Benito Masilevu's huge side-steps

Ben Flower red card for vicious punches

Brian O'Driscoll Breakdown Masterclass

Springboks edge All Blacks in thriller

Sam Burgess breaks cheekbone, plays on

Just how fast is Carlin Isles?

Samu Manoa Huge Hit on Billy Twelvetrees

Ludovic Mercier crazy reverse pass

The Human Hurdle Attempt

Monday, August 18, 2014

Johan Goosen kicks huge drop goal on Top 14 debut

South African flyhalf Johan Goosen made his Top 14 debut for Racing Metro against Montpellier in round one of the tournament this past weekend. Goosen came on as a replacement on the wing, but managed to get himself into a position to kick a long distance drop goal, with Jonny Sexton on hand.

Replays showed that the ball more than likely went under the crossbar, but the officials and TMO didn't feel that way, and awarded the three points. It was a pretty decent nudge anyway.

Racing won the game 19-16 after three Sexton penalties, and a converted Alexandre Dumoulin try.

Posted in See it to Believe it

10stonenumber10 August 18, 2014 3:02 pm

That was a fair nudge. Not quite Frans Steyn clearing the in-goal area and first 5 rows, but a beast nonetheless.

I suppose compared to football we do not have quite as subtle or deft a touch... but bloody hell does it fly. Unless you are outside your 22, or kicking cross field, i'm pretty sure every kicker has the intention of bursting the ball with their boot. None of this back heel Rabona malarkey. I'm too young to have played a game with a leather ball, so "Kicking the rubber off it" will have to suffice.

Has anybody seen that Goalkeeper vs Heavyweight boxer punching a football?

simples August 18, 2014 10:25 pm

the ball went over as it doesn't disappear as if blocked by the crossbar by it going under. you can still see it meaning it was in front of the crossbar on the way down, meaning its over

notso August 20, 2014 12:15 pm

On the contrary, on my screen I can clearly see the crossbar at 2:54 and when it repeats a couple of seconds later. To me it doesn't look like it went over at all. Fine kick but no goal, from where I'm sitting.

Guy August 20, 2014 7:27 pm

Well, if the ball wasn't over, the Montpellier reserve player should not have touched the ball while being in the field of play. The fact that he does catch it, proves to me that the people closest to the sticks thought it went over.

Good effort anyway!

notso August 21, 2014 7:08 am

I take your point. All I'm saying is that what I see on my screen disagrees with what simples sees, and so maybe it's not cut and dried. I don't think the reserve player should've touched the ball in the field of play no matter what he thought, it was clearly a close call and not his to make.

DrG August 21, 2014 9:17 am

I'm with notso on this. On my screen it looked like the crossbar was in between the camera and the ball...

Also expecting players to behave themselves whilst off the pitch is a bit optimistic...

katman August 21, 2014 12:31 pm

Very hard to tell at this resolution of 4 pixels per square foot. I see a double image of the ball, of which one appears to fall short and one sails over. So what's that - one and a half points?

Guy August 21, 2014 2:52 pm

4 pix per square foot made me chuckle. +1

ESEA August 24, 2014 6:33 am

Its just a result of how motion in video works (in fact both film and still ) that one might seem to believe the cross bar is in front of the ball !
Non moving objects get exposed to the sensor over the entire duration of the frame exposure and therefore a prominent feature in the image will be clear and sharp where as the ball is in motion and is represented in several positions in the frame at once during exposure, the smudged appearance in a single frame, anything behind can show through this smudge, particularly something that is highlighted as is the case with the crossbar. Both the ball and the crossbar have white pixels,the smudged white of the ball is just added to the white of the bar - white +white = white. if the ball was red then red +white = pink and you would definitely see the ball in front of the bar! This video is of low resolution and quality, it is more difficult to see pixels clearly