Do Not Sell My Personal Information
RugbyDump RugbyDump
Wednesday Mar 6, 2013

Darren Cave picks up concussion after two big tackles vs Treviso

Darren Cave picks up concussion after two big tackles vs Treviso
Comments

Ulster slipped to second place on the RaboDirect PRO12 table as Treviso pulled back a 14-point deficit and scored a late equalising try. Earlier in the game centre Darren Cave had to leave the field after making two big tackles in succession.

Kiwi Dean Budd scored a hat-trick and last minute as the sides drew 29-29 at Ravenhill on Friday. Treviso could have snatched the win if it weren’t for a missed conversion by Alberto Di Bernardo.

Earlier in the game the home side lost Darren Cave to injury after he made a big crash tackle on opposite number Luca Morisi. Cave played on despite the knock, but Morisi had to be replaced.

About a minute later the Ireland capped centre, a possible successor to Brian O’Driscoll, made a second big tackle as Treviso broke out on attack.

Cave played on for another ten minutes but then had to leave the field. It has since been confirmed that he was ineligible for Ireland selection this coming weekend because of concussion.

The two tackles aren’t the biggest we’ve ever seen, but Cave’s doggedness and the fact that he stayed on makes them worth a look, especially after the amount of requests we received.

Irish fans: Do you think Cave will be a long term option for Ireland?

11 Comments

• browner
    9:14 PM 13/03/2013

The 2nd Tacle if you apply to Law 'interpretation' is a YC I've stopped the video, feet are up, upper body hits the ground first .... FACT Every sensible viewer will think it was fine [so do i] , so why is the Law so badly worded.

• 9:22 PM 08/03/2013

I agree, would love to see all the new talent get a run but I also think the All Blacks system of 7 leaders should be adopted. They have 7 named leaders who have to show example on and off the pitch to the new guys coming in. I have to say for Ireland, the Fiji game was the one I enjoyed the most over the past 12 months, fair enough, it's not tier one competition but when I think back to a very stale 20-15 win over Samoa a couple of years back with an average age of 30 on the pitch for Ireland I get shivers. Pity for Kidney, I thought he would have done better with what he had but he seems to just waste talent by being over conservative. We have a great new generation who came 5th in the U20 Jnr RWC, let them at it I say. And lastly, I hate to see Earls (a Kidney pet) on in front of the very much on form Trimble, especially after wasting a perfect try scoring opportunity against the Scots and having failed to impress in general. He hasn't lived up to his early potential, Trimble on the other hand is solid and reliable, I can't get my head round his omission from the starting line-up against France. Oh well....here's to dreaming!

• stroudos
    11:13 PM 07/03/2013

First tackle was awful. Legal as far as I can see, but just a shit tackle. Second is an absolute beauty though.

• eggsandbacon
    12:18 PM 07/03/2013

Sexton will continue playing for Ireland I believe.

• eggsandbacon
    12:14 PM 07/03/2013

That would be an awesome squad to bring, but I think 1 or 2 older players would be important as well to guide the younger guys through. I think most of those players will actually tour though, since its likely that a new coach will be brought in after the 6Nations. Henshaw, McSharry, Nagle, O'Donnell might not make the cut but I hope they do. They have all been extremely impressive this season.

• ronan
    12:52 AM 07/03/2013

well id much rather see cave in the centre than that stocking of shite earls..... the sooner kidney goes the better, give some new talent a proper chance, irish rugby has gone sooooooo stale....

• themull
    11:29 PM 06/03/2013

I completely agree that it's not dangerous, but do you remember Ferris' tackle last year against Wales was deemed dangerous by the citing commisioner?

• alasdairduncan3
    10:54 PM 06/03/2013

I've never seen anything like that cited before, it would be ridiculous to call that dangerous.

• 9:28 PM 06/03/2013

The first could be an alleged "no arm" tackle and the second was what is now classed as a "tip" tackle. I'm glad this referee's inconsistency allowed both. Strange no citing commissioner is getting all excited - I think it's probably because it was only on Irish TV so didn't get into the press when Stuart Barnes or some ignorant BBC commentator makes a fuss of it. The cynic in me may be starting to think the citing bodies are affected by publicity...

• eggsandbacon
    8:28 PM 06/03/2013

I definitely think Cave is a player for the future. He is a very solid defender at 13 and works really well with Luke Marshall and PJ. In my mind McFadden is a better 12 than 13, but Marshall will have that jersey for a while I think. I reckon Marshall/McFadden at 12 and Cave at 13, with Maddigan/PJ at 10 should be the looked at for the coming years. P.Marshall, PJ/Maddigan, L.Marshall/McFadden, Cave, Zebo, Gilroy, Fitzgerald/Henshaw/Jones should be the backline brought on tour this summer for Ireland (presuming Zebo/Gilroy don't get Lions selections, which I doubt they will). And bring Trimble and Bowe also to add some experience.

• themull
    8:17 PM 06/03/2013

While i agree that second tackle is completely legal and fine, I've seen far less get carded and cited etc..just goes to show the inconsistencies which are plaguing the game at the moment.. Not really sure about cave being BOD's successor..The centre partnership in a few years time will probable be Marshall and Earls or Marshall and McFadden..Although if Cave does keep putting in good performances then he will likely get his shot at the Irish set up(if Kidney is gone or gets a new attitude towards bringing guys into the squad)...The more competition we have the better...

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Amateur

Player Features

Darren Cave picks up concussion after two big tackles vs Treviso | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos