RugbyDump RugbyDump
Monday Mar 7, 2016

Manu Tuilagi makes another two huge hits against Exeter Chiefs

Manu Tuilagi makes another two huge hits against Exeter Chiefs
Comments

We’ve featured Manu Tuilagi regularly of late, as recently as last week after he made a punishing hit on Blair Cowan. There are calls for him to return to the England team, however Leicester Tigers boss Richard Cockerill says it’s still too early.

Tuilagi made his return to action a few weeks ago and has shown decent form. He was involved in another big tackle in that match, on Winston Stanley, however he was penalised for the hit.

Against Exeter Chiefs this past weekend Tuilagi was throwing himself about as usual, first with a cracking hit on fullback Phil Dollman, then an almighty tackle on England lock Geoff Parling.

Tuilagi also got himself a well taken first half try, and was in the pack for another.

Cockerill has said that he would rather keep the Samoan-born star for a bit longer, but understands that the decision ultimately lies with Eddie Jones and England Rugby.

“Manu did some good things today but I don’t think he is ready to play Test rugby. Even if you put him on the bench to be an impact player for the last half an hour, what happens if you have to put him on after five minutes?

“He is probably five or six games away from being fully fit to play 80 minutes of Test rugby,” Cockerill explained. “I’d love to keep him and look after him so we can manage his training week. At the moment he is not doing a full week’s training because we need to save his load for game day.

“In a Test environment it’s more difficult. Manu has still not played a huge amount of rugby after 15 months out of the game. He wants to be back in the mix. Whether that’s right is for me and Eddie to have a discussion but, ultimately, it will be England’s decision.”

Exeter picked up a crucial losing bonus point, but the home side won 31-27 at Welford Road.

View the big tackles below and then the match highlights below that

21 Comments

drg

Actually tbf, I missed the last half, so I didn't really see the point where the Welsh decided to wake up. But I did hear people say, had the game gone on longer the Welsh would have probably won it...

drg

Those big Welsh hitters didn't really pull out a win against those little small hitting Englishmen though now did they....

drg

So in your infinite wisdom, what you're trying to say is that because I tend to put big hits that means I am a SH player? YES!

10stonenumber10

In Samoa it doesn't matter how old you are, if you walk onto the pitch, you are old enough. "Touch" doesn't exist. Smash or be smashed. Admittedly an 11 year old Manu was probably bigger than most 16 year old Englishmen, but he was a baby in Samoa playing with people a whole lot bigger than in the premiership. I played up a year at junior school because I had an older brother to spar with, I was his tackle bag when he learned rugby, he became mine

drg

Probably much like the situation I had briefly experienced... Just carried it on through to adult life...

stroudos

To answer your question, DrG, Manu Tuilagi moved to England in 2004, aged 13. Played for Hinckley U14s, must have joined more or less on arrival. Would have had a few years of contact rugby as a boy in Samoa I guess, and I imagine that once he arrived in England at a presumably much larger size than his contemporaries, a lot of the kids he played against would have been cannon fodder.

drg

Genetic influence on body shape which further influences technique? Or perhaps, Henry: "come on baby brother, you're tackling like an Englishman...*SMASH*... THIS is how us big boys tackle"

10stonenumber10

I don't know if it can be put down to genetics. I mean, I'm Italian, that should be +5 Attack, +5 Vision and +3 Control stats wise for 5-a-side, yet here we are 0 from 3 at the bottom of the table with a goal difference reminiscent of my overdraft at uni

drg

I don't actually know when Manu moved from Samoa to England, or how long he spent in Samoa over a period of time, but it makes me wonder if it's got something to do with his heritage, Samoans hitting hard is as common as British rain, inconsistent refereeing and French playing clean rugby (maybe not the last one...), but I guess it begs the question on whether taking the boy out of Samoa, takes the Samoa out of the boy.... Maybe he's had a lot of throw abouts with the older brothers or something... or perhaps because of his sheer size it makes him quite lazy, in the technical aspects. I remember at colt level, I was fairly big, and running around with smaller lighter people meant I could sort of grab them or knock them and I generally achieved what I was after... when I stepped up to senior level, I suddenly realised that I was quite light and certainly not the biggest on the field... it meant I have to consider my technique a lot more.. Maybe Manu is missing that aspect being one of the quicker guys on the field and with that weight behind him...

drg

I hope you've not just realised this about Cockerill..... Being a famous sportsman doesn't mean you're particularly good with the media as is noted with many post match interviews from a lot of different players - there sportsmen (and women), they're not reporters, or media spokesmen (and women)...at least not primarily anyway... Cockers is the sort of bloke who is probably a brilliant coach etc, but he's hardly the most reasonable or two eyed blokes out there.

stroudos

Agree with all of that and the last paragraph is a beauty. :)

heavyhooker

I said this on the post a few days ago, Manu is at most a 50/50 probability on proper technique. The first hit has zero style or correct form. He had plenty of time and setup to carry out a proper tackle that would have been a real crusher and probably ended up with better ball possession. Why that first hit was even allowed is beyond me. One day I hope he matures. My mantra is for juniors is to watch how this fool plays as a lesson in how not to play rugby.

10stonenumber10

On a side note, what does Adam Thompstone need to do to get a look in? No nonsense sort of winger, powerful Ben Cohen/Iain Dowling sort of game He was a beast at Irish, then had an unfortunate leg break... he went to Leicester as a bigger, smarter, faster player and seems to be scoring at quite a rate. For a big guy he looks agile, maybe not as flash or quick as Yarde and Nowell, but he certainly knows where the try line is.

10stonenumber10

Cockers shouldn't be allowed near a microphone until he can use big boy words and sentences. I think Leicester have realised they need some points through the 6N, what better way than to have Manu run over the other teams sans internationals? The reality is that in the new culture, he is not an 80 minute England International. Now the team have options, Leicester don't want to lose their star to a bench spot That JDV bloke looks quite handy, has he played before? I'm sure Tuilagi could learn a thing or two and come back to the England squad a different kind of animal

jamesste

He could have slowed down just slightly to control his tackle and maybe would have been able to poach the ball as well. Turns out he was lucky the ball fell into his hands after the collision.

jamesste

I agree with stroudos on the first tackle, Manu needs to look into an American Football franchise if that is how he wants to play. It was an illegal no-wrap tackle. He was lucky the ball fell into his hands after the hit.

guy

I can see where you come from but I'm not sure Tuilagi could have done anything to avoid this. He comes in pretty low, Dollman also goes low and decides to step sideways at the very last moment. But then again, the tackler has a responsibility for the safety of the ball carrier. Long story short: glad noone was hurt.

bunn

The first one is American football style and why they get so many concussions! And Cockers has been on a PR campaign for the whole 6 nations to stop Manu getting called up. He even had de Villiers saying the same thing in the BBC's rugby program

xenophile

I take serious issue with that first challenge. There was minimal attempt to wrap, and if you slow the clip down to .25 speed you see Tuilagi's head come into direct contact with Dollmans head side on. The impact head to head could cause serious injury and is very dangerous. I understand the game happens at incredible speed and there may not have been malice intended, however, if World Rugby is trying to minimize head injuries, this is exactly the type of thing thing that needs closer monitoring.

danknapp

Agreed. I came below the line to make the same point and saw you'd beaten me to it. Much more impressive to see him put a big hit in on a forward. "MASSIVE CENTRE SMASHES FULLBACK WAITING UNDER A HIGHBALL" doesn't really make for the most exciting headline.

stroudos

Not entirely happy with the first one. I think you really should make a bit more of an "attempt to grasp" the player when tackling, rather than simply running full tilt and clattering him. I suppose if someone bounces off you so fast that it is physically impossible to grasp him...... Either way, he showed nice reflexes there to regather the ball and set it up. Second tackle is an absolute beauty. Not sure I agree with Cockers. I get where he's coming from but this "what if someone gets knocked out in the fifth minute and Tuilagi has to play 75 mins?" argument seems a little bit hysterical. The most likely way he'll be used is 20-30 minutes running around smashing tired Welshmen. I think it's abundantly clear that he's ready for that!

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Training Videos

Player Features

Manu Tuilagi makes another two huge hits against Exeter Chiefs | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos