Tuesday Oct 15, 2013

Massive 30-man fight in Georgia's top league in Tbilissi

Massive 30-man fight in Georgia's top league in Tbilissi
Comments

This wild brawl took place in Georgia’s top league recently when Ilia Uni Jikebi and Lelo met in Tbilissi. It started with a little push and shove, but soon every player from both sides was involved, with it spilling over to the sidelines, where it’s possible others joined in.

Ugly scenes and hopefully not something we see again any time soon. Amongst all the chaos, there was a big tackle though, so that’s kind of rugby, right? Who knows where the ball was though.

The quality of the video isn’t amazing so if anyone knows of a better quality version, or has more info on the outcome or repercussions, get in touch and we’ll get it posted.

24 Comments

stroudos

"saying that none of it continued beyond the game is stupid" What, even if none of it continued beyond the game?

flanker2712

Can you point out which video and at what time? I don't see any brotherhood in either video!

matt

I don't know, but there must have been a few in there, hands arent made for punching, my point was that saying that none of it continued beyond the game is stupid, because the consequences often do. Great fight though

stroudos

I've got a better example - the much-celebrated and admired "99 call" from the 1974 Lions tour. I suppose the game's changed a lot since then...

macmurchu

Ha better than the original! What brought you to that game in the first place?

drg

Because no one in domestic rugby in any other country has had a big scrap: http://www.rugbydump.com/2013/09/3400/treviso-and-scarlets-halfbacks-sinbinned-after-push-and-shove-sparks-fight http://www.rugbydump.com/2013/09/3411/mass-brawl-between-arka-gdynia-and-budowlani-lodz-in-poland http://www.rugbydump.com/2013/05/3181/mass-brawl-in-french-second-division-playoff-between-pau-and-la-rochelle http://www.rugbydump.com/2011/11/2259/romana-graham-his-dad-and-a-spectator-fight-it-out-in-2009 ....and that's all I can be arsed to post... search for yourself, as soon as you sieve through the hundreds of French fights you'll find others haha

drg

Who broke some bones?

drg

Totally agree with Stroudos and The Guest here, no idea where a lot of you are getting your information about communities being destroyed, disagreements before the matches etc etc??? Excuse my language but to put it bluntly, it was a fucking punch up guys.... get over it. Not pretty, but would you rather bury your heads and pretend they don't exist. Lets face it, you walk onto the pitch every Saturday, you have no idea whether some clown might start swinging at you, it wouldn't be nice but don't pretend it couldn't happen. What you're all hinting at is a "clean rugby" where mummy won't be afraid to let her little boy join in because it is a "nice, gentle sport"... I'm not saying I'd enjoy any of these punches coming my way, but at least I'm aware that things CAN flair up.

drg

It is something that happened during a rugby game. Does RD need to publicise kicks gone wrong? De Villiers pushing an Argie into a moat and holding him by his ankle so he doesn't crack his head? Nick Easter's catch fail attempt? other "friday funnies"? No, they don't, but they're all interesting things that happened in the game we love..

drg

..well I thought it was a damn good punch up..

connachtman

Old School!

stroudos

But it doesn't seem to be something other than what happened during the match. this fight was sparked by an over-reaction by red #1 to a shove from yellow #23, itself a result of mistaken identity. It all escalated to a level most of us would agree is unacceptable. But as The guest points out, in classic rugby style it's all done and dusted at the final whistle. A problem I see all the time in amateur football (soccer) is that the disagreements on the pitch have a tendency to spill over to "real-life", with people threatening each other in the clubhouse and car park. This is my opinion is worse - at the end of the day it is just a game. To date I've never seen these clubhouse/carpark disagreements happen in rugby.

stroudos

Judging from the comments above, it looks like this could be an unpopular view, but I quite enjoyed that! RD you mention there were two yellows, but not who for. Personally I'd have carded red #1 and yellow #23 and let the rest of it go. Bit of mistaken identity at the start where yellow 23 is bundled over by a red player. yellow 23 assumes it's red 1 as he's closest when he gets up. Bit of a shove as he goes past but nothing in it. Red 1 then goes mental and starts the whole thing off. His reaction to yellow 23 was totally disproportionate and I was actually quite pleased to see yellow 23 deck him later on, (textbook punch around 0:40), especially as even that still seemed to be in self-defence. Other than that, beautiful tackle on him (Y23) just after that punch. Oh and there's a lifting tackle at 0:44 - I'd probably have just had a word, but if we're applying proper IRB directives that's a yellow too......

windeeno

Such wretched behavior! It's the type of thing that perpetuates the stigma of what is a sport of excellence. The sheer strength and athleticism of the games are majestic. The faces of the warriors are visible...it smacks of the arena in our collective ancient memory. Something about is primal...which unfortunately invites the type of over-boiling passion (from deep cultural conflict just under the surface) depicted. I feel bad for any children watching. Those grown men should be ashamed of setting such a poor example. The pitch should be for war, but there should be a limit to respect the game. On the other hand, could it be better to froth it up on the pitch, then leave it there...letting the contest of wills under somewhat controlled circumstances, rather than to take up arms and rip apart communities (again)?

stripe

Somebody had a crack.... :|

cheyanqui

in my country there is problem...

drg

Good job the referee had his whistle to blow...

matt

Broken bones and concussions continue beyond the game, which is fair enough if they were caused legitimately, but this is silly.

seanydoyle

I was at the game also.... and made a video of the last 50 seconds.... here it is in HD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XAMcNs4SGQ and although both teams were 'hugging' at the end I had 2 major problems with this: 1. Depite the fact most of the players on the park were throwing punches, which should be an instant red card, there was only 2 yellow cards shown!?!? 2. There was a large number of children at the game and it doesnt set a good example of what rugby is about to these kids! However, apart from that it was a good game, played in good spirit apart from the brawl and the Georgian people are great craic and excellent hosts! Just think they need to get stricter on the teams, ban players and dock points off the clubs and then it wouldn't happen!

finedisregard

RD, I think this is noteworthy. Please continue to post stuff like this and any crazy or unusual rugby clips you find from all over the world. Highlights are great but lowlights are interesting too. Thanks!

• Notice: Trying to get property 'data' of non-object in /var/www/html/php/vo/Comment.php on line 19
  • I have to strongly disagree, if these thugs have a problem with each other, and it seems to be something other than what happened during the match, then i have no problem with them sorting it out before or after the game, in some parking lot, prison cell or anywhere as long as they don't affect others or in this case drag the game and name of rugby through the shit!!

danknapp

Where the hell would you even start? Poor ref.

forever-uuc-rugby

Sort that one out ref lol

pierre

I love rugby and all aspects of this great game that I love. I fully understand that this is an physical game and temper do flair but in this level of violence should be dealt with severely. I like the occasional punch up and handbag been thrown but if I had anything to do with this clubs management or coaching staff, none of these players will ever play for my team again.

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Training Videos

Player Features

Massive 30-man fight in Georgia's top league in Tbilissi | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos