Scores
Sorry there are no live games.
See what's coming up.
3 Aug
5:15am
RugbyDump RugbyDump
Saturday Feb 4, 2017

Scotland leave it late to beat Ireland in thrilling Six Nations opener

Scotland leave it late to beat Ireland in thrilling Six Nations opener
Comments

Greig Laidlaw kicked two late penalties to see the Scots over the line in the first game of the 2017 Six Nations, but the star of the match was full back Stuart Hogg, who scored a superb brace in a spell-binding opening half.

Ireland hit back from a 14-0 deficit to touch down through Keith Earls, but Scotland out-muscled and out-smarted their opponents.

This was no better demonstrated than Alex Dunbar’s utterly bizarre try. The centre joined the 5m line-out in true Barbarians style, gathered the ball from Ross Ford’s throw and barged over to score a try that completely bamboozled the Irish defence.

Laidlaw was on terrific form from the kicking tee and slotted three difficult touchline conversions to hand Scotland an incredulous 21-8 half-time lead.

Ireland’s comeback was just as impressive and they came out firing in the second half. Before they could draw breath, Scotland were down a score as Iain Henderson found the perfect body position to sneak over for the try.

Paddy Jackson then broke a half tackle to grab a crucial score that took Ireland into the lead for the first time in the match. From then on, the momentum and luck was firmly with Joe Schmidt’s side.

While Scotland didn’t score any more tries in the last quarter, they began to get the rub of the green and two vital penalties from Laidlaw saw the home side edge an ultra-tight encounter, completely blowing apart the tournament on the opening weekend.

Dunbar’s try in particular was a humourous post-match talking point. Scotland head coach Vern Cotter said: “I had nothing to do with it. It was Jonathan Humphreys who came up with it.

“I think we tried it a few years ago and it didn’t work out. But if the guys have the confidence to come up with these moves and do it in the game, I’m happy.”

Extended highlights of this entertaining match below (18 mins)

half.

10 Comments

steve_c
    8:20 PM 07/02/2017

Here's a 14 man lineout from 1999 World Cup - Ireland vs Argentina https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ86PiVp8rg&t=1h38m07s

oliver
    8:33 AM 07/02/2017

the thing is, the 3 backs replaced forwards. If I remember right, there were 8 players: a normal line out but with 9/11/12 replacing forwards!

mastersa
    9:18 PM 06/02/2017

Great game! Scotland nulified probably the best back three in the championship in the first half double tackling Heaslip and Stander in particular. Ireland were sloppy and defending narrow probably to protect 10 in Sextons absence. Great comeback but Scotland made every score hard earned. Shame a harsh penalty on Jackson settled it, but in fairness in favour of deserved winners.

drg
    9:12 PM 06/02/2017

Brilliant game, I couldn't believe how silent the Scots made the Irish in the first half... However, I think the second half must have been terrifying for the Scottish fans and team. I think pound for pound Ireland would still get ahead, but clearly not by far. I think Scotland are making their own luck now, they realised the Irish were not clinical enough and went hell for leather to take the points when it mattered most. Some lovely rugby played! I think being on the receiving end of some Irish push definitely tested the Scots discipline, they need to watch out on their penalty count further into the tournament. Also the tackle count was incredible. If Jonny Gray didn't get noticed for the Lions with his performance defensively then I don't know what else he could do.

10stonenumber10
    8:13 PM 06/02/2017

Get a 7s player. We jump, can throw the line out, lift, catch, and act as 'scrum half'

ruckinmaul
    4:41 PM 06/02/2017

I think before this, there are rules or limitations for players in the lineout, but so far during my playing days, the past 10 years, there are no limitation for players in the lineout.

danknapp
    4:18 PM 06/02/2017

Scotland were undoubtedly the team of the first round. As you say, it's great to see them starting to get the rewards of playing a more adventurous style of rugby. Now if only we can convince the Welsh to follow suit...

danknapp
    4:17 PM 06/02/2017

Attacking team sets the number of players, it can be 14 men if they so wish. Don't think there are limits. Wales put in a lineout with about 10 players once, against the ABs I think. I think more teams would do it if they weren't worried about leaving themselves open defensively.

welshblue
    3:28 PM 06/02/2017

In all the years in watching rugby I've never seen 3 backs in a line out, but I'm not sure *why* I haven't seen backs in a line out. Does anyone know the rules around this?

oliver
    11:28 AM 06/02/2017

Brilliant game! Makes the tournament even more open. Also glad to see Scotland finally reap the benefits of their spirited play. As for that Dunbar try, it's even better if the players came up with that! I think there were actually 3 backs in that line-out?! Definitely something I'd never seen before.

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Amateur

Player Features

Scotland leave it late to beat Ireland in thrilling Six Nations opener | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos