Tuesday Jan 23, 2018

Two Referees do the unthinkable and admit they made mistakes

Two Referees do the unthinkable and admit they made mistakes
Comments

This past weekend we saw two similar instances of referees making mistakes in high profile matches, and then, beleive it or not, admitting that they were wrong. Both situations were excellently handled, and it was great to see the humility on show.

During the Pool 2 Champions Cup clash between Clermont and Ospreys, referee JP Doyle showed class in conceding that he had mistakenly called a forward pass that never actually happened.

The look on Alexandre Lapandry’s face said it all.

Many officials would perhaps see, yet never acknowledge, their mistake. This was not the case for Doyle, who can be heard saying: “My fault, my fault. It happens… It was a mistake. We all make them.”

And though he didn’t reverse the call, he was at least willing to admit the error.

Referee Luke Pearce, however, went one better when he overturned a knock-on decision in the Montpellier vs Leinster match. He must have got the call from his touch judge or perhaps saw the big screen TV replay, but either way, he then reversed the call.

“Fellas, it’s quite obvious I made a mistake there… my fault, I got it wrong,” he said.

For those of you that constantly clash with referees, cherish the moment.

Credit: devinZA

8 Comments

weejockmcplop

Actually he can reverse the decision after viewing the replays on the screen shown by the TV producers. Precedent was set when Stuart Hogg was yellow carded and then brought back on the pitch to be shown a straight Red.

weejockmcplop

So if JO is such a good referee in recognising he made a mistake, why did he not re-start with a scrum to Clermont. It's good that he acknowledge the mistake but not that he didn't re-start with a scrum to Clermont

rdump0

Yes, here's the rule: Ref makes a mistake, admits it, and then reverses his own decision or not depending on which side is french ;))

drg

So he's basically saying "ok lads from the TV producers replays on the screen we can see I made a mistake, but as I cannot officially review a decision like that, I will offer only my apologies from what we've seen was a bad call, but I won't change the call"? If so then yeh fine, I get that, it makes sense and I can live with it.

benny

I'd guess the reaction of the crowd and endless replays would have had him questioning what was the right thing to do. I'd rather they don't encourage TV producers to try to influence the game. Not to mention that they can't request a replay for a knock on away from the try line

drg

Haha, just noticed the French teams in this whole thing got screwed both times... Maybe that's why only one referee changed..to fit the narrative of 'upset the French at all costs'

colombes

Good to see refs assuming fails, but what does the law says on it? 2 refs admitting clear mistakes, only one changing his decision, odd. It reminds me this another one. https://youtu.be/-nf-v3bxXPI?t=1h42m20s

drg

Not sure why Doyle couldn't just restart with a scrum to Clermont? He admits he makes a mistake, which is fine, as he said, we all make them, but seeing as he created a stoppage in play, why not just give the ball back to Clermont? If he'd been in the way of a pass he'd have blown the whistle and given a scrum to the attacking team.. I wouldn't say this situation was all that much different..

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Training Videos

Player Features

Two Referees do the unthinkable and admit they made mistakes | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos