Ben Tameifuna massive fend on huge prop

Brian O'Driscoll Breakdown Masterclass

Step and unbelievable dummy sets up try

Ben Funnell slamming tackle on Hawkins

Southland sensational try after big bump

Springboks edge All Blacks in thriller

Prop lays into fullback with big shot

Tameifuna's huge hit on Michael Hooper

Streaker starts mass brawl after tackle

Sunday, June 15, 2014

New Zealand win England series 2-0 with victory in Dunedin

New Zealand wrapped up their with England by winning the second Test 28-27 in front of a capacity crowd at the Forsyth Barr stadium in Dunedin on Saturday. The All Blacks retain the Hilary Shield, with one match left to play in Hamilton next weekend.

England started well, scoring the first try of the game through Marland Yarde, but had to wait until the final ten minutes to cross again. New Zealand scored three tries of their own, through Ben Smith, Julian Savea and Ma'a Nonu.

In the first half a breakaway chance for Manu Tuilagi down the right wing could have extended England's early lead, but he wasn't able to break the cover defence, or find a supporting player.

With dominant possession and territory, the All Blacks took their chances and with the score at 28-13 at one stage, the game was out of reach. An injury time try to Chris Ashton - from an excellent Tuilagi offload - added gloss to the final score, but the win was already secured.

"We certainly played better than in the first Test but we needed to because England were a lot better, too," said New Zealand coach Steve Hansen. "It was a great Test match. The ball was thrown around and everyone would have left satisfied with what they saw.

Stuart Lancaster's England side are in a good position ahead of next year's Rugby World Cup, with a good squad system developing. "Scoring three tries in Dunedin is not a bad return so we are moving in the right direction but we didn't quite finish the deal."

Skipper Chris Robshaw said that they'll aim to finish the tour on a high, despite two losses.

"It's a result-based industry and unfortunately we've had two losses and lost the series. But we've got another match to come next week and we're going to come out fighting again."

England play the Crusaders on Tuesday before the final Test in Hamilton on Saturday.

Posted at 10:40 am | 46 comments

New Zealand snatch victory after strong England showing

I_bleed_green_and_gold June 15, 2014 12:18 pm

Thought England had that one. Needed a specialist winger and tuilangi in place of twelvetrees. BT gave up a lot of go forward ball.

getitout June 15, 2014 3:54 pm

Have rated twelvetrees for a long time now and defended him from his critics, but not sure I can justify that after saturdays performance. Twice (maybe more?) he halted England attacks by attempting very impossible offloads, one of which led directly to an NZ try. Nonu was pretty anonymous in the first test but shat all over the england backline yesterday. Admittedly that is not all twelvetrees' fault but he was certainly missing tackles, whereas Eastmond seemed to contain him very well last week

Facepalm June 15, 2014 4:19 pm

Usually I'd be the first to criticise Twelvetrees and yes, he was poor. But Burrell was far worse. I'm not sure why everyone's harnessing their criticism against Billy when the bloke stood next to him didn't make a tackle all game.

karimabuseer June 15, 2014 9:00 pm

I know at international level consistency is expected, but everyone has a bad game occasionally!

I_bleed_green_and_gold June 15, 2014 11:39 pm

After further review of this highlights package I see how poor Burrell was on defense. Watching live I just saw BT giving possession away and never passing. Nonu is such a Strange player as he swings with form every year for club but is good for the AB's... he does seem to put in a few cheap shots though.

dave June 15, 2014 10:09 pm

to getitout
Harsh call I think on the pass to Wood that led to an All Blacks try
There's a good chance if that pass had been completed Wood would have scored or been brought short at their line.
England want to play a fast tempo, dynamic/offloading game but they're not they're yet and they wont get their without making the mistakes to get there.
I wouldn't have it any other way
England's attack is exciting, what a novelty!
And what's with that south african ref,
Brown clearly had the ball under his control even though a couple of all blacks were touching it and got at least a part of the ball down on the line, as if he almost didn't give it!
Seems a bit farcical also Brown got taken out after a kick and it was ignored, Wilson had Woodcock with his elbow down twice in the scrum and no call but Franks has Marler down like that once and it's a penalty, I don't buy the supposed All Black scrum dominance in this game and Farrell's yellow card was a shit call.
Great game despite the loss
I really respect how they didn't concede near the end
And what about Savea destroying Yarde! Dayum!
Apparently the whole 9 10 12 13 unit is limping after this game,
maybe go with 9 dickson (not impressed with youngs) 10 burns 12 eastmond 13 tuilagi and the only change to the back three being ashton on the right wing
To win the third test they're going to need to throw the Kitchen sink, kitchen table, microwave, washing machine and maybe try to run them over with a car.
Hears to hope for a miracle win of any kind
....nothing more to say....

jimmy23 June 15, 2014 12:38 pm

Gutted, really thought we were in with a chance especially after that 1st half. But those pesky All Blacks just had to go and show their class in the 2nd half didn't they? Ben Smith is without a doubt my favourite southern hemisphere player, such a class act.

Mixed feelings on the Tuilagi experiment. Bar that amazing pass at the end he barely featured in attack, but a part of me can't help but feel that Savea would have caused a lot of havoc if someone else was there opposite him. Yarde isn't exactly small and he got minced. Would love to see how a Burrell/Tuilagi combination in the centre would work though.

I suppose it's good that we managed to bring it to within a point at the end considering the siege we were subjected to (Brown's try shouldn't have counted but Farrell shouldn't have been yellow carded so I feel that put things on an even keel), but the 'plucky loser' tag loses it's charm fast. Hopefully they can further improve on this performance and get a win next week.

DrG June 15, 2014 1:38 pm

After a rather late/heavy friday night I awoke at 6am blurry eyed, downed a small ocean of water and fell asleep again, missing the match - what's new...

So anyway, I can't comment on the game, but I can comment on my premature judgement on how England were going to perform in the second test (at least score wise)...

In the past there have been times where teams have 'nearly won' in the first test against the All Blacks - These challenging teams have walked away perhaps resting on their laurels and under the notion that perhaps next week they can get that 95% rate they were playing at up to 100% and they know they'll win the next test...only to come back and get annihilated by an AB team that went from 75% (and still winning) up to 110%... I suspected this would be the case against England for the second test.

Of course, not seeing the game I cannot quote on what test 3 will be like. Did the AB's still not get up to their 110% in the second test? Or were England just THAT good?

UpTheLowEnd June 15, 2014 3:38 pm

The AB's got up to the 110%... for a 20 min period at the start of the second half. Wasn't vintage by either side but even I as an England fan recognise that the points deficit should have been far greater. I just can't work out whether its down to character or blind luck that thats not the case.

Pete June 15, 2014 2:14 pm

Great game, which I enjoyed watching.

In my view, the two defining moments of the match were:
1 - Mike Brown giving up on following Tuilagi's sprint just before half time. Tuilagi managed to keep his ball hand free to make the offload, looked around to throw the try scoring pass and Brown was still a mile behind him, meaning England failed to score.
2 - The non-existent knock-on advantage to England played immediately before the Nonu try. England got an "advantage" in the middle of the park, as a result threw a speculative pass which lost them ground and position and the referee then told them to play on. From that weak position they gave away the third AB try.

I feel like the comentators (at least the English ones I was listening to) completely missed these crucial points. I said the same thing about the way England failed to react to the quick tap penalty last week - that was the match-winning moment for the ABs and it didn't feature in either the comentary or the highlights reels. Highlights shouldn't just be the scoring of the points, in my opinion.

Rob June 15, 2014 5:59 pm

Mike Brown didn't give up, he was shadowed all the way. Had Tuilagi made the pass he would have been tackled easily. You're right about the 'advantage' though. He called advatange over and almost immediately England lost the ball. He could easily have brought it back

Pipo June 15, 2014 7:10 pm

"Highlights shouldn't just be the scoring of the points, in my opinion." <--- THIS!

joeythelemur June 17, 2014 6:52 pm

Yes, I couldn't watch the match, but read all about Ben Smith's tackle on Tuilagi, but it's not in the highlights! A number of commentators said that was a key inflection point for the match, so I'll have to look for it elsewhere.

joeythelemur June 17, 2014 6:56 pm

Oh, and would have liked to see the yellow card infraction.

45678 June 15, 2014 9:46 pm

Brown was very well marshalled away from tuilagi by retallick (I think)

The right option would have been to kick in field a la the st Andre try at twickenham. Then it would have been a sprint between brown and retallick

Bunn June 16, 2014 9:11 pm

It was Jane shadowing Brown, but he has to run a better line ideally. Good centre forwards deceive defenders with clever lines and movement, Brown could have been better. These moments separate the All Blacks from the rest, as they finish them

Ruaridh June 15, 2014 3:15 pm

Why can't you make the youtube videos full size whilst on this site?

Rugbydump June 15, 2014 3:46 pm

There is a youtube bug in certain versions of Chrome. If you're using any other browser and still have this problem, please let us know. Thanks.

DanKnapp June 15, 2014 7:34 pm

RD, I don't have this problem using the same browser (Chrome) on other websites with embedded Youtube videos. This is literally the only website where I've experienced the problem. Happy enough, but I don't know why it's only affecting RD.

joeythelemur June 17, 2014 6:51 pm

I have the same issue, always click on the "YouTube" logo to watch at the full site, then come back here for the comments. Or just use FF or PaleMoon.

WelshOsprey June 15, 2014 4:41 pm

England were great again, they've got a great blend of players who compliment each other well. Compare that to Wales where Gatland seems to think if you're big, you should start regardless of skills or form. World cup group looks tougher and tougher with England constantly improving.

DanKnapp June 15, 2014 7:35 pm

High praise indeed from a Welshman. Thanks!

JJ June 15, 2014 5:02 pm

Having watched the game with severall of englands bigger players having queit games. Cares knock ons, farrell relatively anoymous, the pack was still good and I feel if they step up the next test and the backs are firing on all cylinders it could be the best game of the 3.

Ron_Mexico June 15, 2014 6:07 pm

In the highlights, I'm missing the awesome try-saving tackle/turnover by Ben Smith on Tuilagi in the first half.
That was pure class. Generally, he had a blinder

karimabuseer June 15, 2014 9:01 pm

Fantastic commitment to track Tuilagi down like that and get the turnover.

Piglet June 15, 2014 6:32 pm

twelvetrees and burrel were awful they looked like it was their first international throwing passes to try and impress selectors, their tackling was dire. I think tuilagi on the wing is a good option but i don't think it will work with farrel at 10 as he isn't attacking enough. and all the people who think burrel and tuilagi as a partnership in the centres would be a good idea you're morons. Neither of them are play makers it will be like having barret and tuilagi again we will be so one dimensional

45678 June 15, 2014 9:24 pm

I'll be the first to criticise the officiating then. Not to take any credit away from nz, but they were gifted 20 mins of non officiating. Sure they took their window clinically, but there was forward pass after forward pass, several missed knock ons and the gate didn't exist. If you went back a phase from each score there was clear missed indiscretions. you had a savea dropped ball, retallick came from the side when England turned the ball over and picked the ball up illegally. There was a phase with 4/5 forward passes / offloads. The yellow card was a joke, because it was a collapsed maul, not a ruck. Again no card for nz, despite a warning and subsequent infringements.

I know kiwis will cite the brown "try." There were 3 penalties given to England in the build up to the try being given. Mealamu tried killing the ball at the last ruck. I doubt play would have been brought back and a card given?

I do sound like a bad sport I know. My frustration is partly aimed at England going to sleep for 20 minutes - they stood off far too much in that period and kicked poorly

However when England were pulled up for a marginal forward pass early in the first half, you then expect forward passes to be consistently refereed for the rest of the game, you also expect a yellow card warning to be followed through when a team then commits further penalties

It may be home advantage, it may be the speed at which nz played that bamboozles the officials, it may be the benefit of TV angles, but I feel that England are expected to be 100% perfect, whereas nz get the benefit of the doubt. All I would like is consistency. Rant over x

joeythelemur June 17, 2014 7:03 pm

"Not to take any credit away from nz"

I think you just did. You say Mealamu tried to kill the ball on the Brown "try", yet the ball was out, which is why he thought he was entitled to play it. But the ref told the ABs to stop. They are all looking incredulously at the ref (which I found kind of funny). Then the England player on the ground pulled it back?

I didn't see the whole match, so can only comment on the highlights here. You say NZ got the rub of the forward pass calls, but it really sounds like sour grapes.

Phil mc avity June 16, 2014 3:12 am

Ah long time no comment! (Since the six nations :) ) hope everyone is well.... Right.....
No one has mentionned the replacements.... :o ????!
England had a good first half, then from 45-65 mins we we're fooked. Hartley, Vunipola and Lawes should have been brought on at 45. Webber is not fit enough to play 60 mins, not even 50. Ben Morgan was inexistant, so bring on Vunipola! And courtney Lawes should have been brought on to tackle (around 45-50mins) because no one esle was tackling.

I agree with B.Twelvetrees comments, he was shite, Burrell wasn't great.
Wilson held the ball with one hand and chipped it over whilst sprinting! Good call, but why is the prop in that position anyway? Must be un organised attack issues. When do you even see an all black prop chip it over?

I recon Eastmond will start at 12 with Burrell at 13 and Manu 14. SL has annonced the team to face (Crusaders? Can't remember sorry) and there is no Ashton, no Eastmond.

And when Tuiliagi made that break and Brown was 'following' I was like.....what?!! As Brown got over taken by Retallik. But Brown got smashed on the cheap shot (after his up and under) about 5mins before and looked knackered after that.

Phil mc avity June 16, 2014 3:18 am

16 Webber/Ward
17 Mullan
18 Brookes
19 Parling
20 Morgan/Haskell
21 Youngs
22 Burns/Cipriani (would love to see Cipriani play with Tuiliagi and Eastmond)
23 Foden/Ashton/Pennel (I wouldn't have Yarde on the bench if Ashton was starting)

Phil mc avity June 16, 2014 3:18 am

16 Webber/Ward
17 Mullan
18 Brookes
19 Parling
20 Morgan/Haskell
21 Youngs
22 Burns/Cipriani (would love to see Cipriani play with Tuiliagi and Eastmond)

jimmy23 June 16, 2014 7:01 am

Will the likes of Forden and Cipriani be available seeings as they're playing in the Crusaders game?
But if all players are available

Marler Hartley Wilson

19 Lawes
20 Morgan
21 Youngs
22 Burns
23 Foden/Pennell

DrG June 16, 2014 10:22 am

Harsh, asking if Cipriani would be available then not including him at all *chuckle*

jimmy23 June 16, 2014 11:08 am

Haha whoops, meant to include him as well. I look forward to seeing how he fairs against the Crusaders.

UpTheLowEnd June 16, 2014 7:42 pm

I'm liking the look of your pick! Though I think considering Burns' performance in the first test makes him fully deserving of a bench place over Cipriani. Also theres been a couple of hints that Care isn't fully fit.

jimmy23 June 17, 2014 7:45 am

Seeing as Farrell is now out I guess it would be Burns to start and Cipriani on the bench

DW June 16, 2014 11:28 am

Any thoughts on Farrel moving to 12 besides Manu to fill the role Billy is struggling to do week in week out for England?

Presumably the lack of trust in someone like Burns at 10 prevents this but I can't help feeling that more came time for Burns et al would give England a lot more options in the Centres... To be honest playing Daddy's boy for 80 minutes pretty much every game, big or small, will really bite England in the ass if something were to happen to Farrel...

DW June 16, 2014 11:29 am

*game time for Burns! Could be a confusing autocorrect error ;)

Facepalm June 16, 2014 7:31 pm

Farrell at 12 is interesting although perhaps not terribly inspiring.

Personally whenever I've seen Alex Goode he plays as if he's an inside centre with 15 on his back. I'm almost certain it will never happen, but why not put him next to Manu in the midfield. He has all the attributes and all the skills and will naturally slip into that role even when he's playing full back. I'm really trying to find any reason as to why he wouldn't be a success at 12 but I can't find a single one! If Goode's not a 12 then I'll be damned.

Phil mc avity June 17, 2014 6:30 am

He can't tackle!!

JimDaff June 16, 2014 9:08 pm

Can we get Wilson's kick up RugbyDump apparently is was a peach, especially for a tight head!

I_bleed_green_and_gold June 17, 2014 1:09 am

Bring back jonny... put him at 10 or 12. He will make the whole team better.

AndyBoy June 17, 2014 11:31 am

What a great game of rugby - who ever would of thought an England side would take on the All Blacks in the loose and not just rely on a dominant pack and a good kicking game? Very encouraging to see that England can play an open style of Rugby effectively.

Last week England were given a lesson in how the best teams can win games even when they are not playing that well, by being clinical when chances come their way.

The two yellow card decisions were crucial to both tests so far - Yarde's was deserved but Farrell's was harsh, in my opinion. Without those England may well have been looking at a series win at this stage.

Tuilagi on the wing? That's a poor call in my book, especially after the problems he caused in the first test. Again, I think this coaching decision had a negative impact on the game for England.

The All Black pack played very well and probably just shaded England; Ben Smith had an awesome game and Nonu was very good as well.

If England can learn one thing from this tour so far is that margin between success and failure at this level is very small - they must learn to be clinical when they have chances.

great game June 20, 2014 7:27 am

Lets face it..the all blacks are a great team. They have won 16 in a row and lost only once since the world cup. But the rest of the world is catching up, and quick. England will be favourites at the world cup imo, it being at home and in conditions that suit them. South Africa will be strong as well. I have the all blacks as 3rd favourites. Just a tip for England fans...stop with the whinging. It happens everytime they lose. Its as unbecoming as the gloating you do everytime they win. Enjoy your rugby everyone, shake hands, have a beer and do it all again next weekend