Tuesday Jan 22, 2013

Ian Keatley clearance kick hits Wayne Barnes square in the face

Ian Keatley clearance kick hits Wayne Barnes square in the face
Comments

Referee Wayne Barnes was in the thick of the action at Thomond Park at the weekend. The English referee sent off a Racing Metro player early in the game, then just five minutes later took the full force of an Ian Keatley clearance kick, in the face.

As reported yesterday, Barnes showed Racing Metro flanker Antoine Battut a red card just five minutes in for a knee to the head of one of the Munster players as they lay at the bottom of a ruck.

Battut has since been cited, and will appear before a disciplinary hearing in Dublin on 24 January.

After a fairly controversial start to the game, a few minutes later it was all smiles as Barnes found himself a little too close the action, and as a result, nearly swallowed his whistle.

Ian Keatley’s clearance kick smashed him square in the face, knocking the referee to the floor and rebounding about 20m downfield as Barnes sat in disbelief on the floor.

He took some time to recover after being attended to by medical staff, and when asked if he could remember everything, he was heard saying “There’s a few things I’d like to forget.”

When later asked if he was okay, he quipped “We’ll find out when I start running!”

This type of clip would usually be saved for our Friday Funnies, but it’s too good to not share. Enjoy.

There was a very similar incident a few years ago in club rugby in Australia, where the referee was knocked out cold at point blank range by a clearing kick. View that here

20 Comments

corrie

It is OK he is English he deserves it.

seagrove

This would have been amazing with ref cam!

benny

Since 2011 I think we've gotten over it but it's still a reflex to smile when we this video. And yes, the French are just as upset about Joubert (go youtube and check some of the comments about the final), although maybe not as much as the saffers about Bryce

reality

My reaction was, "That is an absolutely brilliant kick! (Unless he wasn't aiming for him of course)".

drg

good shot lol

stroudos

I actually like Wayne Barnes, I think he's one of the best refs out there and the majority of people who complain about him are still squeezing out the last drops of their sour grapes. However, pissed myself laughing at him being taken out here - can't believe it hit with him with enough force to knock him over! Have to say though, that is an absolutely terrible kick!! (Unless he was aiming for him of course).

stroudos

But it wasn't a forward pass! *Throws grenade, takes cover*

stubby

having had a soccer ball do the same thing to me in high school, i truly sympathize. and I had braces!

jimter10

the kiwis were loving this yesterday, they were still talking about the 2007 world cup. seeing as forward passes are one of the cornerstones of their game, i can't believe how one sided they see it. so he made one (big) mistake, i think he's one of the best out there. by the way, anyone know if the french bitch as much about joubert as the kiwis do about barnes?

silky

"Avit"

• Notice: Trying to get property 'data' of non-object in /var/www/html/php/vo/Comment.php on line 19
  • Hilarious, great to see he's okay about it. His eyes are watering, he must have taken it straight on the nose. That's the worst.

technomouse

Amusing clip. Don't get the hate on Barnes though, I'm a fan of him as a ref, generally makes good calls and always backs himself with his decision and is clear with the players. There are other refs I'd prefer this to happen to, I guess is what I'm saying!

technomouse

s_conner

Barnes took it well, probably a bit tougher than he looks.

• A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. couldn't have deserved it more. Surprised he didn't yellow card the player for it. My most hated ref!

guy

Some pretty pathetic comments allready; good to see that there is still so much respect for our referees.

sam00skelo

If only Keatley had kicked it just a bit harder... If only if only..

nickb

The game is stopped and a scrum restart awarded to the team that was in possession before the ref got his fat head in the way

riggler

Penalty Try surely!!

• I think pretty much every player in the whole game will be smiling after seeing that. Who would not like seeing this pretentious man getting walloped?

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Training Videos

Player Features

Ian Keatley clearance kick hits Wayne Barnes square in the face | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos