dazza May 30, 2014 9:27 am

It's not a cheap shot, the dive is a cheap shot!! Farrell was going to tackle him, saw that he'd kicked the ball, and was pulling out of the tackle. Habana could easily have carried on running through, as it was only a loose arm. Instead he chose to fall to the floor (almost in slow motion for added effect), probably in an attempt to get Farrell sin binned. What he should have done was run through, use the extra space created by Farrell not being where he should have been, draw in defenders and release the ball. They probably would have scored another try! It is cheating, plain and simple. He probably got a tweet from Ronaldo congratulating him.