Saracens vs Western Province Highlights

Barbarians run riot vs Leicester Tigers

Tribute to MND victim Tinus Linee

Test Rugby Results - Nov 15th weekend

Five nominees for World Player of 2014

Emotive Guinness ads with rugby legends

Steven Luatua Quarterback Lineout throw

Lee Jones makes huge trysaving tackle

IRB Rankings Update 17 Nov 2014

Thursday, August 07, 2014

The Top 5 Worst Celebrations in Rugby history

The Top 5 team at Rugby HQ are at it again, this time tracking down five of the Worst Ever Celebrations on a rugby field, no doubt prompted by the Waratahs' recent inability to produce an F1 podium moment when celebrating their Super Rugby victory in Sydney.

There's also a look at a player injuring himself when celebrating a try that didn't count, an awkward handshake on the big stage, and an interesting dance after a wonderful try (and injured hamstring). More of these moments and others are featured in the Related Posts below.

Can you think of any others that could have made the list?

View more Top 5 Compilations

Waratahs win Super Rugby title after nail-biter vs Crusaders

Japanese player loses the ball over the tryline

The Top 5 You're Kidding Me (Bloopers) moments

The Top 5 Worst Passes of All Time

Japanese celebratory swallow dive try goes horribly wrong

The Dominic Day knee slide cramp celebration

The Top Five Tackles Gone Wrong Of All Time

The Top 5 Swan Dives of all time

Scotland celebrate historic win with sickening head clash

Danny Cipriani's great try & celebration against the Force

Rene Ranger has a go at the Digby Ioane turtle

Posted in Top 5 compilations

stroudos August 07, 2014 7:04 pm

I don't think I can make the joke I want to make about the Waratahs celebration, for fear of Mr Dump removing it immediately for coarseness and vulgarity. It really is a horrific image which I'm struggling to erase from my brain.

On safer ground, who on Earth celebrates a championship victory at this elite level of the game with Cider!?!? Get them some bloody bubbles you tight bar stewards!

Rugbydump August 07, 2014 8:23 pm

'They failed to produce a golden shower of champagne' almost made it into the write-up actually.

22metri August 07, 2014 9:48 pm

Magners is their sponsor....

stroudos August 08, 2014 10:06 am

Heineken sponsor/ed the whatever-it's-called-now Cup but they don't make the winners pour lager over each other.

Or...
VW sponsor Toulon but I don't remember them trying to drink their champagne out of a car.

Eddie-g August 08, 2014 3:24 pm

Someone get Vegemite to sponsor your team

DrG August 08, 2014 4:02 pm

...Welsh had Brains sponsor them for a while..go figure on that one..

tphillipsstl August 07, 2014 7:18 pm

how does the epic scot on scot head butt not make the list!?!

Eddie-g August 07, 2014 8:03 pm

Too right, the Ansbro headbutt should be #1.

Maybe because the incident came when Scotland were celebrating a win over Australia, the Rugby HQ team had tried to scrub that match from their memory.

Ps. Stroudos, you need to let us all in... I'm just seeing the Tahs unable to pop one off, what about you?

stroudos August 08, 2014 10:12 am

No, they're not precious about stuff like that, it's just one of the many awesome things about the show. They had the Scotland celebration in another top 5 recently. In fact that's probably more likely the reason for not including again.

As for the Waratahs - well it looked like the worst ever iteration of the specialist Japanese adult entertainment, (you know what I mean, first syllable making someone jump, 2nd/3rd syllables former Brazil footballer). But unfortunately in this case it looked like the actors had already performed once or twice already that day...

Anyway, *not* a pleasant image!

slippacs August 07, 2014 8:22 pm

Why was Farrells disallowed?

Reality August 07, 2014 9:44 pm

I think the referee said the celebration was too crap and had to disallow the try to teach Farrell an important lesson.

No, but really, it was for a forward pass; I think the one from Goode to the winger.

DrG August 08, 2014 12:21 am

I'm a Farrell hater, so naturally anything like this is going to tickle me - but that 'celebration' was some damn funny stuff!

I do feel a small amount of guilt for laughing, it's never nice to see any player get an injury and I wouldn't wish an injury on anyone, but seeing as it's already happened, I just have to chuckle!

Nkelly August 09, 2014 2:36 am

Also a Farrell hater, guess I'm just meaner than you because I personally have absolutely no guilt at laughing at that one. In fact, that's a moment I'd take home and have sex with, I enjoyed it that much. Jesus, I can't stand that fella.

Canadian content August 10, 2014 2:27 am

Gotta agree he's a petulant young fellow and his celebration was just brash posturing.

finedisregard August 08, 2014 12:31 pm

Before Cipriani did his half ass "Dougie" he pulled up injured too. You can't do a dance then hobble off the field.

Hugging and high fiving your mates in the tryzone is cool. Any pre-choreographed dance move should be an instant yellow card! Back in the way back day players would be stonefaced after scoring.

Canadian content August 10, 2014 2:29 am

You know it's the way cipriani did it, not out of joy or even to share the moment with his team, it's like he was doing it all for himself, glad he's changed

10stonenumber10 August 08, 2014 7:59 pm

I don't think I've seen that Farrell clip before. It's not nice to see him (or anyone) pull up with an injury, kind of sours it a bit. The extreme reaction and hoofing the ball into row Z before being disallowed is priceless though... especially as it was a simple overlap and 2 on 1.