Thursday Apr 3, 2014

Rugby HQ's Top 5 Biggest Hitters in Super Rugby history

Rugby HQ's Top 5 Biggest Hitters in Super Rugby history
Comments

Super Rugby is known for it’s expansive rugby, fast paced game and of course, the big hits. Over the years there have been a number of players that have stood out for their ability, and penchant for the big tackle. Here are the Top 5, as compiled by Sean Maloney and the Fox Sports team.

View these and more in the Related Posts below, and in our Big Hits & Dirty Play section

8 Comments

katman

No Willem Alberts in that list?

vannrugby

There are many players who could be in this list, but I would like to remember the greatest big hitter of all time. He never played in Super Rugby, but he was an outstanding 7's player and quite good at XV's as well. I'm talking of course about Viliame "The Stretcher" Satala!

badge

I always appreciate players looking out for each other and taking the time put somebody in the recovery position. However, I do feel it best to just let the medical staff handle anything related to an injured player. I'd rather be without air for a few seconds than be rolled with broken or cracked vertebrae.

darabman

Not so sure about the 'sporting' gesture of putting your opponent in the recovery position. Could easily be read as "Aw didn't mean to smash ya one bru! Here best make ya comfy for when the parries get here huehuehue" If you're really concerned then best move in my opinion is to signal to the ref to stop play, or head over after the fact and apologise to him properly.

iamaj8

The man's got a point, Jerry Collins is a glaring miss! Also thought The Chiropractor Lima had a rather underwhelming montage here, considering the legendary brutal nature of his game!

drg

Great selections and great video as usual. I would actually love some input from any professional rugby medical staff on players putting other players into the recovery position... I doubt we'd get anything from the comment section, but I honestly think it might be something that needs to be addressed to the rugby community. Obviously we have 2 outcomes, the guy lying flat on his back out cold ends up with his airway blocked when he is not in the recovery position, or the guy with a neck injury gets it made worse by being put into the recovery position...

stroudos

Can't argue with Mau'u being number 1 on here. He has made some incredible hits. I love the last one where the guy almost looks like he's holding up the ball in surrender - "sod it mate, here you go, have the bloody thing!!"

fatprop

I thought Burger could have been here

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Training Videos

Player Features

Rugby HQ's Top 5 Biggest Hitters in Super Rugby history | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos