Friday May 9, 2014 Friday Funnies - The Honey Badger's 101 in Aussie Lingo

Friday Funnies - The Honey Badger's 101 in Aussie Lingo
Comments

Some of the South African Western Force players, and their American physio, just can’t get to grips with the Australian lingo since moving Down Under. Luckily for all involved Nick ‘The Honey Badger’ Cummins took it upon himself to help them out.

Dylan Sage and Dillyn Leyds are two Cape Town boys who joined the Force not too long ago. They’ve said that they’re enjoying their time in Perth, loving the weather and rugby, but as you can see, good Aussie blokes like the Badge have to show them their way.

After a quick run down through the body parts for physio Kelsey, Cummins moves on to more pressing examples, with the following rhyming slang proving a bit too tough for the foreigners:

“If I was to: Get on the dog and bone, book a left jab to the billabong, bend the elbow with a few pigs ears and chew a bit of fat with a couple china plates.”

It’s another serving of classic Honey Badger, who we’ve all come to love for his way with words and being the most Australian man in the world. He’s also a pretty decent rugby player.

Thanks to Fox Sports for the laugh. You can view more of the Badge in the Related Posts below

15 Comments

badge

Bru, boet, and boetie are still the rage in SA. Used to hear China a bunch, too. Thats slowed down though

sportsfan1

I believe the Aussie's are much like us Scot's in that respect. C#*t is a term of endearment.

stroudos

SA word = boet. (Afrikaans for bro/bru). Splitting hairs here, but I think you'll find the collective noun for c*%ts is shower - http://therumourmule.wordpress.com/2011/11/24/leveson-nquiry-daily-mail-faces-censure-over-incorrect-collective-noun-in-cunt-jibe/

stroudos

Not as ignorant as you might think mate. I mean apart from being based on facts, I haven't yet met a real-life Strayan who objected to being called a crim. It's all tongue-in-cheek you c*%t.^ ^ (See Jon's comment below)

stroudos

Well Mr Content seems to have got his Alans in a twist below, but other than that my comment seems to have been taken in the manner it was intended!

danknapp

And it begins...

drg

What exactly is ignorant about his well informed comment...

iamaj8

Aussie lingo for "calm down mate, we're all friends here"?

• I doubt he would with you if he read your ignorant comment above.

stroudos

The Badge isn't totally proficient on his rhyming slang though, if it's not too churlish to point out. "A butcher's look" indeed. It's a butcher's hook = a look. And actually using the bit that rhymes? "Let's have a butchers" is sufficient. And his currency's all over the place - what's wrong with a Lady Godiva and an Ayrton Senna? Still, I'd be more than happy to get down the nuclear with him and get a few of those pigs down our gregs together.

stroudos

@moddeur Cockney rhyming slang is still alive and kicking in London in the 21st century, but yes we did export the language of the underclass and criminals along with the underclass criminals.

drg

Thought that after I posted lol..

moddeur

I'm guessing this Aussie lingo is a proud imitation of London rhyming slang (Cockney rhyming slang) from the late 19th and early 20th century.

drg

Oh for the record, I know a billabong is like a still pool or something, I just figured he means the name of something.. unless he does mean go to a still pool.. lol..

drg

Brilliant, at a guess "Get on the dog and bone, book a left jab to the billabong, bend the elbow with a few pigs ears and chew a bit of fat with a couple china plates." means... ..'Get on the phone, book a cab to the billabong (name of pub?)'...bend the elbow with a few pigs ears, I'm guessing pigs ears are 'beers' bend the elbow means drink the beers? and chew a bit of fat with a couple of china plates would surely be: 'Have a chat with a couple of mates... Yeeeeeas! I think I have a fairly good level of pure Aussie gibberish..

Great Tries