RugbyDump RugbyDump
Monday Jan 8, 2018

Clermont debutant Samuel Ezeala recovering in hospital after brutal tackle

Clermont debutant Samuel Ezeala recovering in hospital after brutal tackle
Comments

Clermont winger Samuel Ezeala has had a rough start to his club rugby career. The teenager was knocked out cold after a nasty head clash with Racing 92’s Virimi Vakatawa. Thankfully, he seemed fine on Monday, flashing a smile and a thumbs-up from his hospital bed.

The incident occured just under an hour into the match, as Racing were enjoying a 39-6 lead.

The Elusive Vakatawa broke free and made a run of several metres before being met by Ezeala, who turned 18 just last month, in a collision that left the youngster sprawled out on the ground.

The next few moments were somewhat unsettling as training staff came out and even held up sheets as they began assisting Ezeala. Shortly after, he was carted off the field.

Thankfully, Clermont has issued a statement saying that Ezeala’s MRI scan was clear and there was nothing to worry about. He should be free to return to the club on Tuesday. Vakatawa visited him in hospital, giving him a French jersey and posing for a photo.

Earlier he had tweeted:

“I was not planning to hurt you today my brother,im sorry. Speed recovery and hope to see you back on the field soon. God Bless You my brother”

As for the rest of the match, things continued to go downhill for Clermont as the champs went down by the shocking final score of 58-6.

Credit: Gorpitsen Rugby

10 Comments

dancarter

I think the norm is just to expose the patient to allow a complete medical examination. With blunt trauma like this, the concern is a spinal injury. You need to examine for this, but obviously you can't keep their C-spine held still while they take their shirt off so they just cut it off.

reality

Vakatawa actually jumped a little bit into the tackle. That increase in power that gives obviously didn't help Ezeala.

• Notice: Trying to get property 'data' of non-object in /var/www/html/php/vo/Comment.php on line 19
  • I seem to recall that too. I think it's an unfair advantage for the ball carrier though. I can understand if the tackler is going high but many times, as happenend in this instance, the ball carrier actually crouches down to deliver the blow.

drg

Ah you're right, I didn't notice it the first time, I see it's still on his right shoulder! I did suspect that he had all the extra gear due to being unresponsive but I've never seen that before, it looks frightening, but I guess it's all for positive reasons...

jbishop

You can see at the end, as he's stretchered off, that the shirt isn't completely removed but hanging around his neck. Obviously to stick on the heart-monitor and probably other machinery. Looks like a precausion for knocked-out players (in France?) that do not immediately react when spoken to... Good to see he's doing well again and great sportsmanship on Vakatwa for seeing him in hospital afterwards.

drg

Is that just an off the cuff comment regarding this incident or your view on how the laws are being applied, because there has been occasions where the ball carrier has been carded, I believe a Canadian player last year (or maybe year before) fell victim..

• if you are the ball carrier you can use your elbows and forearm to strike the head of the tackler but if the tackler did that to he ball carrier he would be red-carded and suspended.

drg

Bloody hell that was frightening seeing the sheets go up. I wonder what this did to Vakatawas emotions? I notice that Ezealas shirt was removed, anyone know any more details as to what all their reasoning with this was? I've never seen this sort of 'show' on a rugby pitch before, looks like the sort of scene you'd get at a car accident!

facepalm

So many sickening head injuries since players became freakish balls of mass. I like the calls to reduce the number of substitutions a lot. I think that would definitely make players lose mass to make the 80 minutes. I would personally like it if tactical substitutions were banned altogether. And I can see this happening in the not so distant future. I also know from personal experience that steroids are a very real problem. Players taking them to put on superhuman size before going pro so they don't get tested. A dark aspect of our sport that gets little attention (and can't be good for player welfare). This needs to be looked at. Either way the rugby world would do better to engage more seriously with Allyson Pollock's concerns. Ironically, the person who is trying to destroy rugby could ultimately save the game we love.

colombes

Frightening, Ezeala position was bad, but the shock on the ground didn't help. This KO could reopen the debate on the "hardness" of the new synthetic turfs.

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Training Videos

Player Features

Clermont debutant Samuel Ezeala recovering in hospital after brutal tackle | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos