Southland sensational try after big bump

Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

The Human Hurdle Attempt

Streaker starts mass brawl after tackle

WIN Rugby Speaker of the Year tickets!

Prop lays into fullback with big shot

Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

Brian O'Driscoll Breakdown Masterclass

Ben Tameifuna massive fend on huge prop

Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Top 5 Nick 'Honey Badger' Cummins Moments

Above is another classic Cummins post match interview, this time saying thanks to the Force and talking about the try he scored in the corner from a Sam Wykes pass. In typical Honey Badger fashion, it's pretty difficult to understand what he's saying.

"I've come across. I've gone Wykesy yeah, give it, give it. He goes no no no, he pushed me, he pushed me out," he explained.

"I'm thinkin', Wykesy's going to throw a long ball here, how's this gonna go? Fair dinkum, flicks it across, bloody caught it, off like a bride's nightie, meaty, corner, celebrations.com. It's bloody outstanding."

Below is the statement he made to announce his departure to Japan.

Page: 12View All

Nick Cummins' amazing try saving tackle vs Crusaders

Friday Funnies - The Honey Badger's 101 in Aussie Lingo

Honey Badger - A Devotional Song to Nick Cummins

Crowd favourite Nick Cummins bags a hat-trick vs Tahs

Nick Cummins gives another great interview after Force win

Nick Cummins gives best post match interview ever

Nick 'Honey Badger' Cummins interviews Wallaby players

Nick Cummins smashes Nick Reily in the Shute Shield

Posted in Top 5 compilations

jimmy23 July 17, 2014 9:04 pm

Shame to see him go, but his reasons are more than justifiable, what a top bloke.
But now we'll need to find someone to replace him so we aren't subjected to more turgid post-match interviews that consist of lines such as:
"We stuck to our game plan and got through in the end"
"The boys put in a good effort, but just came short in the end"
"We'll have to improve for next week"
etc...

DrG July 17, 2014 11:00 pm

Hopefully we can get some footage of him confusing the hell out the Jap interviewers...

10stonenumber10 July 18, 2014 12:34 pm

Like a one-eyed sushi chef in Shibuya...

DrG July 17, 2014 11:10 pm

Best of luck to Cummins. I sincerely hope he gets all the dosh he needs.

As someone with a dad who is/was suffering from prostate cancer - latest tests show no sign of cancer. I know what it is like for a son to go through this stuff and my thoughts are with his dad who no doubt is in a stressful position (to say the least).

Wishing you and your family all the best.

Jeri July 18, 2014 2:23 am

Best of luck Nick Cummins and well wishes to your family.

The fans would tune in just to see your play in Japan, but you look best in your Force jersey.

Come back well

finedisregard July 18, 2014 2:49 am

Great player and character that really adds so much to our game. Rugby needs Cummins in the spotlight badly. I certainly cannot blame him.

I can't help but think this is a sign of things to come. The foreign money vs. test career thing is coming to a head. The best players are not going to be content to forgo serious paydays just to rep their countries. Money talks and everything else walks.

I wonder what the difference is in salary between the Force and Red Sparks?

DrG July 18, 2014 8:58 am

I suppose if you speculate and say that the Force has more internationally capped players, even IF they both clubs had the same amount of money, the Force would have to spread it out more evenly amongst it's player base, whereas if the Sparks only have Cummins and a couple other 'greats' they might be able to spread their cash a bit less evenly..

I heard somewhere regarding soccer that some players in the past had approached their manger/coach? asking him to help them dodge international duties because they did not want to - I don't know whether this was a monetary thing, a spotlight thing or what, but I think International duties for some people has less meaning than it does for others.

10stonenumber10 July 18, 2014 12:32 pm

Short season in Japan. No international commitments, RWC on the horizon....

I see Nick Cummins with a nice deal from a broadcaster to act as a pundit or roving in camp reporter... much like Beau Ryan on The NRL Footy Show.

Better still, hook him up with Jed Thian from the Alternative Rugby Commentary, NZ vs Aus commentary, unintelligible to all but the most hardcore of fans!!

Either way, 'nuff respeck to the man, his whole family's future is more secure, and a few seasons in Japan with their style of quicker less physical game gives the potential for his career to last to 34-35 instead of the usual 31ish. Hopefully it won't be too long before he's back in the Gold shirt!!

Ando July 18, 2014 5:12 pm

Honey Badger + Jedi = unstoppable commentary combo!!

Boerseun July 20, 2014 4:09 am

He's a bakgat dude! I would gooi him a braai any day of the week. Regards from Canada!

Eddie-g July 21, 2014 4:46 pm

I'll be honest, I'm going to miss the bloke hugely. Good luck to him, I'll defend him to hilt for making this decision, but it's a big loss to the game in the southern hemisphere.

However, there must be someone paying the Badg to do a video diary of life in Japan... if not, RD, maybe an idea for you?

lukejohn1989 July 24, 2014 1:45 pm

Much love for the badge, interviews are funny as hell, decent player and all round good bloke. Will miss not hearing as much about him.

Massive kudos for his reasons for moving too - im sure he's still first choice for the wallabies atm, long international rugby career ahead, world cup round the corner, not a patch on his family, good lad.