Thursday Feb 23, 2012

Adriaan Fondse's red card punch on big tackling Delon Armitage

Adriaan Fondse's red card punch on big tackling Delon Armitage
Comments

Newcastle’s South African lock Adriaan Fondse has been suspended for one week following a red card he received for punching Delon Armitage last weekend. Armitage himself wasn’t squeaky clean, as he made an ugly looking tackle later in the game.

Fondse will miss Newcastle’s Aviva Premiership game against Leicester Tigers this weekend after he was sent off for a cheap shot jab in the face of a grinning Armitage. Unfortunately the camera angle we got to see didn’t show it too clearly, but it the touchjudge was right there.

A disciplinary hearing was held last night and a one match ban was deemed sufficient.

Armitage, who never seems to be far away from a news headline, caused a bit of a stir later in the game with a big shoulder shot on Newcastle center James Fitzpatrick. It looked quite high and Fitzpatrick took a while to get up, which the Falcons players clearly weren’t too pleased with.

The London Irish fullback escaped punishment at the time, and appears to have not been cited for the incident, which looked fairly similar to the hit he made on Chris Paterson during the World Cup (see related posts below). That tackle earned him a one week suspension.

You can view both the Fondse punch and the Armitage hit in the video below. Do you think the citing officers got this one correct, suspending Fondse for one week and ignoring the Armitage tackle?

22 Comments

rizzo

There is one thing that bugs me about this clip, if you're going to give someone a crack in the teeth and obviously take a red, stand up and do it right, don't just tickle his chin!! especially to a tube like armitage.

guy

Looking more closely it is not even a punch, more a shove to the face. Illegal and stupid by the Fonz.... ...but even more annoying than Armitage being an abolute scumbag and a tool is the fact that guys like him make us rugbyplayers, self proclaimed hard men and top of the sporting world food chain (am I overdoing it allready?) look like sissy's. Above everyting else he deserves a long ban for that alone!!

pretzel

Completely disagree. That tackle was appalling... and those that would say otherwise are a little misguided...

stroudos

By the way, I'd love to know what Armitage said to the Fonz at that ruck!

stroudos

Mate, I'm the world's worst at not leading with the shoulder. Always relying too much on my arms and getting the arm yanked back and frozen shoulder for the next couple if weeks. "Leading with the shoulder simply means you can't just shoulder-barge people like you can in league, (unless you're Gavin Henson). The point here is that Delon doesn't use his arms or shoulders, but just clatters the bloke with an elbow, which is illegal and also quite cuntish, in my opinion.

pretzel

Oh an p.s the hard man enforcer sort of stuff, I disagree with... That punch he threw on a guy scoring a try was nothing that I have seen someone who I would call a hard man do... In fact that enforcer tag is bullshit... take bakkies for instance he is always there to irritate which is fair enough, but a lot of shit he pulls off is just plain thuggery, however he is a "hard" "man" I'll give him that... No one who throws in a cheap shot when someone is scoring comes under hard man for me... and if they were a forward they are in no way an enforcer...

stroudos

I still think he's a classy player. I find it hard to believe players can reach this standard and still have such a shit attitude. Surely a coach or captain should have had a word by now. I'd have expected Mike Catt at Irish to have sat him down at some point and explained to him how much more he could achieve if he didn't act like a cock. I daresay he and others have tried actually, but seem to have been ignored. Funny how there are two posts on RD in quick succession discussing Armitage bros, one full off praise and the other full of derision.

pretzel

I think its like "leading with your shoulder" is in the sense that your arms are tucked back and that they will FLING round when you hit... I mean, when you run into a tackle bag or pad you sort of have your arms in front if you know what i mean... your shoulder still hits first but your arms are already ahead of your shoulder...

stroudos

"Leading with the shoulder" is actually done in almost every tackle. If you didn't you'd injure yourself almost every time. You only have to attempt to wrap the arms. However, leading with the elbow is definitely not allowed!

stroudos

Ha ha, good spot! I think it's that cocky shit-eating grin they share.

pretzel

I don't thing he made Fondse look stupid... he out paced and out stepped him...something which would happen to the majority of locks against a 15 who knows what they're doing... It was well done, I'll give him that... but it still does not (imo) counteract all his stupidity in the past and present... he is a liability..

rufio

Delon, never far for controversy is he!! A great player with great ability & talent, but Booth must be getting a bit tired of him. With his current attitude i doubt he will wear an England shirt again (and rightly so) unless he bucks his ideas up!!

cheyanqui

is it just me or does Armitage bear a resemblance to Cristiano Ronaldo. Or is it that all twats look alike.

cheyanqui

exactly -- looks like a rugby league hit that even in that code would be punished.

pretzel

Just to clarify although I do not like Delon I didn't watch that and think "well because Fondse hit Delon then he should have no punishment." My thoughts were exactly as above "Couldn't have hit a more deserving player!" However I expected a red card for it... there was no scuffle with a punch as far as the touchie is concerned he hit a player who was clearly in no position to fight back.... As for Delon's tackle, someone else said it, it appears he hit with the elbow to the head also, not just a "shoulder". Punishment should not be based on the level of the game, i.e. club or international...it should have easily been a citing!

• Notice: Trying to get property 'data' of non-object in /var/www/html/php/vo/Comment.php on line 19
  • Have to agree with Number 11, idiot for the punch, a nice clean out would have done nicely. Definite yellow for that tackle, worse than the Paterson one in my book. If it had been 6ns or RWC then he'd have been cited already. Don't want Rugby to go all nit picky but some consistency on citing would be nice.

ruggers

fondse could have at least made sure it was a decent punch if he was gonna do it in front of the lines man!

number11

Fondse was an idiot, despite the fact you all seem to hate Armitage, Fondse still deserved the punishment and maybe more if I'm honest. The tackle should have been a yellow I think.

pretzel

The punch couldn't have happened to a more deserving player :) I think Jeff the problem is, we haven't until now really seen Delon get any comeuppance... Bakkies we have seen just get banned so many times it gets a bit boring, Cudmore gets a nice bashing from POC (and a good 85% of the people he starts a fight with do seem to make some contact).. Ashton.. well ROG got under his skin, Manu gave him a clock on the head... But back to Delon... He is such a prick that isn't even THAT good... I mean at least we can argue bakkies brought something in the way of power and idk, he was good in the lineouts etc... but Armitage.. the guy just reeks of "ego" and its nice to see him get a slap up the head! HOWEVER... dumbest punch I've seen in a while... how could that be ruled any differently?!? Delon for all intents and purposes was forming a ruck and not squaring up or shoving or anything... so I can totally see where the red comes from.. Tackle was pure example of why I would like to see Delon get fucked up just a few more times by some big players!

jeff

No fan of Armitage, but booted out of the sport or the dirtiest player in it's history? Seriously? Ever heard of Bakkies Botha? Or Jamie Cudmore? Ashton is equally as dirty, yet nothing about him. He pulled a player to the touchline by his HAIR for Christ's sake. It all needs to be rectified.

ruggernut

I agree with everything everyone has said above. Not to mention that Armitage probably milked it a bit. Even if he didn't he can't complain. He's only getting a fraction of what deals out. That being said, very daft to do it right in front of the touch judge.

patrick

Embarrassing to see that punch as a newcastle fan, properly stupid thing to do

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Training Videos

Player Features

Adriaan Fondse's red card punch on big tackling Delon Armitage | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos