Monday Feb 26, 2018

Comments

While losing to Scotland for the first time in ten years will weigh heavily over the England squad, they now have to wait and see if Owen Farrell will face punishment for the scuffle in the tunnel before kick-off. We’ve got new footage of the incident.

Six Nations Rugby will investigate what actually happened after BBC cameras picked up on the pre-match skirmish and it was then shown and discussed in studio at halftime.

“Six Nations Rugby will be writing to the unions to request clarification on what happened in the tunnel,” said a statement on Sunday. The explanations from the Rugby Fooball Union (RFU) and Scottish Rugby Union (SRU) will determine the next steps.

Farrell could be seen charging into the tunnel after both sets of players had completed their warm-up prior to the match, that Scotland won 25-13, kicking off.

In this new footage that we’ve kindly been sent, you can see how Farrell tried to weave through the Scotland players, but then appeared to push them aside with little respect.

Unfortunately that’s when the video ended, but it gives you an idea of how it looked from that angle, as Scotland’s Ryan Wilson in particular took exception to what went on.

England coach Eddie Jones commented after the match that he did not know about it, while Scotland skipper John Barclay played down the incident, saying that he had only heard about it.

“I heard about it but I am always the first off the pitch after the warm-up and I was in the toilets. It is one of those things that gets built up into something more than it was. It is a big game and a big rivalry. It was niggly and physical with a lot on the line.”

credit: rawrugby/bbc/davejamieson

27 Comments

drg

Shouldn't hang onto a charging locks shirt.... Cowan deserved it...

jimmy23

Well we can complain about Farrell winding people all we like but at least he isn't dirty, unlike Bakkies "I'll head-butt the back of Jimmy Cowen's head" Botha.

thefrontrow

I stand corrected. In a way I'm pleased to hear that, if you're going to push and shove at least don't discriminate between the little guys and the brutes... Just be prepared to take your medicine.

aj3

I reckon he would shove Bakkies Botha given a chance - but the question is: Would Bakkies Botha notice?

drg

He does mix it up with the bigger lads though, regarding Botha, if you're talking Bakkies? I reckon he'd front up to him, he wouldn't stand a chance if it came to it, but I reckon he backs himself..

oliver

Ok, you got me. I'll suspend him only for a week or so. He can come back, well.....after the Paris game!!

jimmy23

If it actually got really violent there would be more about it, this is just another example of how a lot of the media like to blow things out of proportion to make things seem more exciting than they are. Maybe it's not an excuse, but read Dr.G's comment and you can see why it may have come to that. Put yourself in that environment and imagine if someone was giving one of your teammates shit before the game even started, can you honestly say you would stand by? A lot of people can't stand Farrell. He used to be very petulant but I think he's cleaned up his act a lot. It's been a long time since he's done anything like this and it was arguably in defence of a teammate. I'm not saying I would excuse this if it were to happen at every single game, but it's a one off incident that hasn't really amounted to anything. So I don't see the point in acting like it's a crime against the sport.

oliver

A : we don't know what happened after the vid ended. B: what anyone said is irrelevant. Something said is not an excuse to get physical. C: sorry but I can't help it, I can't stand Farrell....

thefrontrow

@ aj4. I wonder if he'd be so generally pushy with the South Africans (no offence to any Scottsmen here). Can't imagine him trying that on Du Plessis or Botha. Or the French.

jimmy23

Jesus, what the flip happened to my English there?! Edit: How do we know it wasn't something to do with what that player said to Ford?

jimmy23

If it was a full on punching match, I would agree, but it was a bit of pushing and nothing more. Again, how do we know it wasn't something to do with what that player saying something for Ford?

drg

....I think International rugby and professional rugby is good at making itself look bad without any aid from the players... This was no more than a shoving match before; arguably, one of those most rivalrous matches in rugby history.. England Vs Scotland in one form or another has been a 'thing' for well over 1000yrs..this match was just another chapter in that long history, England came into the game off the back of a very good record both against Scotland and also since Eddie Jones became coach, Scotland have been firing hard but missing their mark quite a lot, this was their chance to hit the bullseye dead on...the crowd were amped.. the whole thing was a boiling pot.. Also, consider the end to the game, hugs between teams, hand shakes all round... I'd say scuffles when a match is over is far more damaging than a scuffle before the match..

oliver

seriously? having a scuffle break out between two national teams, in pro sports, before the game even starts, is not insignificant. Makes all rugby players look bad IMO.

thefrontrow

Whether his petulance/aggression is calculated or not - good on the Scottsman for manhandling him. Too many guys niggle and niggle these days without consequence. While this is a poor show of sportsmanship from Farrell this still all seems like a bit of a storm in a teacup.

the_osprey

Doesn't look like anything much. But I hate his attitude - him and Brown bring England, and the sport, down a lot. They should get lessons on how to be real men from guys like Dallaglio and Wilkinson.

aristotlearmstrong

Don't know about needing one - but he certainly often comes across as one.

drg

I think you're making more of a deal... he's a knob sure, but I'd say his 'petulance' is calculated... he knows it winds people up... And to be fair to him, he's not afraid of the big boys...whereas you might get the likes of ROG being a bit of a cock sometimes, he's not going to willingly get himself into it with many...

drg

Agree with you on a whole, it was fun to see *controversy* but it was a bit nothing... You're right about it looking like something being said to Ford... I guess we'll never know the full details.. maybe nothing much was said but "have a good game lad" or something like that, but Farrell may have thought he doesn't want anyone chatting to his playmaker...

moo

Not just as a youngster, it seems... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-3UbAPs5As

moo

His old man was a hot-head as a youngster also.

jimmy23

Meh, people are making a big deal out of something insignificant I think. If there was a reason he did it it's probably something to do with whatever that Scottish player said to Ford.

aj3

ha ha - nice.

aj3

Hes a good player but such a petulant kid. If you watch the reply of Scotland first try he pushes finn Russell over after the attempted tackle. Nothing in it particularly just general unsporting petulance. Same with the push on laidlaw 2 years ago. Always repected his old man - him, less so.

flanker2712

John Barclay should be able to confirm that.

colombes

He's always been a bit pushy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoiiVC38Y0Q

drg

Maybe he needed a shit?

peetwindhoek

Stupid, why do that?

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Training Videos

Player Features

New footage shows moment Owen Farrell pushed Scotland players in the tunnel before kick-off | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos