Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

Prop lays into fullback with big shot

All Blacks snatch victory at the death

Springboks edge All Blacks in thriller

Richard Hibbard & Kalamafoni double hit

Rugby's first ever OWN TRY in NRC

Sam Burgess breaks cheekbone, plays on

Ben Tameifuna massive fend on huge prop

Hala'ufia crunches then slaps Wilson

Monday, June 09, 2014

Ireland get their first ever win in Argentina in Resistencia

Ireland got their series in Argentina off to a good start with a 29-17 win in Resistencia, but have a few injury concerns ahead of next weekend's match in Tucuman. Luke Marshall and Conor Murray are in doubt, while Jonny Sexton should recover.

Argentina scored the first try of the match when Manuel Montero was put in space and finished brilliantly, but a Chris Henry try shortly afterwards saw them lead 11-10 at the break. Sexton scored shortly after the break following a lineout steal from debutant South African, Robbie Diack.

Ireland added to their total around the hour mark as wing Andrew Trimble intercepted a long pass. Sexton converted the try but soon went off and was replaced by Ian Madigan, who added two penalties to put the Six Nations champions out of reach. Tomas de la Vega scored a consolation try.

"It was very hard going, we knew it was going to be physical which it was," said skipper Paul O'Connell. "We didn't know we were going to be as inaccurate as we were. We put a lot of balls down and missed some tackles.

"They put us under a lot of pressure, I think the result is great but the performance is disappointing.

"You look at what England did going down to New Zealand putting in a big performance against them, that’s what we needed to do and we didn’t do that. This gives us something to work on now and something to review over the next few days and knowing Joe Schmidt it will be a very tough review and hopefully our performance will improve next week."

Marshall suffered concussion, his fourth in 12 months, so will need to be assessed before the 2nd Test. Scrumhalf Murray suffered a dead leg, while Sexton has recovered from a knee cramp.

kanpai June 09, 2014 8:35 pm

First try is really impressive ! o_o

hedderball June 09, 2014 8:50 pm

Please God Luke Marshall gives up now. Very sorry to say it as he's a great young player but for his sake I hope he stops.

mtheg June 10, 2014 10:40 am

I've been concerned about Luke Marshall for a while after his bout of concussions. Although it would be a shame for him to stop playing, given recent evidence it is certainly something that should be on his mind if he suffers further head injury. I'd rather see a career cut short than serious long term damage.

Having said that, I did read in a different report that he was not concussed on Saturday, he just took a knock to the head. Whether or not that is the case I don't know.

Rukhage June 09, 2014 10:54 pm

Considering the Pumas fielded a mostly Pampas XV/Jaguars team I'm surprised the Irish didn't score more. I guess it's a good sign for Argentina that we have a good pool of promising youngsters that can, in time, be the backbone of an impressive Pumas side come the WC next year. We just need to focus on discipline and work on our set pieces.

ruckinmaul June 11, 2014 10:35 am

Sorry to say about this, I think Sanchez is not up to standard as the first choice flyhalf. his game is too flat, a resemblance of Dan Parks of Scotland. He takes too much step before pass putting lots of pressure to the midfield players. I don't know any other great Argentine fly half at the moment, so perhaps he is the best at the moment.
Anyway, this is just my opinion.

Rukhage June 11, 2014 3:55 pm

I totally agree with you that the back game is too flat, but this has been a concern for the Pumas for a while now. We tend to hang back and not create enough aggressive attack on our own; so what Sanchez is doing is trying to move the ball forward but his backline does not tend to follow.

katman June 10, 2014 9:57 am

That opening try by Montero was something else.

Mastersa June 11, 2014 3:23 am

We are seeing a bit of the end of season European fatigue in this first performance from Ireland,that and a fair few younger players getting a run. I do think Schmitt will continue to experiment and give younger players some experience before World Cup, so result should be second to performance.. I do share the same concern as others about Luke Marshall. It almost seems like every match now.
I would really love to see Madigan given a run at 12. Even as an impact replacement. Very impressive in defense and attack in Rabo semi and final in that position.

GunshowMckenzie June 11, 2014 5:26 pm

I couldn't get enough of that first Argentine try when I saw it live. The take by the full back was terrific, and the step and pace by Sanchez... The finish reminded me of Shane Williams vs the Springboks back in 2008 I think (going inside and then out). Considering the Pumas has so few recognisable star players I think they did remarkably well, and were only really killed off by a cheap interception try that took the game away from them.