Tuesday May 13, 2014

135kg Schoolboy Prop Taniela Tupou scores Hat-trick

135kg Schoolboy Prop Taniela Tupou scores Hat-trick
Comments

A 135kg (at least) schoolboy prop scored a hat-trick of tries in a match between Sacred Heart College and Kelston Boys at the weekend. Known as the Tongan Thor, Taniela Tupou celebrated his 18th birthday in style by running in three great tries.

With unbelievable acceleration and balance for someone his size, the Auckland schoolboy showed that he also has a strong fend and can throw a pretty mean dummy. If he hasn’t already caught the attention of Super Rugby selectors, this is sure to do it.

If anyone has any more info on the big guy, where he’s at in terms of career progress etc, please drop us an email or leave a comment below. Thanks

12 Comments

drg

Probably difficult to say regarding his scrummaging. Most of the time at school level, someone weighing in at 135kg wouldn't require much in the way of technique and would probably easily dominate a skilled opponent of a much lighter 'school boy' weight. Until he gets to the big boy games where he might come up against a lighter prop (say 110kg) with great technique we won't necessarily know. I'd imagine if he didn't have a good technique then it wouldn't be long until he grasped one!

drg

HAHAHA

danknapp

Amen brother!

danknapp

And Hemi wins RD for today.

finedisregard

These are the guys I like! Rugby has taught me many lessons, one of the foremost is that great athletes come in all shapes and sizes. I like the big props, short halfbacks, and slight wingers.

• Notice: Trying to get property 'data' of non-object in /var/www/html/php/vo/Comment.php on line 19
  • Also I remember this from the other day ... Prop Logovi'i Mulipola's big charge flattens Sales Sharks hooker 10stonenumber10 May 09, 2014 11:38 am Men like him are the reason I stick to 7s. Soaking wet, he is still over double my weight. Take on a front row when you weigh the same as a tackle bag = suicide. Going for the bootlaces = trampling and dragged behind a galloping horse holding onto an ankle like in the Old West. Thanks Logovi, I'll happily 'show you the outside' and magically 'lose my footing' while the back row peel off round the corner to save my life. I've got very good at the 'punch the ground angry disappointed missed tackle face', even the coach believes it nowadays.

• Unless the front rower has run more than 20 meters

• All front rowers have that ability ... but we just don't want to show up those malnutritioned backs. But then again I'm biased against anyone wearing a number higher than 3

• Agreed, likely American college football and the nfl too. It's used too much but this kid is freakishly gifted. Screw prop, could he play 12?

juggernauter

Wow. Just wow.

jimmy23

But... but... HOW?!

drg

Bloody big guy, obviously carrying a bit of unnecessary weight and as he progress no doubt he'll turn that into pure muscle, but right now it seems like a something that can easily be ignored when you consider his pace, handling skills and footwork...

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Training Videos

Player Features

135kg Schoolboy Prop Taniela Tupou scores Hat-trick | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos