Sunday Jun 28, 2015 Hurricanes set up final clash with Highlanders after big win over the Brumbies

Hurricanes set up final clash with Highlanders after big win over the Brumbies
Comments

The Hurricanes will contest their first Super Rugby final since 2006 when they have the Highlanders in Wellington. The ‘Canes beat the Brumbies 29-9 in Saturday’s first semi final, before the Highlanders outplayed the Waratahs in Sydney.

The two leading teams of the 2015 season will lock horns in Wellington as the Hurricanes or Highlanders will etch their name on the Super Rugby trophy for the very first time.

The Hurricanes, who were only beaten twice throughout the regular season on their way to the NZ Conference title, have earned the right to host the decider after winning their sold-out Semi-Final.

The Highlanders will challenge them following a clinical 35-17 victory over the defending champion Waratahs, and next weekend will represent the first all-New Zealand Super Rugby Final since the Crusaders prevailed over the Hurricanes 19-12 in 2006.

The Hurricanes scored tries through Julan Savea, TJ Perenara, Ardie Savea and Matt Proctor, as the Brumbies struggled to contain their attacking ability and power out wide.

“It’s massive for us,” said skipper Conrad Smith of the home advantage in the final. “It was a big motivation for us to know that if we kicked one in tonight we would play here, so it’s a big edge for us.”

credit: Brumbies TV/Le-Rugbynistere

13 Comments

dancarter

Did anyone else see the Pocock turnover where he was being opposed at the ruck so he couldn't quite get hold of the ball? So he just used one hand to roll the ball across the ground into his other free hand and picked it up. Incredibly quick thinking in an unusual situation.

drg

I pride myself on my ability to produce steps big enough to fool backs whilst I'm wearing a shirt with a number anywhere between 4-8... :D I wish I could step that big though... more practice!

eddie-g

Going to be a very good final. As good as the Canes have been, I reckon the Highlanders have been the best team over the last month. Pretty scary gulf between the two of them and especially the SA and Aus sides in the competition.

mise

Great clip - good to see highlights that weren't about the scores. Pocock will be a dominant force in RWC i reckon.

leinstar

Impressed by the graciousness in defeat shown by both Pocock/Moore - both absolutely spot on: quite simply one great team being outplayed by another on the night!

guy

That's why I started to live by my own (interpretation of the) laws. For example: it's ok to dive over a ruck on top of someone half your size but twice your speed and agility (for which I received an official warning after just half a minute last saturday...)

rememberthemer

Grasping at thin air like the poor bastard at 1:10 here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIhaKnm-ggI It's emotionally easier to deal with brutality than that sort of smart-arsery.

stroudos

I bloody hate defending against people like that. I reckon I'd rather get completely steamrollered a-la-Tuilagi/Savea than be left grasping at thin air by some nimble little prick.

rememberthemer

WRT Milner-Skudder, he is one of a new generation of kiwi kids who have developed fearsome steps playing touch and watching Benji Marshall. They've mostly shown up in league so far. If you train yourself to step someone so hard they can't even touch you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-zy6uK62S0 Then, getting past them in zero space is easy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m97ORtN16Fg

rememberthemer

I reckon they'd ping you for side entry, but fair play if you can get away with it. Definitely one of those suck it and see situations.

stroudos

1:15 - only heard of this bloke (Nehe Milner-Skudder) a couple of weeks ago. Seems to have slipped under the radar a bit, but I saw some clips of him now and he seems to be lethal. Outrageous step and speed and always seems to get a good pass away. I hear he's made the All Blacks training squad. Will be a tall order to force his way into the actual team, but he does seem to offer something other players don't. 3:20 - Another Pocock Breakdown Special. It's never occurred to me to try that. I reckon some refs would penalise that because it just looks a bit odd!

kadova

Supporting the Canes too :) They said before the match they would play in JC honour. The final should be great as none of the clubs have won previously.

bunn

My Dad bought me a Hurricanes shirt from a shop in Berwick-upon-Tweed 13 years ago on a rugby tour to the Scottish borders and since then I've had a soft spot for the men from Wellington. Go Canes!

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Training Videos

Player Features

Hurricanes set up final clash with Highlanders after big win over the Brumbies | RugbyDump