Force winger Nick Cummins gave another amusing interview after beating the Highlanders 31-29 in the fifth round of Super Rugby. The Honey Badger has had a few hilarious moments in the past, and this chat is right up there with the best.
He starts with speaking about getting a bit of meat, which if you don’t know by now is short for a meat pie, which is rhyming slang for getting a try. He then went on to explain his nickname.
“The badge? Long story short, basically there was a documentary on National Geographic or Animal Planet.. and I watched this thing and this honey badger was going toe to toe with a male lion and it was underneath him, the underdog obviously.
“But he’s on his back, clawing away, one, two, and then bloody.. the big fella got his ‘canastas’ (testicles) clawed off and he trotted off round the corner and fell over and the badger gets back up and I thought ‘what an animal, it’s bloody, that’s impressive’.”
Melodie Robinson, who is no stranger to live interviews – one shocker in particular comes to mind – clearly knew that Cummins has a bit of a way with words, so set him up nicely. She couldn’t help getting the giggles though, before Scotty Stevenson summed things up perfectly.
More Cummins quotes:
– “I bloody nearly ran up a drainpipe, one of them runs there”
– “If I end up getting a gig I’ll be going off like a cut snake.”
– “My old man woke me up in the morning. He was going off like a bag of cats.”
– “I’ve been doing it a good five years now. Lucky for me every bugger fell over and I got a gig.”
– “One of my old man’s sayings was if you want to make god laugh, you tell him your plans.”
– “He was sweating like a gypsy with a mortgage when he got up after scoring that try.”
– “We’re more focussed on tredding softly and carrying a big stick.”
– “The flamboyant French? They look all right. They have a good style about them with their hairdos. I might take a few pointers and go to a stylist to sort myself out. A few of the boys tell me I look a bit ordinary at times.”